Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 06:22 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)

I've got an E46 323i that'll be 10 years old in September, and I've been telling my wife for several months that I'll need to do some major suspension work in the spring. Combine that with new tires in the coming fall, and that means roughly $2500 investment in the car this year, where the total investment over the past nine years has been around $1500, including oil, brakes, and tires. It's been a spectacularly reliable car, needing only a resistor, battery, and alternator replaced over the entire nine years I've owned it. But the impending expenses has my wife wondering if we shouldn't just replace it early (this year rather than 2012-13). She makes valid points in that it's an older car, we don't know what repair expenses will be coming, is getting a little small for us, and the interior is starting to show some wear (especially the driver's seat). The flipside of buying earlier is we have to go a little cheaper. My first choice of a new car is a CTS-V, but that probably wouldn't happen even three years from now. So I'm exploring options between $30-40k with a target of $35k, and here's what I'm looking to do:

Requirements:
-New or late-model used (nothing older than 2006, the newer the better)
-Comfortable for four 6-footers. The usual occupants are myself (6'4"), my wife (5'11"), my father-in-law (5'10") and a 2 year old who'll be tall enough for most roller coasters (42") by the end of this year.
-Nicely equipped.
-Bluetooth for phone calls at a minimum.
-Better than average reliability.
-Reasonable fuel economy--I'm not expecting a Prius, but don't want to average <18mpg either.

Strong preferences:
-RWD
-Manual transmission
-Fun to drive
-Bluetooth for audio streaming

Here's some options I've come up with so far:

Do nothing (keep 2000 BMW 323i)
Pros:
-Car has been paid off for 6 years, continues to be paid off.
-Still fun to drive, despite only having ~160hp
-RWD
-Manual transmission
-History of reliability
-Good gas mileage (currently averaging 26mpg, has averaged as high as 31mpg over several months when more highway driving was involved)
Cons:
-Front seats have to be moved up more than we'd like to accommodate rear seat passengers.
-$2500 guaranteed expenses this year, unknown beyond that.
-Starting to show its age.

Used (~2008) BMW 535i/550i

Pros:
-Low mileage (<10k 535i, <25k 550i) widely available for mid-$30k range
-RWD
-Twin turbo or V8 power
-Fun to drive
-previous good experience with BMW
Cons:
-Manual transmission basically impossible to find in used market.
-Possible reliability issues (my own current experience notwithstanding)

New Nissan Maxima
Pros:
-Fully loaded stickers for $38k, could probably OTD at $32-33k
-TONS of equipment (heated steering wheel, A/C driver's seat, rear seat audio/HVAC controls, dual moonroofs, HDD audio system, etc.)
-Bluetooth audio streaming
-Prior model (2007) I test drove was suprisingly fun for a FWD family car.
Cons:
-Moderate reliability
-FWD only
-Automatic only

New Subaru Legacy
Pros:
-Fully loaded comes in well under budget (~$31k)
-Turbo
-Manual transmission
-AWD (it isn't RWD, but at least it isn't FWD! )
-Very good reliability
Cons:
-Not the best looking of the bunch
-A little less interior space
-Fewer toys/equipment than the others

New Hyundai Genesis
Pros:
-short-wheelbase LS equivalent in many respects for $30k less.
-V8
-RWD
-Very nicely equipped with Technology package
-Should be reliable
Cons:
-Softly sprung--could possibly be tightened up later, but will probably never be a sport sedan.
-At the very top of the price spectrum (MSRP around $43k, probably OTD for just under $40k), may not be able to sell wife on cost.

So any thoughts on those choices? Is there something I've completely overlooked that I should be considering? I wanted to put the Taurus SHO on the list as well, but my wife saw me looking at it and said "We'll never own a Ford", despite my general good experiences driving them for 5 years as company cars, and the fact that the last car she picked out on her own was a Chrysler Sebring that has cost over $50k in total, between the $33k purchase and all the repairs/maintenance it's needed over the past 10 years.

Whatever we get, we'll be buying in mid-late summer and keeping for at least 10 years, so factor that in as well. Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited by geko29; 01-11-10 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-11-10, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You come from tall genes I see, how did you guys fit into that BMW 3 series
Old 01-11-10, 06:34 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a lightly used loaded CTS if you want, and there maybe a lightly used almost new CTS-V in your area. Those things depreciate like crazy, so I wouldn't be surprised if you found one in your price range.

To add to your lists, I think you should consider the Audi A4 and if you can deal with it's styling the Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT.
Old 01-11-10, 06:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The G Man
It's amazingly roomy for such a small car. I actually can't get the clutch all the way to the floor with the driver's seat in the rearmost position. Of course, in my preferred driving position, my father-in-law can't force himself into the seat behind me But despite being barely larger than a civic, it's got about the same amount of leg/head room as a Taurus, Accord, or Camry from the early '90's. I think the scant 4" of front overhang helps with that somewhat
Old 01-11-10, 06:36 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^1, funny, that's the first question I had ?
Old 01-11-10, 06:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

How about a CPO Infiniti G37? Or M45?
Old 01-11-10, 06:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by (Cj)
You can get a lightly used loaded CTS if you want, and there maybe a lightly used almost new CTS-V in your area. Those things depreciate like crazy, so I wouldn't be surprised if you found one in your price range.
If I could get a sub-$40k CTS-V, I'd be golden. Autotrader doesn't turn any up in my area, but I'll keep looking if they really depreciate that quickly. Don't know that I'd bother with a standard CTS though, between being a tad bit smaller than I'd prefer (but would be willing to accept for 500hp! ), and undoubtedly only available with an auto in the used market.

