Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, which has nothing to do with the CRV.

If you don't want to use the term, fine....don't. I use it to describe a well-made car....I see no reason to change. Case closed....at least on my part.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 11:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You prefer the Venza because of looks alone...and maybe space efficiency? (I'm assuming you have not yet driven a Crosstour)

The Venza is a nice design, I'll admit, but I think that the 19 and 20-inch wheels were a mistake (I noted that in my Venza review). And Toyota salespeople tell me that one reason they don't sell more of them is that some potential customers balk at the high potential cost of raplacing those big tires...though, of course, that is normally done only once every 30,000 miles or so.

However, if that is not an issue to you, I agree.....go ahead and indulge yourself with a new one. You could certainly do a lot worse. And, if you don't get much in the way of rain or snow on the roads there in Silicon Valley, you can get a FWD versions.

I'd like to see Lexus do a version of the Venza. I'm going to suggest that to the Lexus reps next week at the D.C. show.
Yes, the styling of the Crosstour is way too ugly for me to consider. And I don't need or use every last square foot of interior space.

I will only consider a 4WD/AWD SUV for use in serious snow in high Sierras. Yes the mild sunny climate of Silicon Valley doesn't require AWD, which is why I have other sportier RWD cars too.

IMO, I think the 19" and 20" wheels are an important factor in the sales success and subjective appeal of Venza. I also think a Lexus version of the Venza would be cool.

Note: Toyota properly engineered the larger diameter wheels and tires into the design (with appropriate gearing to match), therefore sidewall height and cushioning is adequate. Below are the appropriate tire specs for a Venza versus Outback for example.

Outback 225/60/17 5.315" sidewall height, 27.63" diameter
Venza 245/55/19 5.305" sidewall height, 29.61" diameter

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-21-10 at 01:36 PM. Reason: tire specs added
Old 01-20-10, 11:12 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see Lexus do a version of the Venza....
That would be the RX.
Old 01-20-10, 11:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That would be the RX.
I don't see it that way.

Toyota equivalent of RX is the Highlander to me.
Old 01-20-10, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That would be the RX.
No, not as I see it. The RX sits substantially higher than the Venza, has different handling, and is definitely more SUV-like, though smooth and refined, of course.
Old 01-20-10, 11:41 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see it that way.

Toyota equivalent of RX is the Highlander to me.
All 3 vehicles are about the same spec-wise. The Venza and RX appeal to the same customers. The Highlander is more of a butch 3 row CUV, while both the Venza and RX are soft riding 2 row CUVs for smaller families. That's what I meant by saying that the RX was already very similar to the Venza. I don't see much need for a Lexus version. Lexus needs a larger 3 row crossover...
Old 01-20-10, 11:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All 3 vehicles are about the same spec-wise. The Venza and RX appeal to the same customers. The Highlander is more of a butch 3 row CUV, while both the Venza and RX are soft riding 2 row CUVs for smaller families. That's what I meant by saying that the RX was already very similar to the Venza. I don't see much need for a Lexus version. Lexus needs a larger 3 row crossover...
When I was looking at the Venza,I commented that the interior wasn't very Lexus-like and the salesman said Toyota doesn't want to make it too close to the RX.
So, this Toyota guy was saying it's close to a RX.
Old 01-20-10, 11:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

No surprise since all the vehicles discussed are derived from same platform.

But I see your point that maybe Lexus could generate more sales from a 3 row crossover versus a Lexus (sporty) version of the Venza. My preference would still be the Lexus version of Venza, but I'll admit I'm not looking for a minivan substitute.
Old 01-20-10, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But I see your point that maybe Lexus could generate more sales from a 3 row crossover versus a Lexus (sporty) version of the Venza.
Undoubtedly, if that is the case, Lexus marketers would have their eyes on the 3-row Buick Enclave, and the competition that vehicle is providing. The Enclave, not surprisingly, is been a success so far.

Lexus, in the 3-row department, currently has only the GX and LX...both truck-based and off-road-capable.
Old 01-20-10, 04:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Undoubtedly, if that is the case, Lexus marketers would have their eyes on the 3-row Buick Enclave, and the competition that vehicle is providing. The Enclave, not surprisingly, is been a success so far.

Lexus, in the 3-row department, currently has only the GX and LX...both truck-based and off-road-capable.
Yes, we can speculate about what Lexus is looking at to expand their markets and the following stats show Toyota/Lexus success with specialized crossover SUV's:

. LX and GX are selling about 500 units a month and are non-players in the 3-row SUV market, being truck-based doesn't justify the poor sales.

. RX at about 8000 units per month is a lucrative top-seller.

. Enclave runs about 5000 units per month (about the same as Venza), not bad.
Old 01-20-10, 05:40 PM
love_lexus
Driver

I saw these two cars in person, and I'd say Venza is larger and has a better looking than Crosstour.
Old 01-20-10, 08:14 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

If it wasn't for the grille, I'd love the Venza. I'd say I prefer its interior layout to the RX by far.

The Crosstour is a bit of a disappointment. The prototypes showed so much promise and looked great, far better than the final product.
Old 01-20-10, 10:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still haven't seen many Venza with aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-21-10, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still haven't seen many Venza with aftermarket wheels.
To some degree, Toyota has addressed that need via their 19" and 20" OEM wheel choices.
Old 01-21-10, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, we can speculate about what Lexus is looking at to expand their markets and the following stats show Toyota/Lexus success with specialized crossover SUV's:

. LX and GX are selling about 500 units a month and are non-players in the 3-row SUV market, being truck-based doesn't justify the poor sales.

. RX at about 8000 units per month is a lucrative top-seller.

. Enclave runs about 5000 units per month (about the same as Venza), not bad.
No arguements there. But that was just the point I was trying to make...........Lexus (probably) needs a 3-row, car-based SUV that WILL sell. The truck-based, 3-row, GX and LX just aren't cutting it in the sales numbers. And the LX is quite expensive...more, in some cases, than the LS460.

While the Venza will probably sell more as its competition to the Subaru Outback (which clearly outsells it) becomes more widely-known, I still think it would do even better (and some Toyota salespeople are also saying this) if it came with, say, 17" wheels standard and the 19 or 20-inchers were an option instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-21-10 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda Crosstour vs. Toyota Venza