Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

L.A. Car Thieves and Baited Escalades.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default L.A. Car Thieves and Baited Escalades.

Do any of you watch the series "Bait Car" on the TruTV cable network?

http://www.trutv.com/shows/bait_car/index.html

I watch it regularly, and enjoy it....although it is not terribly well-filmed, with too may cuts, splices, and sound-bites. Car theft is so bad in the SoCal area that the LAPD uses electronically-rigged, "baited" vehicles (usually a black or white Cadillac Escalade, but sometimes other vehicles as well). The worst theft-rate neighborhoods are chosen for the sting operations. Two or more undercover policewomen will pose as ordinary females faking an argument, pregnancy, or other altercation, leave a specially-rigged Escalade by the curb, with keys in it and doors unlocked, and then take off on foot and clear the immediate area. Meanwhile, several unmarked police cruisers are parked, clandestingly, not far away, carefully watching the Escalade......everyone is

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 04:23 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've seen several episodes but it's been awhile since I last seen the show.
Old 01-10-10, 04:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

me too. I havent seen it but used to love watching the guys get in the car and start celebrating then the car gets shut down and doors get locked. Those guys are so damn stupid. You have to be to try to steal a car that you saw just sitting there with the keys in it.
Old 01-10-10, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do any of you watch the series "Bait Car" on the TruTV cable network?

http://www.trutv.com/shows/bait_car/index.html

I watch it regularly, and enjoy it....although it is not terribly well-filmed, with too may cuts, splices, and sound-bites. Car theft is so bad in the SoCal area that the LAPD uses electronically-rigged, "baited" vehicles (usually a black or white Cadillac Escalade, but sometimes other vehicles as well). The worst theft-rate neighborhoods are chosen for the sting operations. Two or more undercover policewomen will pose as ordinary females faking an argument, pregnancy, or other altercation, leave a specially-rigged Escalade by the curb, with keys in it and doors unlocked, and then take off on foot and clear the immediate area. Meanwhile, several unmarked police cruisers are parked, clandestingly, not far away, carefully watching the Escalade......everyone is
For some reason, the bottom paragraph of my post might (?) have gotten cut off after it was posted. I don't know why....it originally posted OK

Some of you might be able to read it....others not.
Old 01-10-10, 04:54 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reminds me that one time my mother accidentally left a spare key in the car's passenger seat and someone apparently opened the door cause we came back one door was slightly open, but nothing was taken... I guess whomever opened it thought it was too easy and it must be bait. haha
Old 01-10-10, 05:46 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
This reminds me that one time my mother accidentally left a spare key in the car's passenger seat and someone apparently opened the door cause we came back one door was slightly open, but nothing was taken... I guess whomever opened it thought it was too easy and it must be bait. haha
I was walking with a friend I just made whose never seen my car, so he doesn't what it looks like. And we're walking on the sidewalk and I stop at the intersection cause its red, but he thinks we arrived at my car, so he opens the passenger door, sits in, and closes the door and buckle up....i laughed so hard.
Old 01-10-10, 08:27 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

craziest one i've seen was a local one. in one of the suburbs, a guy high on meth.

it's the 2nd one called "oncoming"

http://www.baitcar.com/video?page=2

interestingly enough. we have the largest amount of bait cars in north america. 47% drop in car theft in a sketchy city named surrey. surrey was called the car theft capital of north america....
Old 01-10-10, 08:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it when criminals make it so easy for the the authorities to catch them. Too bad the penalties aren't harsh enough though as they never learn.
Old 01-10-10, 08:58 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people have the worse excuses in the world.