Originally Posted by (Cj)
To add to your lists, I think you should consider the Audi A4 and if you can deal with it's styling the Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT.
The A4 has a more cramped interior than the 3-series, so it's straight out. My wife actually suggested the TL, because we looked at it a few years ago when we wound up buying the RX350, but then I showed her the current model and she vomited. If it wasn't so hideous, it definitely would have made the list (Acura, are you listening, you damn fools?).

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
How about a CPO Infiniti G37? Or M45?
Backseat on the last G35 I looked at (think it was the current gen, just with the older/smaller engine) was smaller than my 3. If I'm mistaken and it's actually gotten bigger, I'd definitely look. M45 might be worth a shot though. We checked it out when we bought the RX350, but it was a tad out of our price range, so it might be worth another look in the used market.

Last edited by geko29; 01-11-10 at 06:46 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-10, 06:45 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
If I could get a sub-$40k CTS-V, I'd be golden. Autotrader doesn't turn any up in my area, but I'll keep looking if they really depreciate that quickly. Don't know that I'd bother with a standard CTS though, between being a tad bit smaller than I'd prefer (but would be willing to accept for 500hp! ), and undoubtedly only available with an auto in the used market.

The A4 has a more cramped interior than the 3-series, so it's straight out. My wife actually suggested the TL, because we looked at it a few years ago when we wound up buying the RX350, but then I showed her the current model and she vomited. If it wasn't so hideous, it definitely would have made the list (Acura, are you listening, you damn fools?).

Backseat on the last G35 I looked at (think it was the current gen, just with the older/smaller engine) was smaller than my 3. M45 might be worth a shot though. We checked it out when we bought the RX350, but it was a tad out of our price range, so it might be worth another look in the used market.
Haha, but it looks like for the size and class of vehicle you want you'll have to look used. I would go with a used GS or 5 series
Old 01-11-10, 06:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Contrary to popular internet belief that 3 series has served you well. 10+ yrs is a long time to hold on to a car for sure. Go new.. $35k is your target? Hold your wallet for this beauty below. I am ditching the GS for the revival of the true GS targeted for enthusiasts I am getting this car in white to go with the other cloud!

Check it out for yourself when available.

Old 01-11-10, 07:02 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for a used M35/45. I am 6-6 and my wife is 6-0. I sit with my seat all the way back and could fit fine behind myself in that car. I currently own a 2005 LS 430 and if sportiness is not a huge factor you can't beat the room in it either!
Old 01-11-10, 07:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You picked a good list of possible candidates and I think it will be hard to narrow it down to one.

At first glance the 5 Series would probably be my first pick but like you said, reliability has been spotty, especially on the 535i with it's fuel pump issues. Perhaps the 550i will be better, but then you are really down on the scale for fuel economy.

I absolutely love the Maxima (LOVE it) but really do not have any desire to own a FWD car again. If you really like to drive and feel like torque steer could ruin it for you then the answer is already made. Aside FWD, it's a handsome car with a great looking interior, nice features, and good size. Competitively priced too.

The Legacy is nice but probably wouldn't be my first pick among these, as it feels a few cuts below the others.

I am not typically a Hyundai Genesis fan, but looking at your criteria it seems to satisfy all of them except for having a manual. The car is good size, RWD, well optioned, gets decent MPG, and has been reliable from most accounts that I have seen. Looking at the vehicles that you listed this might be my first choice since the BMW leaves you in somewhat of a Catch22.

Personally I am an advocate of buying used- I think you get a lot more for your money overall and you avoid that initial depreciation hit. I think Dave made great suggestions in recommending a used G37, M35, or M45. Those are great cars that would satisfy your needs quite well. You could also consider a used GS350 or A6, though I don't know that either of those are as fun to drive as the Infinitis. You could also look at used Lexus LSs, Mercedes S Classes, or Audi A8s. Those aren't exactly "fun" per se, but they are a whole other league of car, too.

Good luck
Old 01-11-10, 07:17 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Contrary to popular internet belief that 3 series has served you well. 10+ yrs is a long time to hold on to a car for sure. Go new.. $35k is your target? Hold your wallet for this beauty below. I am ditching the GS for the revival of the true GS targeted for enthusiasts I am getting this car in white to go with the other cloud!

Check it out for yourself when available.

That car is in the same class as the Acura TSX and A4. I think the OP wants something bigger, in the midsize lux class...

@OP If you do look into a Buick (FYI no MT), the LaCrosse would be more in your size range.

