Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 03:05 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed

Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed
Posted by krew on January 20th, 2010

Lexus has announced that the SC 430 will cease production in July, ending the nine-year run of the second generation sports coupe.

To mark the occasion, Lexus Japan will be offering a special, limited edition dubbed The Eternal Jewel, which will bring an extreme level of customization to both the interior & exterior color choices, including separate colors for the body and the roof:

There’s even more variety in the interior color choices:

Of course, The Eternal Jewel is also marked with some special badging:

The Eternal Jewel will limited to 200 units and will only be available to Japanese customers. You can find more information on Lexus Japan website.

Naturally, the question becomes: What happens next with Lexus’ sport coupe? We can definitely expect a hiatus for the model, similar to what happened in 2001 with the transition from the first-gen SC to the current SC. Rumor suggests that we might see a concept in 2011 and a production model in late 2011/early 2012.

This is strictly conjuncture, but it’s likely the delay has to do with not taking any attention away from the LFA as it builds momentum towards the first production units in early 2011—but once those units start hitting the roads, it will be a natural marketing opportunity to bring out a (relatively) affordable sports coupe that can capitalize on some of the technology and design cues from the LFA.

Last edited by (Cj); 01-20-10 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 03:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I bet a nice white exterior with a black top would be nice..
Old 01-20-10, 03:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SC has always been an exercise of coddling build quality; luxury over performance. It is somewhat obsolete with today's current technology, but it did make an impression during its heyday. It will surely be missed.

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Naturally, the question becomes: What happens next with Lexus’ sport coupe? We can definitely expect a hiatus for the model, similar to what happened in 2001 with the transition from the first-gen SC to the current SC.

...but once (LFA) units start hitting the roads, it will be a natural marketing opportunity to bring out a (relatively) affordable sports coupe that can capitalize on some of the technology and design cues from the LFA.
I used to think that the LFA was sort of like an SC-F.

I think a "regular" V8 SC that pumps over 400hp will be a hit. I see it as a mirror image to the Jaguar XK in terms of performance and pricing.

I hope Lexus learns and cuts the fat off the next SC by making it lighter and more performance savvy, and bring it back to its roots ala first-generation SC.
Old 01-20-10, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow this special edition is pretty darn cool, i like it a lot!!!
Old 01-20-10, 03:37 PM
LexFather

The SC did very well for the brand initially bringing new customers to Lexus. With the competition coming fast and the SC getting minimal investment, sales of course fell off the last 3 years.

It did well most years though! It truly is an "Eternal Jewel" and even if you didn't like the styling, it doesn't look old or outdated today.

Old 01-20-10, 03:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

What's up with the vast amount of interior choices?!?

Old 01-20-10, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
What's up with the vast amount of interior choices?!?

that's what you get in japan
Old 01-20-10, 03:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I hope a 2010 Pebble Beach Edition goes spectacular for the last year of production.

It would be great if they make a red SC430 with black rooftop, with that red/black interior.

That would be hot!!!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed-sc430pbe.jpg  
Old 01-20-10, 04:00 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That black/white combo on the top row doesn't look half bad
Old 01-20-10, 04:03 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

definately a timeless design. hpe they continue this trend with the next SC. technology in the car is a bit dated though
Old 01-20-10, 04:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the best quality interiors in the history of cars without a doubt. A little cramped but beautiful.
The exterior has always been a love-hate thing but it is without question very stylish and unique. It's a design that won't fade away easily.
When it's modded cosmetically, it can be one of the hottest on the street. The next SC, if there is one coming, will have to go a long way to top this one. Can't wait for the early models to become cheap enough for younger guys to buy and mod the heck out of.
Old 01-20-10, 04:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A fitting special edition to go out with a bang! Thought I'd link to a timely appreciative article by a Europhile luxury car columnist, who declares the SC 430 to have aged well and elegantly:

http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/lexus-sc430/

It's also true that the SC 430 (along with LS 430) have set quality benchmarks within Lexus, as perhaps their most well-built vehicles ever.

Bring on the 3SC soon! Perhaps after the LFA enters hands...a tantalizing concept...a production model...
Old 01-20-10, 05:01 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful interior. I can't wait to see what the 3rd gen will look like, thats if they do make it.
Old 01-20-10, 06:01 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

As an avid enthusiast of the first generation SC, this car was disappointing to me when I first saw it, but over the years it has really grown on me. I think the wheel, tail lamp, and headlight updates (2005+) really help to sharpen up the exterior. That white one with the contrasting black roof is looking awfully good for a UZZ40...

Bring on the 3SC!
+1
Old 01-20-10, 06:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Love the 2-tone interiors

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed