Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Juke (Reviewed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 08:28 AM
LexFather

2011 Nissan Juke to get 1.6L gas-turbo-direct-injected I4

When Nissan's new Juke compact crossover hits the streets later this year, it will be powered by the automaker's first gasoline-turbocharged-direct-injected (GTDI) engine. Following in the same technical path blazed by the Volkswagen Group, General Motors, Ford and others, the new engine uses the high-pressure injection system to execute multiple injection pulses for cleaner and more complete combustion. The variable cam phasing system operates independently on both the intake and exhaust camshafts, but the bottom line is this: An impressive 188 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque from a small displacement engine.

We don't know for sure if this new mill will come to the U.S.-market Juke, but we assume it will, likely paired with either a six-speed automatic transmission or one of Nissan's continuously variable transmissions. We also have no idea what kind of mileage the GTDI Juke will get, but it should be quite competitive. Check out the video after the jump to see it in action. A tip of the hat to Braun!

Old 02-13-10, 09:06 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree it's different, eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.
It was designed by Nissan's European studio of all places. I have read some European impressions of it and they seem to like it.

I'm still not sold but maybe in real life and in other colors, like black, it will have more appeal, maybe even look kind of cool. But we'll see.
Old 02-13-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cartoon cars have some merit. I worry about a car that people hope will look better in black, might as well make it flat black.
Old 02-13-10, 10:46 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I would never drive it but I like it just cuz it looks so different and not in an ugly Aztek way. It's got great stance with the wheels pushed out and the grill/headlamp treatment is really interesting.

What hole in the Nissan lineup would this car fill?
Old 02-13-10, 10:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008

What hole in the Nissan lineup would this car fill?
The blind people/Acura black hole....it fills that one.

Old 02-13-10, 11:51 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't wanna talk about those funny looking cars posted in this thread. I wanna talk about BMW.
You see, this guy from Infiniti/Nissan who said there are too many cookie cutter cars is correct. Look back at some of my old posts, I've been saying it for years. Then Chris Bangle comes along and changes BMW from understated elegance (boring) to flame surfacing. The stuff is hot and instead of plain Jane, cookie cutter designs, BMW's looked stylish, bold and creative. What happens next, Bangle is vilified by so called BMW and car lovers. Bullcrap. Anyone who truly loves cars should have been able to appreciate the bold move....the new direction and stylishness of those cars. They didn't have to love it but should have appreciated it. Instead, BMW is returning to safe designs.

Bangle is my design hero and I hope someone let's him out of his cage to bring back creative design in automotive manufacturing.
Old 02-13-10, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I thought this was about Nissan, but I must of dozed off.
Old 02-13-10, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I thought this was about Nissan, but I must of dozed off.
You....doze off during an auto discussion? Come on....the Federal budget will be balanced before THAT happens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 07:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely hideous! Shame on Nissan for green-lighting such a monstrosity .

Also, who designed that interior? The same people who were in charge of Dodge and Ford interior design back in the 1990s?
Old 03-30-10, 09:40 PM
LexFather

Nissan's new-for-2011 Juke is set to make its North American debut at tomorrow's New York Auto Show, and the small crossover's polarizing moon-buggy styling is sure to set tongues wagging, just as it did during its global premiere at the Geneva Motor Show. Having seen this vehicle in person already, we can tell you that its "Baby Predator" front end takes some getting used to, but it all comes together better than expected, and the interior seems surprisingly roomy and well-resolved.

Much smaller in person than one might think, the curvy ute is significantly shorter than vehicles like Honda's CR-V and Toyota's RAV4 – it's even shorter than the new Hyundai Tucson and Nissan's own Rogue, not to mention the likes of Mitsubishi's Outlander Sport (itself another NY debut). The closest competitor we can think of is Suzuki's SX4 crossover, which is, believe it or not, actually longer than the Juke. In the end, we fully expect it to be cross-shopped with more conventional hatchbacks (Mazda3), as well as 'box cars' like the Kia Soul.

Featuring the first application of Nissan's 1.6-liter direct injected four-cylinder turbo in North America, it will be available with torque vectoring all-wheel drive, so it might just be the driver's car of the bunch, too. Featuring "180+ horsepower" and 170+ lb-ft of torque," it will be available in both six-speed manual form with a CVT unit with a sport setting. Unfortunately, the three-pedal setup will only be available in front-drive SV and SL trim, however. That torque-vectoring system? It defaults to a 50:50 front-to-rear split, but it can push power from side-to-side along the rear axle when situations warrant.

No official pricing has been revealed yet, but Nissan promises that the Juke will start at "just under $20,000." Want to learn more? Check out our high-res gallery below and the official press releases and spec sheet after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/0...inued

Old 03-30-10, 09:41 PM
LexFather

To me it looks like a QX took a dump and this came out but I have to say the specs look nice (torque vectoring is SH-AWD SUPER DOOPER LONG NAME).

The small size also puzzles me. Another SUV coupe thing I guess.

Old 03-30-10, 10:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

This the kind of ugly that attracts your attention and you cant look away because you cant believe its that damn ugly.
Old 03-30-10, 10:23 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

It's quirky, I kind of like it. I would never drive it, but it is a radical design that isn't really too offensive to me, so good job on that front.
Much better than the Cube in my opinion.
Old 03-30-10, 10:28 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-30-10, 10:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

It's little too weird for my taste. but those who likes funky cars will like this. it's not that bad after all. but interior is way too shiny for me. definitely pt cruiser like.

Quick Reply: Nissan Juke (Reviewed)