Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsubishi planning for hybrid EVO XI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 03:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Mitsubishi planning for hybrid EVO XI

Nearly 300 horsepower of turbocharged, all-wheel-drive, twin-clutch rally-bred fun is a hard package to improve on, yet a report out today hints that Mitsubishi is planning to just that for the next generation of the Lancer Evolution--with a hybrid powertrain.
Batteries and brawn don't mix, you say? Well, there's a fair argument to be made, but the report's details explain how the all-wheel-drive hybrid system might just add something special to the mix. Instead of a simply assisting the gasoline engine, the rumored hybrid drive system would send 63 horsepower from an electric motor through the front wheels only, while the 320-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder would power the rear. Working in concert, they could deliver up to 350 horsepower, enough to rocket the car to 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds. That's about four-tenths quicker than the current car.
This arrangement would allow the next-gen Evo XI to drive short distances on electricity alone, while allowing the torquey electric motor to assist low-speed acceleration in performance driving, much like the application of hybrid tech to cars like Lexus's GS and LS line. The heavily rear-biased power application is likely to make the Evo XI less prone to terminal understeer, but might also make it a bit more vicious on unpaved roads and other slippery surfaces.
Two other high-tech additions are also planned, according to the report: active steering and roll control suspension. These two features are intended to make the increasingly heavy and complex Evo handle more nimbly. Helping to tame the rear-biased power delivery will be an updated version of Mitsubishi's electronically controlled active yaw control system.
The next-gen Mitsubishi Evolution XI isn't due to hit production until 2013, however, so much may yet change.
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi planning for hybrid EVO XI-mitsubishi_100233079_m.jpg  
Old 01-15-10, 03:54 PM
LexFather

Got a link?
This is very interesting. Thanks for finding!

Old 01-15-10, 07:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

No problem buddy. I keep forgetting to put the links in. sorry

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...r-evolution-xi
Old 01-15-10, 09:10 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they decide to go the hybrid route, then I suppose that there will still be FQ versions that incorporate the electric motor. (Haha like an FQ-400 Hybrid ).

Either way, we shall wait-and-see if it would deliver on its promises.
Old 01-15-10, 09:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting pics.. I always thought these cars were all 5 speeds.. I see a automatic in those pics..
Old 01-15-10, 10:22 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Interesting pics.. I always thought these cars were all 5 speeds.. I see a automatic in those pics..
Yup they were up until the introduction of 6-speed stick shift in some variants (starting from the CT9A)

Starting from the CZ4A though, Mitsu has introduced the automatic transmission in the form of a twin-clutch SST gearbox. It is is claimed to shift faster, sip less fuel and offer more performance than its stick shift brethren.......and it does.

In fact because of that, more than 50% of all Evo 10 sold today use TC-SST (even up to the highest FQ-400 version available to-date).
Old 01-15-10, 10:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I drove an evo 9 and evo 10 and all I am going to say is I hope there is a little 9 in the 11.
Old 01-27-10, 05:24 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Next Mitsubishi Lancer Evo will be a Hybrid; Not Turbo

Say goodbye to the sweet whining of the turbocharger in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. According to sources, the next-generation Lancer Evo XI will be a plug-in hybrid sedan that uses an electric-motor instead of a turbocharger that it uses right now.

The system will use the same platform as the Concept PX-MiEV plug-in hybrid concept from last year’s Tokyo Motor Show – meaning, that the Evo XI’s 2.0L gasoline engine will be naturally aspirated and will get a boost from an electric-motor that runs on lithium-ion batteries. The electric-motor will power the front wheels, while the engine will power the rear wheels.

Sources say that the car will give drivers the option of driving in electric-only mode for short journeys, helping them improve fuel-efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions (because that’s what every Mitsubishi Lancer Evo driver is worried about).

Insiders say that the Evo XI will also get E-AYC, which regulates torque distribution between the rear wheels.

Old 01-27-10, 05:51 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And when the battery is depleted?
Old 01-27-10, 06:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hah, hard fail!
Old 01-27-10, 10:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And when the battery is depleted?
Your most likely left with about 120hp towing around 200lbs worth of depleted hybrid batteries and motors until it can be recharged again. Not a good compromise in my opinion and it seems like a complete fail unless they are just shooting for a economical somewhat sporty hatch with no real EVO performance pretensions or they have come up with something different from the average hybrid. Turbo buyers are certainly not going to be interested in this as they know it will be heavier, slower, and most likely only good for short squirts of power before it is depleted and needs to be recharged.
Old 01-27-10, 10:34 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no turbo in the next evo? really mitsubishi?
Old 01-27-10, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow this is retarded on mitsubishi's part
Old 01-27-10, 11:51 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess they didn't learn their lesson after dropping the turbo from the Eclipse.
Old 01-27-10, 12:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The EVO was probably the only thing that has kept Mitsubishi over here. Killing off the turbo setup is practically a nail in the coffin.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi planning for hybrid EVO XI