Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV & Acura TL FWD tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 09:11 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great write up Mike.. Saw a Maxima yesterday with the 19's and looked great.. I would consider this vehicle myself as well.. Glad your fiance is into cars.. a big plus..
Old 01-15-10, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, Mike. what can I say? Great write-up.. I don't think I've ever done one that long or that detailed in a two-in-one. I've got one coming up shortly, by non-CL request,on the Kia Forte, but, of course, that's a long way from two nice sport sedans.

Couple of comments, though. Personally, I don't mind salespeople that aren't dressed as buisness-suit perfect as Donald Trump. To me, that shows that they are down-to-earth people that aren't trying to impress and B.S. with looks alone.....although, in your case, it sounds like you got one with a few deficiencies in the auto-knowledge department. In fact, as far as clothes go, the Saturn salespeople used to wear bright-colored T-Shirts with open collars and the company logo on it. I thought they looked great.

I'm also glad to see that you give the TL credit, beneath its (admittedly) butt-ugly exterior styling, for the competent, well-made car it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Neophyte
Great Review! I own a black on black 2009 Maxima SV Sport with the Tech package and I must agree on what Mike has said. The interior is leagues better than the last gen Max. The ride is a little harsher with the 19s that come on the Sport edition but not so much more than the 18s. I do experience brake fade over long drives or if I am doing city driving which in the DC area is a bunch of stop and go. I love that the CVT has a SPORT mode which acts like a 6 speed auto, thats the mode I keep it in even though regular CVT mode is just fine too. The Navigation system is one of the best I've ever experienced and the 9.3 gig hard drive is awesome, no more cd's! Also with the Sport Package you do lose the 60/40 fold down seats and trunk space. You instead get a small pass through that I assume is for ski's or golf clubs and the trunk is smaller (not much) due to the rear STB. It also has a heated steering wheeel which rocks on these cold mornings if you dont have gloves on.

Although its a "Sporty" sedan, I wouldnt call is a 4DSC. But its still an amazing car that I dont regret purchasing. Mike I bought my car from Carmax in White Marsh, MD which they sell new Nissans and my dealer experience was phenomenal, I got mines for 33k with a 6yr/100k warranty which nissan sent me a letter two months ago extended the CVT transmission to 10yrs/120k for free! You can always see if there is a Carmax that sells new Nissans near you because they are cheaper than the typical Nissan dealership.
Congrats, it is a fantastic car.
Originally Posted by rominl
very very interesting and entertaining reviews mike, i like them!

i just think it's sad when salesman (or manager) don't know enough about cars. i don't mind them ditching on other brands, afterall they are trying to sell their stuff. but know your competition and do it "right". trashing others when they don't even know what cars others offer...
It was odd b/c we realized it wasn't a joke but he was serious and went on and on and on to where it was annoying. I looked back at my car to make sure I didn't arrive in an ES 250

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Great write up Mike.. Saw a Maxima yesterday with the 19's and looked great.. I would consider this vehicle myself as well.. Glad your fiance is into cars.. a big plus..
I wish they had a SE to test.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Mike. what can I say? Great write-up.. I don't think I've ever done one that long or that detailed in a two-in-one. I've got one coming up shortly, by non-CL request,on the Kia Forte, but, of course, that's a long way from two nice sport sedans.

Couple of comments, though. Personally, I don't mind salespeople that aren't dressed as buisness-suit perfect as Donald Trump. To me, that shows that they are down-to-earth people that aren't trying to impress and B.S. with looks alone.....although, in your case, it sounds like you got one with a few deficiencies in the auto-knowledge department. In fact, as far as clothes go, the Saturn salespeople used to wear bright-colored T-Shirts with open collars and the company logo on it. I thought they looked great.

I'm also glad to see that you give the TL credit, beneath its (admittedly) butt-ugly exterior styling, for the competent, well-made car it is.
Mike, thanks. Hey I'm like you and the guy was friendly. I just don't think he was dressed in a way that says "I am a professional and I want your business". Now I don't know his situation so I'm not going to beat him up but WE BOTH KNOW appearances account for a lot. He was a nice guy but we both did talk about his appearance.

As for the TL I knew it was going to be a competent car, only an idiot would call it a POS or something of that nature. What was amazing was it didn't blow the Maxima out the water and the Maxima is solid competititon for it, the ES, G37, etc.

Being a new year, I spared it my full wrath on its exterior.

Old 01-15-10, 09:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These reviews are classic!

It's good to see how salesmanship plays a huge role in sales figures.

