Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335is coupe/convertible performance model info revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If the "regular" 335 is making 322 when 300 is claimed then we don't really know the 335is is really making until someone puts it on the dyno.

Until then lets just go by BMW's released numbers
thanks allen
Old 01-14-10, 01:24 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first year cars were the ones where they came with 300+ hp numbers from the factory. That hasn't been the case quite as much in 2008 and 2009. I have a Dinan stage 3 tuned car and have had no problems so far but the fuel pump is a major issue for these cars. Gas in California apparently kills these pumps for the car. Every person I know that had to replace multiple high pressure fuel pumps lives in Arnold's State.

The one thing I will say about the 335i is don't expect it to be a race car after tuning the suspension and adding a tune. I have a Supercharged NSX now as well and they have similar whp numbers but the NSX can put the power to the ground much better. I spin my wheels in every gear but 5th and 6th in my 335i. That isn't a good thing honestly. You can't win races if you can't hook up the tires. The balance of the car with the high torque doesn't work as well as I once thought.

It is a fun car that can go fast but I am done tracking it for now. I also would rather have the stock sport suspension that add coilovers for what really won't amount to much fun factor. I do love the car for what it is. It is a nice luxury ride that someone can go fast in relatively easily. Between the Bimmer and the NSX I will take the NSX hands down even for being 14 years older.
Old 01-14-10, 05:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SilverBull
The first year cars were the ones where they came with 300+ hp numbers from the factory. That hasn't been the case quite as much in 2008 and 2009. I have a Dinan stage 3 tuned car and have had no problems so far but the fuel pump is a major issue for these cars. Gas in California apparently kills these pumps for the car. Every person I know that had to replace multiple high pressure fuel pumps lives in Arnold's State.

The one thing I will say about the 335i is don't expect it to be a race car after tuning the suspension and adding a tune. I have a Supercharged NSX now as well and they have similar whp numbers but the NSX can put the power to the ground much better. I spin my wheels in every gear but 5th and 6th in my 335i. That isn't a good thing honestly. You can't win races if you can't hook up the tires. The balance of the car with the high torque doesn't work as well as I once thought.

It is a fun car that can go fast but I am done tracking it for now. I also would rather have the stock sport suspension that add coilovers for what really won't amount to much fun factor. I do love the car for what it is. It is a nice luxury ride that someone can go fast in relatively easily. Between the Bimmer and the NSX I will take the NSX hands down even for being 14 years older.
everything is very true, power is not (and never) everything.
Old 01-14-10, 05:24 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I was just at BMW last week and the sales guy (also a MB Tech) sold my girlfriend her 335i told me 6 months back they had a performance pkg that 335i's can be ordered with from the factory a "performance upgrade" which includes a tuned chip and exhaust for $300 - thats factory option.

The reason i happen to stumble on this is that i was looking at an X6 35 and it had this option on it.. "performance upgrade for $300" it had a gain of 30 HP which he says its the same as the 335i because of same motor. I will check more into this and get back with you guys.

Also, I'm going check with him to see how much i can get this for in parts for 335i?
Old 01-14-10, 05:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I want to see how the market responds to this. I am hoping that Lexus will man up and add another 20-30 hp to the 3.5L to keep up with BMW and Infiniti. I like the IS but I don't think its as competitive as it was just a few years back. The next generation IS needs a hp boost, a back seat, and a manual transmission as an option ( with the 3.5L not the motor in the IS250). Unfortunately the added rear leg room will require for the car to get a bit longer and heavier, but the added hp ( hopefully) will balance out the added weight.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-14-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I want to see how the market responds to this. I am hoping that Lexus will man up and add another 20-30 hp to the 3.5L to keep up with BMW and Infiniti. I like the IS but I don't think its as competitive as it was just a few years back. The next generation IS needs a hp boost, a back seat, and a manual transmission as an option ( with the 3.5L not the motor in the IS250).
I doubt Lexus enters any HP race. Lets also not forget the IS did come with 306hp first when the 330 had 255 or so hp. BMW then added turbos. I am not saying it was in direct response to the IS but it is what it is.