Originally Posted by El Toro
My vote is for a used M35/45. I am 6-6 and my wife is 6-0. I sit with my seat all the way back and could fit fine behind myself in that car. I currently own a 2005 LS 430 and if sportiness is not a huge factor you can't beat the room in it either!
The Infiniti M is ok, but it also doesn't offer a MT which the OP said he preferred.
Old 01-11-10, 08:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's amazingly roomy for such a small car. I actually can't get the clutch all the way to the floor with the driver's seat in the rearmost position. Of course, in my preferred driving position, my father-in-law can't force himself into the seat behind me But despite being barely larger than a civic, it's got about the same amount of leg/head room as a Taurus, Accord, or Camry from the early '90's. I think the scant 4" of front overhang helps with that somewhat
Leg room is one thing, how about elbow room, head room or shoulder and hip room. I am 5, 10" and I cannot even get comfortable in the 3 series. If you want to stay with European and u think the A4 is too small, you can probably get a used a A6 in your price range, thats a much bigger car. Maybe a used 5 series as well, I hear they are dirt cheap now because no one wants those ugly Chris Bangle designs and the new 5 series is coming out soon.
Old 01-11-10, 08:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I absolutely love the Maxima (LOVE it) but really do not have any desire to own a FWD car again. If you really like to drive and feel like torque steer could ruin it for you then the answer is already made. Aside FWD, it's a handsome car with a great looking interior, nice features, and good size. Competitively priced too.
Yeah that FWD is really my only sticking point on it (well that and the lack of a manual). If they had just made it AWD in the redesign, it'd probably be the easy winner here. It's still tempting because it's just such a great package though (and is pretty much the only FWD model I'm considering)

The Legacy is nice but probably wouldn't be my first pick among these, as it feels a few cuts below the others.
Fair criticism. It made the list because I wouldn't mind a WRX/Evo but they're just too darn small. With the WRX drivetrain, it should be a similarly fun car that's still livable for 4 people.

I am not typically a Hyundai Genesis fan, but looking at your criteria it seems to satisfy all of them except for having a manual. The car is good size, RWD, well optioned, gets decent MPG, and has been reliable from most accounts that I have seen. Looking at the vehicles that you listed this might be my first choice since the BMW leaves you in somewhat of a Catch22.
Lack of a manual and presuming a lack of fun-to-drive quotient (along with the price) are the major sticking points here. Unfortunately, I really can't drop the price by going used, because there were some suspension issues in the 2009s that were cleared up for the 2010 model year.

Personally I am an advocate of buying used- I think you get a lot more for your money overall and you avoid that initial depreciation hit. I think Dave made great suggestions in recommending a used G37, M35, or M45. Those are great cars that would satisfy your needs quite well.
I'm definitely going to check the Ms out--M45s seem to be a little tough to come by in my price class unless I go REALLY old (2004-2005) and high mileage (over 50k), but there are lots of M35X models around, so they're worth a look. I'd still prefer RWD over AWD, but 6-cylinder non-X models seem to be exceedingly rare.

You could also consider a used GS350 or A6, though I don't know that either of those are as fun to drive as the Infinitis. You could also look at used Lexus LSs, Mercedes S Classes, or Audi A8s. Those aren't exactly "fun" per se, but they are a whole other league of car, too.
The GS we tried at the Taste of Lexus event was a little tighter than I expected (maybe the IS underpinnings were showing), and I had trouble seeing out the windshield past the low roofline because I'm so tall. A6/S6 definitely merits a look. I'd love a used LS, but the LS430 turns my wife off because it "looks like a grandpa car", and LS460s look better but also cost more. I'm not a Mercedes person, but the A8 is an interesting option, and there are quite a few 2006s in my price range--mostly higher mileage, but it IS a nice car, and relatively athletic for its size/class.

Good luck
Thanks, and thanks everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old 01-11-10, 08:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Leg room is one thing, how about elbow room, head room or shoulder and hip room. I am 5, 10" and I cannot even get comfortable in the 3 series.
Elbow room is fine--I put one arm on the windowsill and one on the armrest, and only occasionally bump elbows with my wife. Headroom is likewise no issue--the seats are extremely low, so my head clears the front/side of the sunroof opening by a little over an inch. The seats are pretty much exactly as wide as my frame, so I don't have problems with shoulder or hip room either. I see three possibilities here:

1. The E90 3-series is a LOT smaller in these dimensions than my E46, and you've only tried the newer models, while I haven't (I haven't sat in a 3-series newer than about 2002).
2. Despite being shorter, you have a substantially bigger upper body (and much shorter legs) than I do.
3. You've only tried 3s with the Sport Package. I can't even come remotely close to sitting in the 3-series Sport seats--the bolsters are just ridiculously tiny, and I can't see anyone with a 30" or better waist being comfortable in them.

If you want to stay with European and u think the A4 is too small, you can probably get a used a A6 in your price range, thats a much bigger car. Maybe a used 5 series as well, I hear they are dirt cheap now because no one wants those ugly Chris Bangle designs and the new 5 series is coming out soon.
Yeah, the 5 is already on my list (used obviously--I ain't paying $60k for one), and I've added the A6 thanks to several suggestions here.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a ~$35k car (LONG)