Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
You're like my twin when it comes to so many thoughts and feelings related to car analysis, especially in regard to Honda. Reading your posts makes me laugh, cause it's like hey, I wrote that.

But so true. As I said in another thread, Honda has quickly become a joke and they are turning into the Chrysler of Japan. They have LOST it.
Dude, we go back like original Toyota Crown. So glad to see your posts today.

Old 01-19-10, 11:59 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude, we go back like original Toyota Crown. So glad to see your posts today.

Awesome Mike. Hahaha
Old 01-19-10, 12:25 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen both cars on the road.

And honestly--I didn't know how the Venza would look like on the road and in the flesh when I saw the pictures at first--but it looks great. The big wheels and the general stance translates very well in motion (the grill, I do agree that it's controversial).

Crosstour--it's still just as ugly and awkward in motion and on the road as in pictures. If anything, pictures kind of hide its awkward size/proportions more than anything. It looks stupid ridiculous in person.
Old 01-19-10, 12:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I've seen both cars on the road.

And honestly--I didn't know how the Venza would look like on the road and in the flesh when I saw the pictures at first--but it looks great. The big wheels and the general stance translates very well in motion (the grill, I do agree that it's controversial).

Crosstour--it's still just as ugly and awkward in motion and on the road as in pictures. If anything, pictures kind of hide its awkward size/proportions more than anything. It looks stupid ridiculous in person.
IMO,the Venza like most vehicles,looks a lot bigger and nicer in the showroom then on the road.
The Venza looks great with the 20" wheel/tire set up but I test drove one and you pay the price with highway tire growl and rougher ride.
I wasn't crazy about the interior look.It seems toyota doesn't want it to look too nice which may take away Lexus sales.

I didn't test drive the Crosstour.It's ugly and not a very functional vehicle crossover wise.So there was no need to.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-19-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda is really starting to remind me of Chrysler. Lets charge alot for ugly cars that don't do much and lag behind the competition, oh and we don't really seem to care what others think.
Old 01-19-10, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

IMHO the crosstourer will never beat the Venza on space , style, or performance ( even though its the last category buyers really care about in this segment of the market)
Old 01-19-10, 02:22 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I agree the Accord interior is a fine place to be. However this is obvious cost cutting. The SAME interior? Would people accept the Camry interior in the Venza? I much prefer the different interior. Having inspected one I found quality fine. I mean its no Passat but I was much more intriguing with all the awesome storage spaces etc.

The Honda double standard. Its okay for the Crosstour to have the same interior as the Accord. If the Venza had the same interior as the Camry, the entire world would scream bloody murder!!!

its name is Accord Crosstour, so i can't really blame honda for having the same interior. Honda wants customers to know that this is an accord.
Old 01-19-10, 02:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and somehow Honda managed it to make an Accord even uglier. that's a special talent.
Old 01-19-10, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

The 2+2+2 setup

Isn't that what the Mazda 5 uses? (or is that for the European version only?)
No, the Mazda5 uses it here, too. But it is a substantially smaller vehicle than the Pacifica and Mercedes R-Class, which also use it.

Mike (1SICKLEX) and I don't totally agree on this, but, IMO, that setup is somewhat awkward and not particularly space-efficient. It is somewhat more efficient in the Mazda5, though, than in the larger vehicles because the space-robbing full-length console is smaller and doesn't rob as much room.
Old 01-19-10, 07:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
and somehow Honda managed it to make an Accord even uglier. that's a special talent.
Quoted for truth!
Old 01-19-10, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't seen the Crosstour in person but, based on the pictures, I agree the rear end is ugly and awkward-looking. I hope to see one at the D.C. Auto Show next week. I may (?) review one (as I did the Venza) but I haven't gotten any requests for it. The Venza is not what I would call a handsome car either, and the 19/20-inch wheels are too large for a car in this class.

The Crosstour might (?) run into some competition from the upcoming Acura TSX Sportwagon......a far better-looking vehicle, and something I also hope to see next week
Old 01-19-10, 08:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joe80
its name is Accord Crosstour, so i can't really blame honda for having the same interior. Honda wants customers to know that this is an accord.
No matter how you twist it, the Venza is a camry wagon, plain and simple.
Old 01-19-10, 11:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Pacifica made pretty good use of space. I also liked the NAV by the speedometer. I also thought it looked pretty good. The R-class looks weird makes okay use of space and costs a ton.

Thats true but still odd no one mentions it. I mean 40k for the same thing?

I am 100% with you on the Venza interior, it was designed very smartly. I loved its practicality.

And you wanna know the Canadian price if it's US$40k? lol. Then again, people bought the X6. Seriously. Who looked at an X5 and said, no I want something with even less cargo space, poorer outward visibility and less passenger capability. (yes I know the 2 back seats are supposed to be luxurious with a centre console).

Yes, it's the first Toyota that I can remember that has contrast piping!

Originally Posted by Blackraven
In this case, you have a car with ugly proportions all over while you have the other car which has a super-fugly grille while everything else is alright.

In this case, pick the lesser evil of the two (the Toyota Venza )

P.S.

The 2+2+2 setup

Isn't that what the Mazda 5 uses? (or is that for the European version only?)
I thought Europe used a 2+2+3? Our Mazda5 is the only 6 passenger version. The rest of the world seats 7 and with a smaller 2.0 litre engine.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't seen the Crosstour in person but, based on the pictures, I agree the rear end is ugly and awkward-looking. I hope to see one at the D.C. Auto Show next week. I may (?) review one (as I did the Venza) but I haven't gotten any requests for it. The Venza is not what I would call a handsome car either, and the 19/20-inch wheels are too large for a car in this class.

The Crosstour might (?) run into some competition from the upcoming Acura TSX Sportwagon......a far better-looking vehicle, and something I also hope to see next week
Are you sure? I don't think anyone looking at a TSX Sportwagon would be looking at the Crosstour. It's not like the Crosstour has an upscale interior. It's like saying someone looking at a TSX would consider an Accord EX-L. Yes it's possible (considering it's cheaper) but I don't think it's that common.
Old 01-20-10, 12:47 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
No matter how you twist it, the Venza is a camry wagon, plain and simple.
agreed also its the Seinna, Solara, the Avalon, the Highlander, the RX, the ES....gots 2 the love the family tree, that makes money...ill choose Venza just off its family tree, Interior wise Accord>>>>>Camry/Venza
Old 01-20-10, 10:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Honda is really kicking themselves in the butt with that 5-speed transmission. Slightly more peak hp, slightly better weight advantage, yet it's slower.
Not just slower................., a lot slower!

Quick Reply: Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza