Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Install Brake OverRide Across Lineup (Additional cars added)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Are you aware that he tracks his car (on a closed course)?
Yes and no. I knew he built competition engines (he's told us that, here on the forum)......but I wasn't sure if he actually did any competition driving.

The premise of my rotating question, of course, related to street driving, so, of course, it doesn't apply to track use.....that's a given. Heel-and-toe downshifting, though, can apply anywhere.....street or track.
Old 01-12-10, 04:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. I knew he built competition engines (he's told us that, here on the forum)......but I wasn't sure if he actually did any competition driving.

The premise of my rotating question, of course, related to street driving, so, of course, it doesn't apply to track use.....that's a given. Heel-and-toe downshifting, though, can apply anywhere.....street or track.
he track his isf regularly
Old 01-12-10, 04:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and no lol, but yes we know all that stuff ^^, before we drift offtopic.
Old 01-12-10, 04:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Yes Mike I'm talking about track driving, not street driving. And yes, I do track my IS-F, it was one of the reasons I traded my 350 for the F - its far better equipped than the 350 for track day fun. If left foot braking results in the engine going to idle, it's going to eliminate Lexus, Toyota, and Scion from performance driving fans. I hope they don't do this to the LF-A. It would make the whole supercar moniker a joke.
Old 01-12-10, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes Mike I'm talking about track driving, not street driving. And yes, I do track my IS-F, it was one of the reasons I traded my 350 for the F - its far better equipped than the 350 for track day fun. If left foot braking results in the engine going to idle, it's going to eliminate Lexus, Toyota, and Scion from performance driving fans. I hope they don't do this to the LF-A. It would make the whole supercar moniker a joke.
Thus my first post

Now I can't wait for the next argument (mostly by people not buying a Lexus, not going to buy a Lexus and has no interest in a Lexus, you know, the ones that made a big hoopla about this carpet thing) on the internetz...

"Lexus is unsafe and not fun b/c you can't left foot brake"....

Ahhh the vicious circle....

Old 01-12-10, 10:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes and no lol, but yes we know all that stuff ^^, before we drift offtopic.

I disagree that we're off topic, as the brake-override may indeed affect handling in the manner lobuxracer says it will. It will also (probably) affect heel-and-toe downshifting on the IS250 6MT. There's defintely going to be some complainers, but I think the majority of Lexus owners aren't going to have any problems with it.
Old 01-12-10, 10:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree that we're off topic, as the brake-override may indeed affect handling in the manner lobuxracer says it will. It will also (probably) affect heel-and-toe downshifting on the IS250 6MT. There's defintely going to be some complainers, but I think the majority of Lexus owners aren't going to have any problems with it.
The impact on handling is not what I meant by drifting offtopic ("before we drift offtopic" is what I mentioned I think), but you didn't go off on a tangent so that's a good thing.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-12-10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 10:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now I can't wait for the next argument (mostly by people not buying a Lexus, not going to buy a Lexus and has no interest in a Lexus, you know, the ones that made a big hoopla about this carpet thing) on the internetz...

"Lexus is unsafe and not fun b/c you can't left foot brake"....
I dont think the brake-override is something that is going to affect just Lexus vehicles. Don't be surprised if you see other manufacturers follow suit in a few years. Don't be surprised, either, if it becomes a Federal Safety standard, required in new cars.
Old 01-12-10, 10:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, don't expect any significant negative impact from the change.
Old 01-12-10, 10:36 PM
LexFather

I dont think the brake-override is something that is going to affect just Lexus vehicles. Don't be surprised if you see other manufacturers follow suit in a few years. Don't be surprised, either, if it becomes a Federal Safety standard, required in new cars.
The problem is people are dumb and now we have more complexity in a car. People would rather have the car try to save them instead of them trying to save themselves. Driver education is the key here but sadly it continues to be ignored. Meanwhile people like me (and others) who give a **** and take the time to learn how to drive are surrounded by people who could care less, once their car has x hp, has x cupholders and their NAV allows them to be used when they want. These same people want bigger and bigger vehicles b/c "they are safe" meanwhile the rest of us can't see **** around them. They also want to drive slow in the fast lane b/c speed kills and to hell with everyone else, they are the law.

I could understand there was a malfunction proven and this was needed. No malfunction was proven and the wrong gotdamn mats were in the wrong gotdamn car.

Then you wonder why Lexus lawyers refuse to disable NAV control when the car is in motion. Its to prevent dumbasses from getting in an accident then trying to sue them.

