Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 01:41 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would pass.

Keep the streak going!
Well he doesn't have many options for "new" cars. OP although you've already passed on it I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the new A4. It's as big as the A6 used to be a few generations ago. You can get a well equipped model with 6MT in your price range NEW. Also, reconsider the standard non-V CTS.
Old 01-11-10, 02:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

From the choices you provided, I would go for the used 535i. Then probably a new Hyundai Genesis sedan or a slightly used Lexus GS350.
Old 01-11-10, 02:53 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

When I was M3 shopping I came across two 5series that were manual so they are out there.

Going from your list, I suggest either keep the 3 you have and do the necessary fixes (this depends how much you like your 3) - OR - start your search for a manual 5.

I think if you bought a Nissan or a Hyundai you would regret the purchase or at the very least you would find your self often looking back at your 3 often thinking *what if I had __________ instead* (I'm very anti-'what if')
Old 01-11-10, 09:36 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Comming from a 3-series, I agree with the prior poster that you'll regret getting a Subaru or Hyundai. The Maxima is not too bad, but the front drive platform has its limitations. Sorry if you already answered this, but are there any reasons why you are not looking at a new Infiniti G37?

Searching cars.com, there's a ton of used 2007 and 2008 535 and 550. OR go to a dealer, and get a used one with an extended warranty if you're worried about long-term maintenance. That way, even if you're unfortunate in getting a semi-lemon, at least it'll extend your warranty for a while.

I've been on the AudiForum searching for another "family-friendly" addition to my IS350 (looking at everything from an A4 avant, A6 avant, Q5), Audis seem to have all sorts of problems. The A4 and Q5 doesn't seem to have as many complaints as the A6. Worst, it seems most Audi dealers do not treat their customers well, and parts take forever to get delivered to the states. As much as I like the styling of the A6, I would stay away from them.
Old 01-11-10, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Comming from a 3-series, I agree with the prior poster that you'll regret getting a Subaru or Hyundai. The Maxima is not too bad, but the front drive platform has its limitations. Sorry if you already answered this, but are there any reasons why you are not looking at a new Infiniti G37?
The G37 is indeed a good pick, especially with the AWD option, but I have to disagree with your negative views of Subaru and Hyundai. Both offer good quality and value for the money. The superb 3-series steering/chassis is hard to beat from a driver-oriented standpoint, but that is not the only criteria he is looking for.
Old 01-11-10, 10:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry if you already answered this, but are there any reasons why you are not looking at a new Infiniti G37?
The back seat on the 2007 or 2008 G35 (especially foot room) I checked out the last time I was car shopping was abysmal, even compared to my 323i. Since I'm looking to go bigger rather than smaller and Wiki says "Exterior, interior and options remain identical to the 2008 G35 model range but the sedan now also sports the 3.7-liter VQ37VHR "VVEL" V6" about the newer G37, I hadn't even bothered to look.

I've been on the AudiForum searching for another "family-friendly" addition to my IS350 (looking at everything from an A4 avant, A6 avant, Q5), Audis seem to have all sorts of problems. The A4 and Q5 doesn't seem to have as many complaints as the A6. Worst, it seems most Audi dealers do not treat their customers well, and parts take forever to get delivered to the states. As much as I like the styling of the A6, I would stay away from them.
That's indeed troubling. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 01-12-10, 04:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are many used 3GS on the market, 430's and 350's in the mid 30 range. I think they are a steal for the price.
Old 01-12-10, 05:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are many used 3GS on the market, 430's and 350's in the mid 30 range. I think they are a steal for the price.
There are some 450h models in that range too, which are an even bigger steal. I'll have to see, however, if I still find the rear seat (footroom, mostly) as tight, and the visibility out the windshield as poor for someone of my height as I did in 2007 while shopping for my wife's car and attending the Taste of Lexus event.
Old 01-12-10, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I don’t think any problem Audi have is as wide spread as BMW's fuel pump disaster. Most of the problems are not wide spread except for the coil packs which is easy to repair and they do have those in stock most of the time. Heck I can go to any make of car's forum and pick out a bunch of post which the owner have problems. Audi is no worst in reliability than BMW and MB. I happen to own an A6, so far, not one single problem with it and my Audi dealer is much better than my local BMW dealer. Generally, I find the Lexus dealer to be the best, but even the Audi dealers are different from one dealer to another. In this day of new design every 5 to 6 years, who can stock all their parts any more. Toyota are famous for getting their parts fast, but even some of their parts takes weeks to get.
Old 01-12-10, 06:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

honestly, I checked autotrader and with CPO 2008/2009 super lo mileage 535i's at mid to high $30's, that's what I'd be looking at.

for that price you might have to swap wheels....really love the M5 wheels....
Old 01-12-10, 03:56 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The G37 is indeed a good pick, especially with the AWD option, but I have to disagree with your negative views of Subaru and Hyundai. Both offer good quality and value for the money. The superb 3-series steering/chassis is hard to beat from a driver-oriented standpoint, but that is not the only criteria he is looking for.
I don't mean it as a negative review. I completely agree with you Mike, that the Subaru and Hyundai are good value for the money and I'm a big fan of the Legacy; but I'm getting the feel that geko29 is looking for a bit more luxury and a lot of power. IMO, not necessarily the right pick for him.

Originally Posted by The G Man
...Heck I can go to any make of car's forum and pick out a bunch of post which the owner have problems. Audi is no worst in reliability than BMW and MB. ...
I know, I'm generalizing a bit too much; and every forum has complaints of issues. This is just been my experience surfing the audiforum. Heck, I'm willing to take a chance and get an Audi (because I love their interior and exterior design, and AWD platform).