Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Install Brake OverRide Across Lineup (Additional cars added)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 04:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting, because the IS-F is (arguably) the fastest-accelerating production Lexus model, and, with a runaway engine, would likely be the most dangerous one, and the hardest to stop without the overide system.

The IS-F I reviewed in spring of 2008, IMO, wasn't really that powerful at low RPMs, but, as the tach climbed between 3600 and 4000 with a heavy right foot, took off like a rocket. Mike (1SICKLEX) had a similiar experience with the one he reviewed.
having this feature on the isf would be one of the most retarded decision by lexus

might as well put a speed limiter on the car for 70mph
Old 01-13-10, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
having this feature on the isf would be one of the most retarded decision by lexus
Yes, it's retarded, if you look at it as a device that will RETARD only unintended acceleration. The idea is not to prevent speed or acceleration in normal driving, but simply during a defective condition or emergency where the engine will not respond to brakes or to backing off on the throttle.

might as well put a speed limiter on the car for 70mph
Why do you say that? Like I just said, the device has nothing to do with normal driving, and activates only in an emergency. Otherwise, it doesn't care how fast......or slow.....you go.
Old 01-14-10, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like I mentioned B 4, a launch mode can fix that problem with the IS-F.
Old 01-15-10, 09:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any news updates from Toy/Lex on this?
Old 01-15-10, 01:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had people ask me if I have felt anything like that in my Lexus and I said no. I hope i never do
Old 01-15-10, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Any news updates from Toy/Lex on this?
I didn't see anything new directly from Toyota or Lexus in the last few days, but here's a good website on the subject:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/toyota-recall

And here's the factory website on the matter:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx
Old 01-15-10, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Thanks for the info/releases above.

Sounds like the same old stuff with one exception regarding the Brake Override feature:

"The brake override system will be made standard equipment throughout the Toyota and Lexus product lines starting with January 2010 production of ES350 and Camry and is scheduled to be incorporated into new production of most models by the end of 2010."
Old 01-16-10, 02:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, it's retarded, if you look at it as a device that will RETARD only unintended acceleration. The idea is not to prevent speed or acceleration in normal driving, but simply during a defective condition or emergency where the engine will not respond to brakes or to backing off on the throttle.

Why do you say that? Like I just said, the device has nothing to do with normal driving, and activates only in an emergency. Otherwise, it doesn't care how fast......or slow.....you go.
how does it decide it is emergency? will there be little japanese guy sitting in your footwell inspecting your inputs?

When gas pedal gets stuck, car does not know nor can it know if it is stuck on something or you are pressing the pedal yourself.

so what they will install is ecu that monitors gas and brake pedal input, and when both are pressed (probably longer than certain amount of time), ecu will cancel gas pedal input.
Old 01-19-10, 08:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
so what they will install is ecu that monitors gas and brake pedal input, and when both are pressed (probably longer than certain amount of time), ecu will cancel gas pedal input.
It sounds like Toyota's algorithm is one step above the German's. Toyota's version will actually monitor speed when the brakes are applied, if the brake doesn’t slow the car down, it will then cut throttle. This will eliminate the failure of the throttle sensor.
Old 01-19-10, 08:37 AM
LexFather

If I can I will NOT be going in for this update.

Old 01-19-10, 08:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It seems like you can because it’s not a recall, but out of curiosity, why would you not want a free safety upgrade? Unless you launch your car all the time which I dont think you do.
Old 01-19-10, 04:45 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got a letter in the mail today saying they will replace the accelerator pedal and install the override.

until i know more, i'm gonna hold off...i want to autocross my car.
Old 01-19-10, 05:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at the silly double-grip throttle-handle-bars on power-lawn mowers, for instance.....the moment you release them, the engine quits, and you have to restart it, often with a pull-rope. I got to the point where, when I used one, I tied the two bars together so I could release it and not have to continually restart.
and that's why you "mod" your lawnmower so you could get around that. same with the PS dvd/navi override kit, so you can enable navi while driving.

now the next "mod" would be to undo the brake override, to bring it back to what it should be to begin with!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
+1, agree with you there.

Originally Posted by The G Man
It seems like you can because it’s not a recall, but out of curiosity, why would you not want a free safety upgrade? Unless you launch your car all the time which I dont think you do.
can't speak on behalf of 1sick, but for me i want the ability to brake torque when and if i choose to do so. if i want to drag race (ie launch) someone at the light, it's has to be my decision (and responsibility) and no one else.

Last edited by Stormforge; 01-19-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 09:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still not sure what upgrade (if any) is planned for prior model years.......
Old 01-20-10, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
can't speak on behalf of 1sick, but for me i want the ability to brake torque when and if i choose to do so. if i want to drag race (ie launch) someone at the light, it's has to be my decision (and responsibility) and no one else.
Like I said, if you want to launch your vehicle in a public street, then you probably dont want the safety re-programming. Then again, if you like to drag race in the streer, then you probably dont care much about your safety ot the public's safety anyways.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Install Brake OverRide Across Lineup (Additional cars added)