Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsubishi Dumps Third Ad Agency in Three Years

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 01:59 PM
LexFather

Post Mitsubishi Dumps Third Ad Agency in Three Years

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy...ted_148342.asp

Old 01-13-10, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mitsubishi doesn't necessarily need a better agency. They just need better vehicles. The overall fit/finish, material quality, and road manners of a number of their products, IMO, are not impressive.
Old 01-13-10, 04:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't they hire the previous Voice-Of-Lexus guy?

Their radio ads used him; although you think Lexus, they commercials pointed to Mitsubishi.
Old 01-13-10, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Didn't they hire the previous Voice-Of-Lexus guy?

Their radio ads used him; although you think Lexus, they commercials pointed to Mitsubishi.
And he sure didn't waste much time shooting barbs back at his former boss...check this out:

http://adage.com/adages/post?article_id=136963

You hear the voice in the radio spot, and you recognize it immediately. "For the past 20 years," it starts, "people have been obsessed with the pursuit of ..." and your mind fills in the blank: pursuit of perfection. It's a Lexus spot. Except it's not. That familiar old voice goes on to say people have been obsessed with the pursuit "of overpriced luxury cars. Thank God those days are over. Finally, I can loosen my tie and have some $%&# fun."

And then he totally pitches the Mitsubishi Lancer. (Hear the entire spot here.)

Back in March, Lexus traded in its voice of 20 years for a new model. Out went voice-over artist James Sloyan, and in came actor James Remar, best known for his role as Kim Cattrall's bad-boy, rich boyfriend on HBO's "Sex and the City." At the time, several auto pundits were taken aback and criticized both automaker and shop, suggesting the move was an overreaction to aggressive attacks from Audi. Lexus, they said, was feeling old and so ditched its old, reliable voice. A Lexus spokeswoman said the marketer wanted a voice-over that "could appeal to a broad audience that can encapsulate our brand as it moves forward."

Well, Sloyan didn't waste any time moving forward either. He landed at Mitsubishi. It probably wasn't a coincidence. Tom Cordner, co-chairman of Mitsubishi's creative shop, Traffic, Los Angeles, toiled for many years of his career as the top creative on Lexus at Team One.

And thus this spot was born.

Toward the end of the ad, when Sloyan starts talking pricing, he says, "And now with $1,500 cash back, you get a Lancer starting at around $13,000. That's a phrase I have never said in my entire career."
Old 01-13-10, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Thanks Mike....

It also sounds like they are a PITA to deal with (Mitsu).....to me its the product stupid.....

Old 01-13-10, 09:44 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mitsubishi doesn't necessarily need a better agency. They just need better vehicles. The overall fit/finish, material quality, and road manners of a number of their products, IMO, are not impressive.
I think the Outlander and Lancer are major hits (at least here). I see dozens of them on the streets and sales are going up in Canada way more than the US. Now that they have their own dealerships (before it was sold at Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep), they are seeing sales increase dramatically.
I would have to agree that the old ones were horrible (anything not a current gen Outlander/Lancer), but their new stuff is amazing. Try test driving an Outlander with S-AWC (GT)...that thing flies through the slalom faster than some sedans. Fit and finish has been improved as well, have a look at the 2010 Outlander or a higher up Lancer. With their long warranty and new products, I would say Mitsubishi will have no problems staying in Canada.
Old 01-13-10, 10:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with you on that. I am surprised they are blaming anything on their advertisers
Old 01-14-10, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont undertsand their ad about people being invisible until they get into the Mitsubishi? I must admit, I wasnt really paying attention either, and what is up with that upside down Audi grille?
I think Mitsubishi's problem is that none of their cars or SUV really stands out in any area. If the new Mitsubishi is just average compare to Toyota and Honda in price, quality and performance, then why not just buy a Toyota or Honda. The other problem is the lack of dealerships, I live in a major city and the closest Mitsubishi is like 30 miles away from me and the dealership is very run down, not a place I want to do business ay all.
Old 01-14-10, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wasn't Mitsubishi talking about leaving the US?
They should.
Old 01-14-10, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ivanz
I think the Outlander and Lancer are major hits (at least here). I see dozens of them on the streets and sales are going up in Canada way more than the US. Now that they have their own dealerships (before it was sold at Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep), they are seeing sales increase dramatically.
I would have to agree that the old ones were horrible (anything not a current gen Outlander/Lancer), but their new stuff is amazing. Try test driving an Outlander with S-AWC (GT)...that thing flies through the slalom faster than some sedans. Fit and finish has been improved as well, have a look at the 2010 Outlander or a higher up Lancer. With their long warranty and new products, I would say Mitsubishi will have no problems staying in Canada.
I did full reviews last year on the Outlander, Lancer Ralliart, and Eclipse convertible, and, while they weren't necessarily junk vehicles, I was not very impressed with most of what I saw, inside and out. I have not, however, done any of the 2010 versions...nor have I done the S-AWC, so I can't comment on those.
Old 01-14-10, 01:13 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I interviewed with BBDO west the previous agency before Traffic when BBDO got the account to be thier product knowledge guy. This was about 5 years ago during LA auto show & Mitsu was debuting the new Raider truck. Didn't get an offer ( no ad agency experience) wasn't to disappointed because I was dreading the hour drive to west LA everyday. Mitsu has had high turnover for a long time.