Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac XTS Platimum Concept is a 350-hp Plug-In Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:03 PM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cadillac XTS Platimum Concept is a 350-hp Plug-In Hybrid

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...in-hybrid.html

Cadillac wasn’t secretive that it was showing a concept version of it’s upcoming XTS flagship, but GM’s luxury brand certainly did hide the fact that it was a plug-in hybrid. Until now.

Set to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show, the XTS Platinum Concept certainly looks like a true flagship for the premium brand. Finally, there’s a Cadillac that wouldn’t look out-of-sorts parked next to a Mercedes S-Class. Size wise, it’s definitely large measuring 203.5-inches (3.5-inches longer than an S-Class), however, the wheelbase is considerably less at 111.7-inches (about 8-inches less than an S-Class). It is also roughly one inch wider than an S-Class.

Sadly, the XTS isn’t rear drive, however, it does feature an all-wheel drive setup. Added handling and agility are provided thanks to 20-inch wheels, and GM’s Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) shocks that measure the road every millisecond and adjust just as fast.

As for the plug-in hybrid system, it uses an electric motor, lithium-ion battery and a 3.6-liter direct-injection V6 gasoline engine to make 350-hp and 295 ft-lbs of torque. Capable of operating as a conventional hybrid, thanks to the plug-in capability, Cadillac claims it can achieve up to twice the efficiency of a conventional hybrid in city driving. The lithium-ion battery can be charged fully in just five hours using a conventional household outlet.

With an imposing look and a powerful and efficient engine, we’re possibly most impressed by the car’s interior. As a concept, it takes Caddy’s “Platinum” line philosophy to the extreme, using ultra high-grade materials and keeping with the Platinum mantra to hand cut and sew the interior leather. There’s also plenty of suede and we even have to admit the wood trim (which we typically hate) looks stunning.

The Cadillac XTS is scheduled to go into production in the near future and we’ll be sure to keep you updated on how close to the concept the production model will be.
Old 01-11-10, 09:12 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much liking this
Old 01-11-10, 09:19 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"The Rock voice.....FINALLY"
Old 01-11-10, 09:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'll be the first to say that I am not impressed with this car at all. In fact I would venture to say that I find both the interior and exterior to be quite ugly. The exterior is reminiscent of the DTS and looks nothing like a flagship vehicle in my eyes.

FWIW, 350hp/295 lb-ft of torque hybrid V6 will not cut it in a class of 370+hp V8s. The flagship class isn't about frugality or efficiency.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-11-10 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 10:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Exterior is underwhelming but I'm liking the interior.
Old 01-11-10, 10:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

I was going to say that i like the interior, because i thought this was IS or GS competitiot... but LS/S series? It does not have the class.
Old 01-11-10, 11:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I think you guys are being a little quick to judge, keep in mind the target customer and how the world is different now then when the current 7/S/LS came out. A flagship no one drives isn't much of a success even if it is excessive in every way.
Old 01-12-10, 12:08 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Interior reminds me of the prototype sedans from Bugatti back in the 90s.

Good job Cadillac
Old 01-12-10, 04:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really liking that interior. A LOT!
Old 01-12-10, 05:07 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, this is definitely NOT a LS/S/7 competitor. For one it's FWD based, meaning it's more in line with the RL and A8. The A8 at least has a V8 and a longitudinal engine layout. Next gen RL is gonna be about this size plus it's going to be V6 hybrid only. Sounds like the XTS and RL are gonna be prime competitors. Not quite at the level of the A8/LS/S/7 but it'll appeal to a certain subset of buyers.
Old 01-12-10, 06:32 AM
Koma

Art and Science design philosophy makes it hard for me to tell the difference between this and a CTS.
Old 01-12-10, 07:20 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Art and Science design philosophy makes it hard for me to tell the difference between this and a CTS.
It'll be much easier to tell the difference on the road. This things proportions are more Avalon than anything, and the front overhang will likely be massive on the production model. The CTS has a MUCH better stance.

Old 01-12-10, 07:29 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

So wheres the updated Northstar for this thing? 350hp hybrid in a flagship? Next to an S-class Hybrid and an LS600h that just seems weak. Very impressed with the interior however, but that rear seat headrest needs to go.
Old 01-12-10, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Nicer interior, exterior is a complete yawn. We waited for that?

Nice powertrain....

Old 01-12-10, 09:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I knew a bigger brother to CTS was coming! Lutz & company are going to stuff this car with a 600hp ZR1 motor & create the XTS-V. Watch out!

Quick Reply: Cadillac XTS Platimum Concept is a 350-hp Plug-In Hybrid