Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All LFAs sold. well sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 11:33 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Well 458 money isn't exactly LFA money, now is it?

Huh? The F458 is around $300k
Old 01-24-10, 11:49 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Interesting. I agree that in exotic circles, they know little about it. Most in that group, first look basic performance numbers versus cost. Once they saw those or heard about it, the car was immediately dismissed as overpriced. $375k to go 0-60 in 3.6? A 560 Gallardo or F430 will do that. What fascinates me is that Lexus has claimed to found an entirely new car niche where there are 160 buyers in the US willing to plunk down $375k (even the price is debated because on TopGear they clearly said 375,000 pounds, which would put it at over $500k) and not draw buyers from the existing exotic market without displacing any cars. And all of this by identifying buyers themselves that they choose from?

How do they choose a buyer without relying on numerical data and not get sued? I'd think they would run into all kinds of problems otherwise. What if a minority didn't get chosen? Wouldn't they have a lawsuit? What if they didn't pick enough women? I'm ready to leave this one alone and watch it unfold. I remain a skeptic.

I'd love for one of the US buyers to step forward and write about the order process. I'd also love to see someone put together an actual registry of these cars, given there are so few. I'll post if I learn anything concrete.

Meanwhile I still do like my Lexus. The only problem was I blew out the audio system once. Other than that, it's never had any unscheduled problem. My SC430 on the other hand was a complete nightmare.
I think the problem here that most people are still speculating on how the cars will be allocated b/c there certainly has not been any concrete info on how the selection process will be undertaken. My guess is that Lexus will do what they have always done and wait to the last minute to announce how everything will go, until then it will be a free for all like we saw whether the LFA would be built or woundn't.

On the other hand here in Japan the selection process is just about finalized and will be done by a draw, which is as fair as it can get.

But this does not take away the fact that there are more people in line to buy the car than there are cars.

And just on a personal note , the main reason why I am interested in the car is b/c I believe it will be a very user friendly car with most of the comforts that you usually see in a Lexus, plus some added extras that you don't see. I have just been told that servicing is going to be a lot more expensive than a normal Lexus. Eg $800 US for an oil change.
Old 01-25-10, 05:23 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I think the problem here that most people are still speculating on how the cars will be allocated b/c there certainly has not been any concrete info on how the selection process will be undertaken. My guess is that Lexus will do what they have always done and wait to the last minute to announce how everything will go, until then it will be a free for all like we saw whether the LFA would be built or woundn't.

On the other hand here in Japan the selection process is just about finalized and will be done by a draw, which is as fair as it can get.

But this does not take away the fact that there are more people in line to buy the car than there are cars.

And just on a personal note , the main reason why I am interested in the car is b/c I believe it will be a very user friendly car with most of the comforts that you usually see in a Lexus, plus some added extras that you don't see. I have just been told that servicing is going to be a lot more expensive than a normal Lexus. Eg $800 US for an oil change.
That service cost is about the same with a Lamborghini or Ferrari. There is a similar charge at around 1,000 miles and then about every 5,000 miles after that. I have no doubt the LFA will be very well made and the fit and finish will be terrific and probably better than everyone else and the technology will be equally outstanding. All of that should be on par with what we've come to know about the brand.

I've posted on all the major forums, the question regarding who has firm plans to buy one and I've not heard from anyone yet. This differs significantly from the reaction to the release of other cars in the last two years. This lack or reaction is on par with how the Mercedes McLarin SLR, was received and the AM DBS. Both manufacturers claimed sold out production and the cars never moved.

I'm curious, the "Lexus" brand was new around 2004-2005 in Japan is Lexus more popular than BMW and Mercedes in Japan or is it treated as too domestic? I was in one where the driver could select dialect of Japanese. Whatever it was made the passengers laugh.

Lamborghini had an allocation per country for the LP670-4 SV and changed it once demand shifted. BTW, I say my first Lamborghini Murcielago while in Tokyo in 2004. I loved walking the back side of the Ginza district on a Friday night just to see the cars. I do love Tokyo!
Old 01-25-10, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

TommyJames, I agree with you that Lexus doesnt have the performance numbers or the brand name for a $400000 car. Thats why they are limiting the production. Its the old saying, people always want what they cannot have. I am sure there will be at least 150 rich Asian guy in the US who would pay that much for the LFA.
Old 01-25-10, 07:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
TommyJames, I agree with you that Lexus doesnt have the performance numbers or the brand name for a $400000 car. Thats why they are limiting the production. Its the old saying, people always want what they cannot have. I am sure there will be at least 150 rich Asian guy in the US who would pay that much for the LFA.
So only Asian guys in the US will buy it? Where did you get that information from ?
Old 01-25-10, 07:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I won't be getting one !
Old 01-25-10, 08:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So only Asian guys in the US will buy it? Where did you get that information from ?
I am saying that the rich Asian guys in the US will be more likely to buy the LFA than others being that the LFA is a Japanese car.
Old 01-25-10, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am saying that the rich Asian guys in the US will be more likely to buy the LFA than others being that the LFA is a Japanese car.

Dude, people buy it not because of where it came from, but because of what it is: they're buying a technological piece of engineering artwork.

