Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer

I thought Europe used a 2+2+3? Our Mazda5 is the only 6 passenger version. The rest of the world seats 7 and with a smaller 2.0 litre engine.
Although it is true that many Europeans are smaller physically than typical Americans, with 7 of them in a vehicle and a 2.0L four, that vehicle will probably barely move. That's like the old VW Microbus back in the 60's with the small, air-cooled beetle engine...a vehicle that took all day to get rolling.

Are you sure? I don't think anyone looking at a TSX Sportwagon would be looking at the Crosstour. It's not like the Crosstour has an upscale interior. It's like saying someone looking at a TSX would consider an Accord EX-L. Yes it's possible (considering it's cheaper) but I don't think it's that common.
Time, of course, will tell, but my guess is that the Crosstour's styling will turn off more shoppers than the TSX Sportwagon's. The key is, though.....not many people are going to Acura shops nowadays, so the TSX Sportwagon might have some trouble getting publicity.
Old 01-20-10, 10:16 AM
LexFather

If you do the numbers, the much smaller CR-V has more room than the CrossTour.

Old 01-20-10, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Probably don't even need to do the numbers. One simple look at how the two rear ends are styled will tell you that. Boxy almost always trumps fastback for interior space efficiency.
Old 01-20-10, 10:23 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is making me laugh, because it has made me realize:

It would be one thing if the CrossTour was an honest effort by Honda and it failed "in the wild" (i.e. in the marketplace, against competition from other companies). But this thing just might set a new standard for failure within its OWN CORPORATE LINEUP.
Old 01-20-10, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And IMO, the CRV is much better looking which is entirely subjective of course.
Old 01-20-10, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And IMO, the CRV is much better looking which is entirely subjective of course.
Yes, that certainly is subjective. I wouldn't consider either one good-looking, though I have a enormous amount of respect for the CR-V's quality and reliability....IMO it is built like a Swiss Watch. In fact, even with its questionable looks, I considered one when I bought my Outback....it was in the Top 5.
Old 01-20-10, 10:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Thumbs down

I was behind one a coupe of days and said "WTF" is that???

After my eyes refocused, I saw the H and realized it was the crosstour.....so yes, it was that ugly

That trunk is so narrow and small, can't imagine the inside cargo space.
Old 01-20-10, 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that certainly is subjective. I wouldn't consider either one good-looking, though I have a enormous amount of respect for the CR-V's quality and reliability....IMO it is built like a Swiss Watch. In fact, even with its questionable looks, I considered one when I bought my Outback....it was in the Top 5.
The stereotype of Swiss watches doesn't apply today in 2010 IMO.

Since we are talking subjective styling opinions, I find the current CRV to be more attractive that any Outback wagon. I like it's relatively wide track SUV stance and interesting window/roof line. And the US sales results back up my opinion.
Old 01-20-10, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The stereotype of Swiss watches doesn't apply today in 2010 IMO.
I have to respectfully disagree. Rolex is still considered one of the finest watches in the world. Just look at the jewelry places that sell Rolex products....and other Swiss timepieces. They employ armed security guards.

Since we are talking subjective styling opinions, I find the current CRV to be more attractive that any Outback wagon. I like it's relatively wide track SUV stance and interesting window/roof line. And the US sales results back up my opinion.
Fine. I agree that both are subjective....and both are extremely popular in the U.S. market. The CR-V is probably the RAV-4's biggest competitor, and the Outback has been Subaru's bread-and-butter vehicle ever since it was introduced in 1995. It is (arguably) the most popular car-based station wagon in America.
Old 01-20-10, 10:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have to respectfully disagree. Rolex is still considered the finest watch in the world. Just look at the jewelry places that sell Rolex products....and other Swiss timepieces. They employ armed security guards.

Exactly, which has nothing to do with the CRV.
Old 01-20-10, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Fine. I agree that both are subjective....and both are extremely popular in the U.S. market. The CR-V is probably the RAV-4's biggest competitor, and the Outback has been Subaru's bread-and-butter vehicle ever since it was introduced in 1995. It is (arguably) the most popular car-based station wagon in America.
I agree and have no idea what the topic is anymore.
Old 01-20-10, 10:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yes, I remember and back on topic, I prefer the Venza by a huge margin over the Crosstour. I will seriously consider buying a Venza in the next couple of years.
Old 01-20-10, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yes, I remember and back on topic, I prefer the Venza by a huge margin over the Crosstour. I will seriously consider buying a Venza in the next couple of years.
You prefer the Venza because of looks alone...and maybe space efficiency? (I'm assuming you have not yet driven a Crosstour)

The Venza is a nice design, I'll admit, but I think that the 19 and 20-inch wheels were a mistake (I noted that in my Venza review). And Toyota salespeople tell me that one reason they don't sell more of them is that some potential customers balk at the high potential cost of raplacing those big tires...though, of course, that is normally done only once every 30,000 miles or so.

However, if that is not an issue to you, I agree.....go ahead and indulge yourself with a new one. You could certainly do a lot worse. And, if you don't get much in the way of rain or snow on the roads there in Silicon Valley, you can get a FWD versions.

I'd like to see Lexus do a version of the Venza....if so, it, and the RX, would be the Lexus products I'd be most likely to purchase. I'm going to suggest that to the Lexus reps next week at the D.C. show.
Old 01-20-10, 11:06 AM
LexFather

I should know this but does the Venza seat 7?

Want an X6 knock-off...buy the Crosstour....Notice they advertise it and the tests have it in the same "maroon" color as the X6 did...

Old 01-20-10, 11:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I should know this but does the Venza seat 7?
no, and this is why I like the new sienna since alot of the styling cues look like the venza

Quick Reply: Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza