Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Are (Many) Nissan Drivers So Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 11:26 AM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend has a qx4 (rich b@st@rd) and he's a good driver, although not in his family's accord wagon beater
Old 08-05-04, 12:07 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Why Are (Many) Nissan Drivers So Bad?

Originally posted by Iceman
I have noticed that at least 50% of the time when someone on the road pisses me off (driving under the speed limit in the left lane, going really slowly to an intersection then running a yellow light so I get stuck, leaving their blinker on for miles, cutting me off without warning, choosing to wash their windshield right in front of me right after I've waxed my baby, almost hitting me without looking where they're going, basically anything that makes me think "What a jerk!") it turns out to be a Nissan. I have shared this theory with family members and friends, and invariably they laugh at first then come back a week or a month later with awe in their voices and say that I'm right.

I don't know what it is about Nissan vehicles (and Infiniti counts, too)--something about their design or marketing or whatever, but it attracts BAD DRIVERS. Now I'm not saying that all Nissan drivers are bad; of course not. But given the percentage of vehicles on the road that are Nissans, they account for a disproportionately high number of "driving jerks".

So I challenge you first to take note from now on when you're driving. Whenever you see behavior that makes you wonder how someone got a license, notice if they're driving a Nissan. Let's revisit this in a week or a month once you've had a chance to pay attention for a bit and we'll see if anyone agrees with me. Then I'd love to discuss any theories as to why Nissan just seems to attract bad drivers! :eek:
Change Nissan to BMW.
Old 08-05-04, 01:37 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I'm shocked these 2 names havn't come up:

Newest model Impala's and Grand am's

Maybe its just because I live in ///Minnesota (we have no exotic dealerships so everyone buy's M5's and a few M3's) but there are so many punk mother ****ers tearing around like they are transporting a kidney. I get ****ty looks from grand am and impala owners (%99 of the time its punk white kids in there late teens early 20's) all the time.

The only people that come to mind that are bad enough drivers to endanger other people when they drive (like cut people off without signaling, driving on shoulder to pass) it was so bad I thought it was from the same 2 people but I remembered the first 3 letters of there plate I realized its much more people then i though.
Old 08-05-04, 01:57 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The bad drivers I have noticed are sorted by vehicle type rather than make. Minivan drivers are frequently oblivious and are usually the ones driving at a ridiculously slow speed or driving with the blinker on or making vague and accidental lane changes. SUV drivers are worse. They either do the super slow, clueless deal as described above or they drive like maniacs. The most frequent SUV moves around here are the super slow start with continuous acceleration (if the road is long enough, they will slowly accelerate from 0 to 90 before romping hard on the brakes for a stop sign that was well-advertised half a mile in advance), the panic braking and/or riding the brakes and the eratic lane changes with no signal. I constantly hear people say they feel safer in an SUV, but I'm not sure these people are really even safe in a library.
Old 08-05-04, 02:48 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy old *** thread!!
Old 08-05-04, 04:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it is location dependent. Depending on what part of the state I'm driving it could be BMW or Mercedes, Mini Vans or SUV, or pick up trucks. Actaully, I think stupid drivers drive anything they can get their hands on. I also see a lot of stupid Lexus drivers so no manufacture is immune from stupid drivers.
Old 08-06-04, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Hello! BMW drivers are the WORST! They are wreckless, rude, and think they own the road! Everyday, I see some BMW crackhead weaving through heavy traffic doing +90mph. And they'll cut you off just to get in a faster moving lane thinking they have the right to! And forget about getting pissed at a bimmer driver and letting them know about it. Even if they caused a ten car pile up, they'll be damn insulted if you give them a disapproving look. Even when you try to be nice and let one in ahead of you, they don't care. They'll toss you aside and cut off the next guy. Guy and girl bimmer drivers alike. This 740iL pissed me off so bad today and when I finally caught up to it, it was some dumb broad. And when I pulled beside her, she was all calm and unaware of her surroundings. She wasn't in a huge emergency rush somewhere, nor did she realize she almost caused an accident. This looked to be her NORMAL everyday driving style. Argh!!! Had to vent....
Lex, you are almost right. Bimmer jocks are the runner-ups (#2). Without question....and I've been driving over 30 years........the Mustang V8 jocks take the cake....hands down. GT's, Mach 1's, Cobras, SVT's, Roush'es...the Mustang V8 guys are THE most dangerous drivers I have ever seen....at least here in the D.C. area. Now, of course, not ALL Mustang drivers are wild and dangerous, but a very high percentage of them ARE. They have caused more fatal accidents in this area than any other single type of vehicle. Interestingly, as a whole, the archrival Camaro and Firebird jocks seem to show a little more sense on the road.

Now...as for Nissans being the prime fodder for driving granny-style and holding everybody up in the left lane, forgetting to signal, etc.......dunno Where I live here, this seems to be mostly either people looking for addresses or the senior citizens in their LeSabres, Grand Marquis'es, and DeVilles.
Old 08-06-04, 10:03 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Out here it's typically Ford Ranger drivers (especially construction workers and punk dudes with stupid pre-runner trucks) and SUV owners...

After all, the big SUV people don't have time to pay attention- they're busy on the phone. 9 times out of 10 when I see a big SUV on my daily commute, there is ONE PERSON in the truck. Owner's defend these giant rigs with "But they;re such practical vehicles!"

Have fun putting kids through college (Harvard kid, not on scholarship: "my dad owns a gas station")! Enjoy that...
Old 08-07-04, 06:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 97 Maxima SE and I certainly don't drive in the manner you guys are describing. My wife also drives the Max (it's really her car) and she is an awesome driver. She is not the timid slow driver that a lot of females are (my apologies to any females reading this - no offense intended) .

I have not noticed this erratic behaviour to any one car model either.............
Old 04-19-21, 11:08 AM
notreleven
Driver School Candidate

I drive a Nissan Titan myself and I don’t speak for the brand or the stereotype that lies within tho I have my days where I do like to floor my truck up to the speed limit and yes I blast my music at full volume (not a night tho) but I am told that I am a very polite driver and I’m not complete road junky but I do acknowledge that most of the Time when I get cut off it’s Nissans and BMWs (and then young people in sports cars)
Old 04-19-21, 11:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

I think this is a record! This thread will turn 19 next month.
Old 04-19-21, 11:30 AM
notreleven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
I think this is a record! This thread will turn 19 next month.
let’s keep it going there is alway a new Nissan driver to complain about
Old 04-19-21, 11:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

These threads don't tend to be very productive.
Closed.