Old 01-12-10, 10:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The problem is people are dumb and now we have more complexity in a car. People would rather have the car try to save them instead of them trying to save themselves. Driver education is the key here but sadly it continues to be ignored. Meanwhile people like me (and others) who give a **** and take the time to learn how to drive are surrounded by people who could care less, once their car has x hp, has x cupholders and their NAV allows them to be used when they want. These same people want bigger and bigger vehicles b/c "they are safe" meanwhile the rest of us can't see **** around them. They also want to drive slow in the fast lane b/c speed kills and to hell with everyone else, they are the law.
I agree with much of what you say here....especially the part about not being able to see over tall SUVs (they sometimes block out overhead traffic lights and signs when stopped in front of you). Some complexity with cars, though, is good, if it actually does something useful and not simply as a nanny. EFI and electronic ignition are two great examples.....I would never want to go back to carburators and breaker-point ignition, like on the cars I grew up with. Both could be a PITA at times.

the wrong gotdamn mats were in the wrong gotdamn car.
.........with the wrong gotdamn clamps.

Then you wonder why Lexus lawyers refuse to disable NAV control when the car is in motion. Its to prevent dumbasses from getting in an accident then trying to sue them.
Of course, that's why Lexus hires these lawyers. Same reason most companies do........to try and prevent lawsuits in our litigation-happy society. Unfortunately (sorry, IS-SV, I'm going to drift off-topic for just one second here ).......... that sometimes means not overly-nanny cars, but other products as well. Look at the silly double-grip throttle-handle-bars on power-lawn mowers, for instance.....the moment you release them, the engine quits, and you have to restart it, often with a pull-rope. I got to the point where, when I used one, I tied the two bars together so I could release it and not have to continually restart.
Old 01-12-10, 10:59 PM
LexFather

I agree with much of what you say here....especially the part about not being able to see over tall SUVs (they sometimes block out overhead traffic lights and signs when stopped in front of you). Some complexity with cars, though, is good, if it actually does something useful and not simply as a nanny. EFI and electronic ignition are two great examples.....I would never want to go back to carburators and breaker-point ignition, like on the cars I grew up with. Both could be a PITA at times.

.........with the wrong gotdamn clamps.

Of course, that's why Lexus hires these lawyers. Same reason most companies do........to try and prevent lawsuits in our litigation-happy society. Unfortunately (sorry, IS-SV, I'm going to drift off-topic for just one second here ).......... that sometimes means not overly-nanny cars, but other products as well. Look at the silly double-grip throttle-handle-bars on power-lawn mowers, for instance.....the moment you release them, the engine quits, and you have to restart it, often with a pull-rope. I got to the point where, when I used one, I tied the two bars together so I could release it and not have to continually restart.
Yup...not just SUVs though...I'm amazed at how high and big new vehicles are.

I need a drink

Old 01-13-10, 04:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I could understand there was a malfunction proven and this was needed. No malfunction was proven and the wrong gotdamn mats were in the wrong gotdamn car.

I couldn't have said it better. Dumb people, lack of driver education, and scum lawyers are the problem. This whole floormat fiasco is pissing me off to no end, it is just blown out of proportion. Seriously, even before this accident happened, I was teaching my daughter to drive, and one of the first thing I taught her is to put the car in neutral if anything goes wrong with the gas pedal. It is a shame that we have adult drivers that aren't aware of this basic safety measure.
Old 01-13-10, 05:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TCM55
I am curious to see how this would affect those who would want to be able to do a burnout, such as an IS F owner at a track. The wording isn't specific enough to say for sure, but my impression is that it would prevent someone from doing so.
Unless Toyota put in a launch mode like some European car have. I am glad Toyota is putting in this very important safety feature, it was something they had in the pass and gotten rid of it for some reason.
Old 01-13-10, 06:39 AM
LexFather

My rant wasn't about SUVs. All vehicles are bigger as I stated, not just SUVs. I can't see around a giant Chrysler 300C let alone a huge Suburban. I am not anti-SUV and as JP stated, there are quite a few benefits to SUV ownership (hell my next vehicle maybe a SUV).

My issue is no matter what people do buy, the driver education is lacking and people would rather blame the car then themselves. Common sense is lost somewhere and selfishness comes into play. No one wants to take responsibility, everyone just wants to point the finger and place the blame.

Driver education is not just relying on the government testing. It starts with good parenting and a community that gives a ****.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-13-10 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Install Brake OverRide Across Lineup (Additional cars added)