Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroit 2010: Lincoln MKX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Post Detroit 2010: Lincoln MKX

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/12/d...ylincoln-touch

Old 01-12-10, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll check it out at the D.C. Show in a couple of weeks, but, in general, I'm not a fan of touch-screen stuff. For one thing, on a bumpy road, you sometimes end up hitting the wrong icon with your finger when the vehicle bounces a little.

Can't argue with that dash trim, though, at least in the picture....it looks nice.
Old 01-12-10, 09:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice and huge, the only place I see them is at car shows. Let's see if them can sell a few.
Old 01-12-10, 09:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like similar climate and audio controls as the new Ford Edge...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-12-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 09:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice and huge, the only place I see them is at car shows. Let's see if them can sell a few.
I don't think this is on sale yet. Are you thinking about the bigger MKT?
Old 01-12-10, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I don't think this is on sale yet. Are you thinking about the bigger MKT?
You're right, I was confusing my alphabet soup Lincoln models, none of which are selling well.

That is a nose-job on the MKX. Looks better inside and out to me.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-12-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 11:17 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Looks like similar climate and audio controls as the new Ford Edge...
Which would make sense.
Old 01-12-10, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Do you mean "huge" in physical size? It is actually Lincoln's smallest SUV.....the MKT and Navigator are both substantially larger.

There are some MKXs running around the D.C. area (this is a very high-income/high car sales region, and almost anything sells here), but you're correct in that it is not terribly popular. One reason why is what I have mentioned in other threads.......most people who look at smaller SUV's tend to overlook the pricier ones like the Cadillac SRX, Lincoln MKX, Acura RDX, Mercedes GLK, etc.... and concentrate on the "cute-utes" like the RAV-4 and CR-V.
Old 01-12-10, 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice looking interior but way too much chrome, need a sunglasses to drive that thing.
Old 01-12-10, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Nice looking interior but way too much chrome, need a sunglasses to drive that thing.
Like many vehicles today, it's actually more of a metallic, brushed-aluminum effect than traditional shiny chrome. Cars today generally don't use much, if any chrome, on the dash because of possible sun-glare reflection problems. That is why chrome windshield-wiper arms were outlawed decades ago for American-spec vehicles (most of them now are either flat-black or those silly pastel-lollipop colored aftermarket ones).
Old 01-12-10, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you mean "huge" in physical size? It is actually Lincoln's smallest SUV.....the MKT and Navigator are both substantially larger.

See my post #6 above, I was thinking the MKT was huge (but I first was mistaken as to what alphabet soup model was what).

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-12-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

There are some MKXs running around the D.C. area (this is a very high-income/high car sales region, and almost anything sells here), but you're correct in that it is not terribly popular. One reason why is what I have mentioned in other threads.......most people who look at smaller SUV's tend to overlook the pricier ones like the Cadillac SRX, Lincoln MKX, Acura RDX, Mercedes GLK, etc.... and concentrate on the "cute-utes" like the RAV-4 and CR-V.
In the high-income areas of Silicon Valley the MKX is rare, but here people are somewhat selective. Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover, BMW, Audi are the preferred premium SUVs. GLK and Audi Q5 is selling fairly well here.
Old 01-13-10, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like many vehicles today, it's actually more of a metallic, brushed-aluminum effect than traditional shiny chrome. Cars today generally don't use much, if any chrome, on the dash because of possible sun-glare reflection problems. That is why chrome windshield-wiper arms were outlawed decades ago for American-spec vehicles (most of them now are either flat-black or those silly pastel-lollipop colored aftermarket ones).
Is that real brushed aluminum or is it plastic? I see some high end cars that uses brushed aluminum trims here and there, but brushed aluminum is like wood, when you use too much of it, it just looks cheap.
Old 01-13-10, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is that real brushed aluminum or is it plastic? I see some high end cars that uses brushed aluminum trims here and there, but brushed aluminum is like wood, when you use too much of it, it just looks cheap.

As you note, some cars use the real stuff....some, simple coated plastic. The worst stuff, by far, is the cheaply-painted silver on some of the plastic....that can look awful, especially on some of the Chrysler/Jeep, Toyota, and Mitsubishi products I've sen..

I myself tend to like wood......especially natural-looking wood, even if it is fake. I disagre that too much wood looks cheap, but each to his own on that...that's subjective. A good carbon-fiber job can look very good, too, IMO.....as good as wood, in some instances, but you generally see real carbon-fiber only on upmarket sportier vehicles.

If you want to see some superb brushed-aluminum and wood trim jobs, check out some of the more upmarket Audis......you will be amazed at their fit/finish.
Old 01-14-10, 07:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That gold/metal trim might be the worst idea I have ever seen on an automotive interior.

Quick Reply: Detroit 2010: Lincoln MKX