Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pretty cool Lexus GX460 "Action Hero" TV Ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 10:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty cool Lexus GX460 "Action Hero" TV Ad

Although it doesn't go well with the Luxury theme in my opinion. It is a new refreshing Lexus ad after all.

http://paultan.org/2010/01/16/lexus-...heros-vehicle/
Old 01-16-10, 12:37 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome commercial!
Old 01-16-10, 12:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw it on TV earlier tonight.

Soccer MILFs FTMFW!!!
Old 01-16-10, 02:06 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

oh that's a pretty lady in that commercial.
Old 01-16-10, 05:20 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Soccer MILFs FTMFW!!!
QFT

Great commercial, I especially thought the Bat-Light at the beginning of the commercial was a nice touch.
Old 01-16-10, 06:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I can't believe you guys like this commercial. Lexus posted this on their facebook page earlier and this was my response:

I have to say, this is one of the worst commercials that you guys have done in some time. It looks appropriate for a mainstream mommy-mobile, not an off-road capable luxury sport utility.

Not to mention, the Lexus symbol in the sky is clearly at night and the next scene is a woman looking up in the middle of the day.

"Because every action hero needs a vehicle"? Who came up with that, and better yet, who approved it?! This whole concept is cheesy and not indicative of what Lexus stands for, at all.

Come on guys! Poor job.
Old 01-16-10, 09:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
...Soccer MILFs FTMFW!!!
ESPECIALLY when they can drive like the Stig!!!!!

HOT
Old 01-16-10, 10:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Truly dreadful ad. Predictable, formulaic and lacking in any imagination.
Old 01-16-10, 03:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I was going to post a thread about this last week saying how bad it was...not classy at all. creative though i guess (even though they stole it from batman)
Old 01-16-10, 10:34 PM
LexFather

To me, its one of the best Lexus ads in awhile. As soon as I saw it, I got the message of the vehicle and it actually looked pretty good. The MILF helps

Old 01-17-10, 12:51 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I can't believe you guys like this commercial. Lexus posted this on their facebook page earlier and this was my response:
I think it was good advertisement. how many people do you see take the GX off-roading? it's a soccer mom car. so marketing the GX directly to their main audience makes complete sense.
Old 01-17-10, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
I think it was good advertisement. how many people do you see take the GX off-roading? it's a soccer mom car. so marketing the GX directly to their main audience makes complete sense.
it is being marketted at soccer moms - YES, so this commercial is very good.
But car itself is awesome off road luxury machine, just like any Land Cruiser.
Old 01-17-10, 08:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Well, yes and no. A while ago Mark Templin made comments about how a good chunk of GX owners use their 'utes for towing, off road, and recreational use so with everyone else going to unibody platforms, the GX gave Lexus a unique hold on the market.

I have no idea why they are aiming this commercial at soccer moms when they already know their core competency does not appeal to that crowd. They are probably doing it to try to broaden appeal and reach out to a consumer who may not have thought of the GX before, but why did they do it in a commercial fit for a CRV or Rav4?

There is absolutely nothing about that ad that says "Lexus" or "luxury" or "expensive" or "$60K luxury SUV". Nothing. Lexus has long been heralded as having some of the highest quality ads but this one honestly looks fit for an econo car. Not to mention, I know they changed voices a while ago but this ad doesn't even have the new guy.

I am all about them trying new stuff and going in a new direction, but at least try to make sure it well-represents the product and the company. The concept for this commercial would have been right for a Fit, or a Tucson, or a Sienna or something, NOT a $60,000 luxury SUV.
Old 01-17-10, 08:27 AM
LexFather

^^^ Well I think it is their crowd, the same crowd that buys Range Rovers and other true 4x4s with luxury. While some owners do use their capabilities, I think a lot prefer having a boxy "real" SUV instead of a car based one. Some of the appeal is that amazingly, the original 4x4 SUV is "different" to the droves of car based SUVs.

When we think about it, the GX doesn't have much competition. What the Range Rover/Land Rover? Lexus own LX or the Toyota Land Cruiser? Maybe the Jeep Cherokee? The Benz GL? Thus they should be able to sell all 14k this year.

Old 01-17-10, 08:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you. I just think a commercial that looked a little more Range Rover/Land Rover/LX/Land Cruiser/GL would have been a little more....appropriate?

Quick Reply: Pretty cool Lexus GX460 "Action Hero" TV Ad