That's like saying Germans would buy an Audi R8 over a Ferrari because it's German...
Old 01-25-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Interesting. I agree that in exotic circles, they know little about it. Most in that group, first look basic performance numbers versus cost. Once they saw those or heard about it, the car was immediately dismissed as overpriced. $375k to go 0-60 in 3.6? A 560 Gallardo or F430 will do that. What fascinates me is that Lexus has claimed to found an entirely new car niche where there are 160 buyers in the US willing to plunk down $375k (even the price is debated because on TopGear they clearly said 375,000 pounds, which would put it at over $500k) and not draw buyers from the existing exotic market without displacing any cars. And all of this by identifying buyers themselves that they choose from?

How do they choose a buyer without relying on numerical data and not get sued? I'd think they would run into all kinds of problems otherwise. What if a minority didn't get chosen? Wouldn't they have a lawsuit? What if they didn't pick enough women? I'm ready to leave this one alone and watch it unfold. I remain a skeptic.

I'd love for one of the US buyers to step forward and write about the order process. I'd also love to see someone put together an actual registry of these cars, given there are so few. I'll post if I learn anything concrete.

Meanwhile I still do like my Lexus. The only problem was I blew out the audio system once. Other than that, it's never had any unscheduled problem. My SC430 on the other hand was a complete nightmare.
one thing i will want to stress again, and as an exotic / supercar owner as you are you should very much agree, that 0-60 is a pretty moot point in cars like these. i am not saying it's meaningless, it does has its value, but if you talk about performance of the car, track time makes a lot more sense.

i am not saying the lfa is fastest on the ring, but the fact remains that lexus (or anyone else) really has any confirmed figures on the track time. could be fast, could be slow. but there are numbers from lexus long time racer on the rough time which seems very promising. another "reference" would be the top gear wet track time which again looks pretty promising

i think until there are more track times available, it can't be a fair game comparing the lfa to other cars from a price + performance aspect
Old 01-25-10, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
one thing i will want to stress again, and as an exotic / supercar owner as you are you should very much agree, that 0-60 is a pretty moot point in cars like these. i am not saying it's meaningless, it does has its value, but if you talk about performance of the car, track time makes a lot more sense.

i am not saying the lfa is fastest on the ring, but the fact remains that lexus (or anyone else) really has any confirmed figures on the track time. could be fast, could be slow. but there are numbers from lexus long time racer on the rough time which seems very promising. another "reference" would be the top gear wet track time which again looks pretty promising

i think until there are more track times available, it can't be a fair game comparing the lfa to other cars from a price + performance aspect
Agreed. Hell after the Veryron, every car is slow. That doesn't make other exotics any less meaningful. Some still consider the McLaren F1 "THE" exotic, doesn't make anything else a bad choice.

Again I am not totally surprised that many exotic car owners don't know about the LFA. Lexus hasn't had a huge marketing event for the car. Who is really wanting/expecting a Lexus supercar? Hardly anyone.

We should all be glad it is here.
What?

Old 01-25-10, 12:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Dude, people buy it not because of where it came from, but because of what it is: they're buying a technological piece of engineering artwork.

That's like saying Germans would buy an Audi R8 over a Ferrari because it's German...
Have you ever seen that R8 commerical when the R8 was driving thru Italy?

I know this will be impossoble to prove, but I bet that the percentage of LFA sold to Asian Americans will be much greater than the percentage of Asian American population in the US.
Old 01-25-10, 12:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Time for an LFA sub forum. I would love to hear owners feedback on these cars
Old 01-25-10, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Time for an LFA sub forum. I would love to hear owners feedback on these cars
Same here, I would love to hear if the LFA can live up to its hype.
Old 01-25-10, 02:52 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So you keep mentioning none of your friends got a call from Lexus. AFAIK, no one got a call from Lexus. You needed to call them. If you didn't, you're not even in line.
Lexus also advertised the need to call them to express interest... it's not like everyone who wanted to didn't have the chance to call in.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I think the SALES model is a lot more like the Enzo. The surrounding circumstances are obviously NOT, but the approach is not new or unique as it mimics Ferrari's model when they sold the Enzo. Owner qualification required, selection required, and lease only. I really doubt Ferrari called anyone about buying an Enzo as I'm pretty confident they had no problem finding willing buyers. Sounds to me like Lexus is ignoring the "community" because they've already found buyers for such a small production run. It wouldn't be the first time they've ignored convention.
I think the easiest way to say this is that Lexus is emulating the Ferrari distribution model while not having what Ferrari uses to pick its buyers - i.e., past Ferrari sales. Lexus has never sold anything remotely resembling the LFA and is new to the supercar game, so they do the best they can: Open up the phone lines for people to express interest and then evaluate those interested to figure out who gets to have one. Effectively, it's not all that different from Ferrari picking its most "loyal" buyers to lease an F50 or an Enzo or to be at the front of the waiting list for a new model.

I know this will be impossoble to prove, but I bet that the percentage of LFA sold to Asian Americans will be much greater than the percentage of Asian American population in the US.
That wouldn't demonstrate much, given that Asian-Americans are "overrepresented", so to speak, relative to overall population in affluence measurements. Asian-Americans are probably "overrepresented" relative to overall population in general Lexus ownership too, but they probably are just the same in MB, Audi, even BMW (*sigh*), and overall luxury car ownership.

Interesting. I agree that in exotic circles, they know little about it. Most in that group, first look basic performance numbers versus cost.
No, they really don't look at "basic performance numbers" first. Sorry.

Last edited by gengar; 01-25-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 03:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you ever seen that R8 commerical when the R8 was driving thru Italy?
I had to YouTube it. Is this it?

Nice!!!

(By the way, Maranello is only an hour away from the Ducati factory.. )

Quick Reply: All LFAs sold. well sort of...