Mercedes sells fine with the C-class which is nowhere in the 0-60 or hp runnings outside the C63. Not everyone's priority is power.

Not sure why you continue to say in threads " keep up with the Infiniti engine" when it is no faster than the IS. Bigger displacement and more hp does not =better.

Old 01-15-10, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I was just at BMW last week and the sales guy (also a MB Tech) sold my girlfriend her 335i told me 6 months back they had a performance pkg that 335i's can be ordered with from the factory a "performance upgrade" which includes a tuned chip and exhaust for $300 - thats factory option.

The reason i happen to stumble on this is that i was looking at an X6 35 and it had this option on it.. "performance upgrade for $300" it had a gain of 30 HP which he says its the same as the 335i because of same motor. I will check more into this and get back with you guys.

Also, I'm going check with him to see how much i can get this for in parts for 335i?
if you are talking about aftermarket chips to boost up the 335, there are quite a few of them and they are pretty advanced and nicely designed. a lot of them even mask the factory ecu so it can't record any changes (which technically void your warranty)

my friends with 335 their cars are all very high power, definitely more than 330hp (quite a bit more)
Old 01-15-10, 06:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

You are probably referring to BMW Performance parts. Tune, race seats, suspension, wheels, plumbing, etc. can all be added to your Bimmer..

BMW Performance Is there anything more exhilarating? Having notched up victories on the most challenging racetracks around the world since the 1930s, BMW has a history rooted in performance. Yet, despite our many accomplishments, there's still one standard that may surpass BMW's—yours.

To meet your individual driving style, nothing unleashes thrill after breathtaking thrill like BMW Performance accessories for the 3 Series and 1 Series.

Blending stimulating design, powerful dynamics, and enhanced quality and safety features, all BMW Performance accessories give drivers an intense, visceral experience. An experience that unites both car and driver in an ideal state. A place of total, 100% exhilaration.

BMW Performance is the only choice for drivers looking to personalize their cars and boost performance. All accessories meet the quality, innovation, engineering and safety standards you expect from BMW. They can be purchased and installed individually, each guaranteed to be a perfect fit. Accessories from any other manufacturer would simply be a compromise. Because BMW Performance accessories are Original BMW Accessories, they have the same BMW warranty
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...e/Default.aspx

Old 01-20-10, 08:32 AM
LexFather

[b]IMages dropped on http://www.bimmerpost.com

Source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/...42598

Old 01-20-10, 09:03 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Gdannnng! That's a stunner of a car. Much better than the regular LCI model
Old 01-20-10, 09:16 AM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow that looks GREAT. Look so aggressive and cohesive. Really loving the look of this car
Old 01-20-10, 01:52 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome car. I can't wait until it comes out, just so I can head over to the bimmer forums and observe even more absurd 335 vs m3 threads.

Seriously, I think this is a good move for sales, but bad move in the long run. The m3 should clearly distinguish itself from its 3-series brethren, but it looks like the gap in performance between the two is continuing to shrink. I suppose that the M brand is already diluted due to the X5/X6M, so oh well.
Old 01-20-10, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by primecut
Awesome car. I can't wait until it comes out, just so I can head over to the bimmer forums and observe even more absurd 335 vs m3 threads.

Seriously, I think this is a good move for sales, but bad move in the long run. The m3 should clearly distinguish itself from its 3-series brethren, but it looks like the gap in performance between the two is continuing to shrink. I suppose that the M brand is already diluted due to the X5/X6M, so oh well.
hah well i guess the "problem" is the FI in 335 making it so tunable.
Old 01-20-10, 02:32 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut

The performance gap is closing yes, but the difference in feel between an M and a non-M is still huge (can't speak for the SUV variants because I haven't played with those just yet)
Old 01-20-10, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Faymester
The performance gap is closing yes, but the difference in feel between an M and a non-M is still huge (can't speak for the SUV variants because I haven't played with those just yet)
lol that's something only most of us m owners can tell

but i do have to say the straight line performance gap between 335 and m3 has gotten much smaller, so i can understand people's argument in that sense

but they also haven't really make turns in the cars

Quick Reply: BMW 335is coupe/convertible performance model info revealed