Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV & Acura TL FWD tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
haha good reply
glad that shut him up

is the maxima RWD btw?
the new one sure does look nice on the road
i don't think the maxima is ever rwd? always thought it's fwd
Old 01-16-10, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Congrats on the new car brother. I hope you and the fiance enjoy ( I am sure you will)
We didn't purchase anything.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you yourself hit on one reason for the Maxima's low residual here......its questionable looks, plus the fact that it just doesn't sell, brand-new, in the same numbers that the Altima does, or have the same popularity. More often than not, people who look at the Maxima end up buying an Infiniti G sedan for the same money.

Did you and your GF check out a BMW 335i? It will probably run more money than a typical Maxima or TL, and probably not equal their long-term reliability, but gotdamn (to use your term), is it nice car to drive. I posted a number of times on how I think it's a better buy, dollar-for-dollar, than the M3. It also comes in an xi AWD version.

If I was spending 45-50K for a new car, it would be a tough 3-way choice between a 335i, an Acura RL, or a Lexus GS AWD. I assume, though, with your GF, the target price range is somewhat les than that.
The 3 series has really never been mentioned outside of "its nice". As yall know I like Audi a lot (the new age fanbois don't scare me off) and she does too. We have talked about the S5 and Q7 and need to check them out but that is another can of worms.
Originally Posted by (Cj)
I was thinking the same thing, but his fiancee didn't seem turned on by ANY of the cars in the dealership so I doubt she'd be interested in the V6 TSX.
Thanks, you are right. I stated I tried to get her to look at everything there but there was simply no interest in the styling. (I am trying to be kind of nice here but UGLY is the key word)

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Very nice review, having an 09 Maxima I'm always glad to hear positive reviews about the Maxima especially ones from 1SICK, day in and day out I'm impressed by the car, and the CVT despite what many have said about it, but you really have to drive it to understand.

Before I got the 09 I was gonna buy an 08 TL-S but Acura has always had funky sales tactics, and I never appreciated the smug attitudes that they are just as high class as Lexus, Benz or BMW, any Acura dealer I have visited they always have a way of saying "This is an Acura" over and over

The current TL just has a weird spaceship like body, the headlights and taillights look amazing at night but the overall looks just don't win me over, photo chopped images of it with the last gen front end and a revised rear end make it look way better, and I have read good things about the 6speed AWD version, and I wonder how long before Acura puts the 6speed auto in it from the ZDX
Its clear their fanboi reality is not of this world. The Maxima is fantastic, you need to bring it to a meet when it gets warmer!

Originally Posted by Och
Me and my wife just came back from a BMW showroom, we leased a 335 coupe for her. Needless to say, she is excited.
Congrats!!! I'm sure you will start a thread.
Originally Posted by rominl
No its never been RWD and before the G35 came along was the Nissan 4DSC/poor man's 540/GS. Even with it being FWD, it doesn't scare me off as my expectations for it are different and I don't desire it to be some 911 driving sport sedan. I felt it was perfectly fine under most conditions.

What is also amazing is the Maxima has a CVT only and no longer offers a manual. I think this is a smart move as the Maxima is FWD with tons of power now and a manual would muddy things. They are smart to keep the manual in the G37 if you want one.

CJ posted an article recently showing how luxury brands really have their work cut out as there are some damn good cars from non-luxury brands. The Maxima is one of these vehicles. Pretty much on par with the TL/ES/G37 etc etc.

Old 01-16-10, 11:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its clear their fanboi reality is not of this world. The Maxima is fantastic, you need to bring it to a meet when it gets warmer
I look forward to the meet, I'll keep an eye out for the thread when this meet is, I hope I don't miss it, if you want I will let you take it for a spin it's an SV Sport with 19 and Tech
Old 01-16-10, 11:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
No its never been RWD and before the G35 came along was the Nissan 4DSC/poor man's 540/GS. Even with it being FWD, it doesn't scare me off as my expectations for it are different and I don't desire it to be some 911 driving sport sedan. I felt it was perfectly fine under most conditions.
Very early Maximas up until 84 or 85 were rear wheel drive if I remember correctly
Old 01-17-10, 12:55 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

seems like maxima is a very useful winter family car
how is the Avalon nowadays?
Old 01-17-10, 11:27 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

1SICKLEX, you never said if your fiancee liked the Maxima over the RX or HS...
Old 01-17-10, 11:47 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

are the new TL's made in the US?
are they sold anywhere else in the world?
Old 01-17-10, 11:55 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shyguy16
are the new TL's made in the US?
are they sold anywhere else in the world?
they're made in Ohio.
And no they're only sold here in the US and in limited quantities in China.
Old 01-17-10, 12:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UberNoob
seems like maxima is a very useful winter family car
how is the Avalon nowadays?
Avalon's are nice cars, but I doubt mike and his fiancee want to drive a boat
Old 01-17-10, 03:19 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lamar411
Avalons are nice cars, my brother took one for a test drive and all he kept saying was this is exactly like my the ES350.
Old 01-17-10, 03:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The current gen Avalon is pretty nice. However, for the past couple of years its sales have been dropping off dramatically. I wonder with the small difference in price, if buyers are opting for the ES?
Old 01-17-10, 04:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This will go in my "shopping" thread.....she might just get the 450h and I might just drive the 2GS around until we decide (not to mention wedding, new home, yadda yadda). We actually got offered a tremendous deal on an AWD GS 300 at my Lexus dealer but we were like "no we are NOT going to drive the same car".
good write up mike! a suggestion if i may - if you plan on keeping your GS, why don't you give your fiance the 2GS and you drive the 3GS? it's rather lonely being the only modded hybrid GS here, i could use some company!
Old 01-17-10, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411

What you call a "boat" is sometimes just a bit of riding comfort, that's all. Not everyone wants......or needs..........a harsh, sports-car ride.
Old 01-17-10, 06:26 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The current gen Avalon is pretty nice. However, for the past couple of years its sales have been dropping off dramatically. I wonder with the small difference in price, if buyers are opting for the ES?
I have read the Avalon is stuck in an odd place, it's price get up next to the ES and the Camry is just as big, hence the slower sales numbers.
Old 01-18-10, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
good write up mike! a suggestion if i may - if you plan on keeping your GS, why don't you give your fiance the 2GS and you drive the 3GS? it's rather lonely being the only modded hybrid GS here, i could use some company!
She is not driving an older car Yeah my entire plans for the 3GS have been pretty much "thrown out the window"

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think competition has something to do with it. While most people "THINK" people care about sport, they don't and don't drive that way. So a car like the G37 or even Maxima is stealing Avalon sales, even as they are not seen as direct competitors. It also looks okay but not gorgeous or anything, so for the same price people probably just jump to the ES. The Avalon offers room in spades which to me is one of its main assets.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you call a "boat" is sometimes just a bit of riding comfort, that's all. Not everyone wants......or needs..........a harsh, sports-car ride.
I agree not everyone wants a boat or has some "sport" pretensions. To me the Avalon is less sporty than an ES and it is just too big for what we want anyway. Not even on the list.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV & Acura TL FWD tech