Nissan's service is appropriate: they had a good (hell, a great) car and focused on all the positives, and encouraged the consumer to stay positive. Acura's is based on whatever scraps of positives they can get, and used (unjustifiable) derogatory comments on other make's products.

Honda looks like a sore loser...
Old 01-15-10, 01:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

great write up ( god I need reading glasses ). I love the maxima . I think its a very nice looking car but for me the FWD is a deal breaker. My wife has missed the RWD feeling of her G sedan since she has been driving her TL. I still think the maxima looks much better than the TL (without the optional body kit and 19" wheels) but I think the Acura interior is nicer. Congrats on the new car brother. I hope you and the fiance enjoy ( I am sure you will)
Old 01-15-10, 01:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

interesting....but no surprise. These companies will need to do what they need to do to compete and entice buyers.
Old 01-15-10, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
]He then explained how the Maxima has awful residuals but the Altima has good ones. When she asked "how" he said "I never could figure that out". We were then told he used to sell Nissans.

To the Maxima's credit, it didn't feel any better built. Fit and finish was good. The bad is it is simply a horrible looking vehicle and no need for me to harp on this. The spoiler helps according to my lady but the base model with the 17" tires is really really bad. There is no way in hell I would have my fiance driving such an ugly car. Sorry.
I think you yourself hit on one reason for the Maxima's low residual here......its questionable looks, plus the fact that it just doesn't sell, brand-new, in the same numbers that the Altima does, or have the same popularity. More often than not, people who look at the Maxima end up buying an Infiniti G sedan for the same money.

Did you and your GF check out a BMW 335i? It will probably run more money than a typical Maxima or TL, and probably not equal their long-term reliability, but gotdamn (to use your term), is it nice car to drive. I posted a number of times on how I think it's a better buy, dollar-for-dollar, than the M3. It also comes in an xi AWD version.

If I was spending 45-50K for a new car, it would be a tough 3-way choice between a 335i, an Acura RL, or a Lexus GS AWD. I assume, though, with your GF, the target price range is somewhat les than that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 04:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Great write up as I was considering the Maxima and wondered about the TL..

Check your PM..
Old 01-15-10, 07:39 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn u owned him! I actually like the new TL idk what people hate about it
Old 01-16-10, 08:38 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were great reviews! Very entertaining.

I also love the new Maxima. Very stylish. IMHO it has more road presence than the 3GS.

The new TL is a horrible mess of a car. It definitely belongs in the all time ugliest car list.
Old 01-16-10, 09:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good read!!!!

I personally wouldn't have wasted my time on the TL...its just too weird looking....

no interest in the TSX V6? I think its looks worlds better than the TL

Old 01-16-10, 10:06 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
good read!!!!

I personally wouldn't have wasted my time on the TL...its just too weird looking....

no interest in the TSX V6? I think its looks worlds better than the TL

I was thinking the same thing, but his fiancee didn't seem turned on by ANY of the cars in the dealership so I doubt she'd be interested in the V6 TSX.
Old 01-16-10, 10:32 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Very nice review, having an 09 Maxima I'm always glad to hear positive reviews about the Maxima especially ones from 1SICK, day in and day out I'm impressed by the car, and the CVT despite what many have said about it, but you really have to drive it to understand.

Before I got the 09 I was gonna buy an 08 TL-S but Acura has always had funky sales tactics, and I never appreciated the smug attitudes that they are just as high class as Lexus, Benz or BMW, any Acura dealer I have visited they always have a way of saying "This is an Acura" over and over

The current TL just has a weird spaceship like body, the headlights and taillights look amazing at night but the overall looks just don't win me over, photo chopped images of it with the last gen front end and a revised rear end make it look way better, and I have read good things about the 6speed AWD version, and I wonder how long before Acura puts the 6speed auto in it from the ZDX
Old 01-16-10, 11:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you and your GF check out a BMW 335i? It will probably run more money than a typical Maxima or TL, and probably not equal their long-term reliability, but gotdamn (to use your term), is it nice car to drive. I posted a number of times on how I think it's a better buy, dollar-for-dollar, than the M3. It also comes in an xi AWD version.

If I was spending 45-50K for a new car, it would be a tough 3-way choice between a 335i, an Acura RL, or a Lexus GS AWD. I assume, though, with your GF, the target price range is somewhat les than that.
Me and my wife just came back from a BMW showroom, we leased a 335 coupe for her. Needless to say, she is excited.
Old 01-16-10, 07:59 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

haha good reply
glad that shut him up

is the maxima RWD btw?
the new one sure does look nice on the road

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV & Acura TL FWD tech