Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Juke (Reviewed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Nissan Juke (Reviewed)

By Greg Migliore
Posted by AutoWeek on Friday, January 15, 2010

Using provocative words such as “guilty” and “fearful,” Nissan Design America chief Bruce Campbell was blunt in his assessment of the current state of car styling: There's too much sameness.

Speaking at the AW Design Forum on Thursday morning in Detroit, Campbell pulled no punches, pointing to the bad economy, global design--and fear--as reasons for blandness in sheetmetal.

“We are guilty of this sameness. . . . There is an atmosphere that leads to sameness in design,” he said.

Campbell said global designs make sense for financial reasons, but he argued that cars should be tailored to individual tastes around the world. Cars such as the Dodge Challenger, Campbell's Nissan 370Z and the Chevrolet Camaro are standouts as sports cars, but many other segments--such as the midsize arena--appear far too similar.

His solution is to take risks--while still being fiscally responsible--and to use emerging technologies such as hybrids and electricity as canvasses for new expression.

“We need to be bold and really challenge ourselves and challenge the sameness,” he said. “We need to be bold and not to be fearful.”

For example:

Nissan Altima coupe + Infiniti G37 coupe:

Let's throw in the Hyundai Genesis coupe:

Old 01-18-10, 08:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree but think that, along with tailoring design to individual tastes, beauty factors in. Of course, while any notion of aesthetics is subjective, there are enough examples of cars which are both evocative and attractive existing in the world. This shows that it is possible to come up with designs that are both unique and beautiful. Too often designers think that "quirky" and "strange" equal distinctive.
Old 01-18-10, 08:10 AM
LexFather

Well Nissan is sometimes known to "copy" design. I agree with his assesment there is a lot of "cookie cutter" but it has always been that way, so not sure why he wants to state the obvious. To Nissan's credit, they also can have some original designs but most are bloated or just ugly.

He is probably just referring to the new Nissan Juke, which will clearly look like nothing else and too their credit look mostly like the concept.

The thing is it goes back to my point they can make some uggglllyy vehicles. But at least its not "cookie cutter"

Originally Posted by speedflex
I agree but think that, along with tailoring design to individual tastes, beauty factors in. Of course, while any notion of aesthetics is subjective, there are enough examples of cars which are both evocative and attractive existing in the world. This shows that it is possible to come up with designs that are both unique and beautiful. Too often designers think that "quirky" and "strange" equal distinctive.
Great post, I agree here. Not sure what is funnier;
1. Designers someone getting these strange/ugly/quirky designs approved for production
2. Hearing the people that buy them make all sorts of excuses to why they are not strange/ugly/quirky

Chicken or the egg

Old 01-18-10, 09:39 AM
Milla...

it is possible to come up with designs that are both unique and beautiful.
Yes it is, in fact its a gift the italians have always had IMO.
Old 01-18-10, 09:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
Yes it is, in fact its a gift the italians have always had IMO.
No fair you have an Italian car

I agree 100% though, even their "pedestrian" cars have a flair to them.

Old 01-18-10, 09:59 AM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

You took the words out of my mouth.

and to illustrate your last point:

Old 01-18-10, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TCM55
You took the words out of my mouth.

and to illustrate your last point:

OMG lmfao.....(looks around) lmfao....

Old 01-18-10, 12:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Cars from every generation share design characteristics. That will never change. Fact is though, today's cars differ from each other more than ever.

For example, up until the '80's, just about every car shared virtually the same headlight units. First it was the round units, then the universal square ones came around. Every car was a simple box shaped design through much of the '70's and '80's. I could go on and on.

Today, there's a new car each year that defies even a category in which to place it. Then it get's criticized. Every car has unique lights, grills, ect... Because of today's manufacturing tech, completely unique car's are possible for the first time.
Old 01-18-10, 02:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Those similar designs above Taylor to different individuals and boils down to affordability.. If someones on a budget and can't afford a G37 well than the Genesis is the next step.. Similar body designs for a fraction of the costs..

Yes it is frustrating sometimes seeing the same body styles on the highway and you wonder why the car manufacturer can't come up with a original design But on the other hand these are the cars that sell..
Old 01-18-10, 02:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I agree. Especially with Buick trying to make their cars looks like Lexuses.
Old 01-18-10, 09:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a good design when I see one. Let's hope for improvement from Nissan/Infiniiti.
Old 01-18-10, 11:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He is probably just referring to the new Nissan Juke, which will clearly look like nothing else and too their credit look mostly like the concept.

Original you say?

Old 01-20-10, 10:35 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Original you say?

Original you say?

Old 01-20-10, 10:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Original you say?

Didn't say that it was
Old 01-21-10, 05:43 AM
LexFather

Those are 3 UUUUGGGLY SUV thingies.....ouch.

Quick Reply: Nissan Juke (Reviewed)