Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 08:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Elbow room is fine--I put one arm on the windowsill and one on the armrest, and only occasionally bump elbows with my wife. Headroom is likewise no issue--the seats are extremely low, so my head clears the front/side of the sunroof opening by a little over an inch. The seats are pretty much exactly as wide as my frame, so I don't have problems with shoulder or hip room either. I see three possibilities here:

1. The E90 3-series is a LOT smaller in these dimensions than my E46, and you've only tried the newer models, while I haven't (I haven't sat in a 3-series newer than about 2002).
2. Despite being shorter, you have a substantially bigger upper body (and much shorter legs) than I do.
3. You've only tried 3s with the Sport Package. I can't even come remotely close to sitting in the 3-series Sport seats--the bolsters are just ridiculously tiny, and I can't see anyone with a 30" or better waist being comfortable in them.

Yeah, the 5 is already on my list (used obviously--I ain't paying $60k for one), and I've added the A6 thanks to several suggestions here.
The 3 series I test drove wasnt a sport package, I hate sport packages on a BMW, its way too rough of a ride. It was an 08 328 and 335, dont get me wrong, I do fit in there but just not comfortably.

I am sure you can get a 2 year old 5 series or a brand new A6 for less than $50K.
Old 01-11-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since your preference is for a traditional 3-pedal manual transmission, that may be very hard to find on an M45. In fact, I don't think they built any for the American market.

For 35K, your target price, you don't necessarily have to buy used. Check out the new 2010 Subaru Legacy GT (not older ones, as they will probably be too small for your needs). The new 2010 model meets much of your criteria. It is substantially larger inside (room for four 6-footers) than the old model, comes ONLY with a tradtional manual transmisson, starts out around 28-30K depending on trim level (typically optioned models will run low-mid-30's), has reasonable gas mileage, a solid reliability record, good fit/finish, full-time all-wheel drive (you will appreciate that in winter), and a decent amount of power. The only possible snag is the Bluetooth......I didn't see it on the option list, but you can check with Subaru on that (a new audio-electronics option will soon be available). I'm also not wild about the body styling....but that, of course, is a subjective matter.
Old 01-11-10, 09:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Yeah Mike, the Legacy GT Limited made my short-list (midway through my massive OP), largely due to the turbo/MT combination combined with the size increase for 2010. Bluetooth for phonecalls is standard on the Limited (not available on the Premium or lower models as far as I can tell), as you can see here. Not sure if it has A2DP for streaming music via bluetooth, but there's an optional iPod/iPhone interface cable that would be almost as good of a solution (I have an iPhone, which I use for Pandora, XM, and iPod functionality in the car).

Edit: A2DP audio streaming is actually available on the Premium via the MediaHub with Streaming option, or in the Limited with Moonroof (??) and Navigation options. So I'd be golden there.

Last edited by geko29; 01-11-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-10, 09:50 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about 2005-07 Acura TL? It's a FWD but drives well and you may be able to find a stick
Old 01-11-10, 10:02 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would do a m45 just no stick
Old 01-11-10, 11:36 AM
LexFather

Once you can get past the styling the 535/550 manual seems to have a lot of what you want. They have gotten drilled (especially the 550) in regards to resale so deals are a plenty.

Old 01-11-10, 11:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Once you can get past the styling the 535/550 manual seems to have a lot of what you want. They have gotten drilled (especially the 550) in regards to resale so deals are a plenty.
I agree, I seen some used 2008 535i out there for about $35000.
Old 01-11-10, 11:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, I seen some used 2008 535i out there for about $35000.
$35k? Those examples must have over 60k on the clock & sitting on some used lot. If you must buy used op get a car with very low mileage. At some point you will get tired of buying second hand vehicles. For $35k go new.
Old 01-11-10, 12:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
$35k? Those examples must have over 60k on the clock & sitting on some used lot. If you must buy used op get a car with very low mileage. At some point you will get tired of buying second hand vehicles. For $35k go new.
A simple search shows plenty under 40/30k miles and with a warrenty/remainder of the warranty.

Buying new or used is no right or wrong way. The buyer has a choice to decide which method they prefer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1263239842274

Certified BMWs have quite a few in that range as well
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...delsearch.aspx

Old 01-11-10, 12:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Believe me, I was shock too. These are 1 or 2 year old $60000 BMWs going for $35000 and some with low mileage too. From what I understand, these Bangle design 5 series are not selling too well and they are over stock. If I was in the market for a used BMW and dont mind the Bangle design and the interior, I would have pick one up because its a bargain.
Old 01-11-10, 12:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Believe me, I was shock too. These are 1 or 2 year old $60000 BMWs going for $35000 and some with low mileage too. From what I understand, these Bangle design 5 series are not selling too well and they are over stock. If I was in the market for a used BMW and dont mind the Bangle design and the interior, I would have pick one up because its a bargain.
Amazing. The 535 is a nice car indeed but $35k is new car territory imo. The smell, feel & joy of a new car is a good feeling. You will be the first to break it in & make history.
Old 01-11-10, 12:36 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Amazing. The 535 is a nice car indeed but $35k is new car territory imo. The smell, feel & joy of a new car is a good feeling. You will be the first to break it in & make history.
I am of the same opinion as you. If I have a choice of a new car or a nicer used car, I would pick the new car any day of the week. There are many opinions in here for both cases with some pretty good reasons behind it.
Old 01-11-10, 12:47 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

I've seen literally dozens of listings for 2008 535is in my area with under 15k miles (most under 10k) between $33 and $39k.

And FWIW, I've actually never bought a used vehicle before. I've bought one new old stock (previous model year but new) and one demo, but never a pre-titled vehicle.
Old 01-11-10, 01:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen literally dozens of listings for 2008 535is in my area with under 15k miles (most under 10k) between $33 and $39k.
I would pass.

And FWIW, I've actually never bought a used vehicle before. I've bought one new old stock (previous model year but new) and one demo, but never a pre-titled vehicle.
Keep the streak going!
Old 01-11-10, 01:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The biggest thing I would worry about if I were buying a used BMW 535 is the fuel pump. I bet a good number of used 535 have the fuel pump problems.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)