Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Cute-Ute Throwdown: Rav4 wins again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 09:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2010 Cute-Ute Throwdown: Rav4 wins again!

Terrain vs. CR-V, RAV4, Tiguan, Mariner, Outlander, Forester, Grand Vitara - Comparison Tests

The (Just) O.K. Corral: We gallop through Bluegrass Country, exercising eight SUVs that are not so much quarter horses as miniature ponies.

BY JOHN PHILLIPS, PHOTOGRAPHY BY MARC URBANO
January 2010

Car And Driver Comparison Test

Eighth: 2010 Mercury Mariner V-6 AWD

Seventh: 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara V-6 Limited 4WD

Sixth: 2010 GMC Terrain SLE

Fifth: 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

Fourth: 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited

Third: 2010 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD

Second: 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SE

First: 2010 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4x4

In truth, one doesn’t associate raging carnivorism with these docile vehicles, which Americans still view as SUVs but we regard as tall wagons. Why not a Camry wagon instead of a RAV4 or an Accord wagon instead of a CR-V? Whenever we’ve proffered that argument, however, we’ve been met with blank stares. So here we go again with the “mild horses,” strong on practicality but mostly less fun than that pony your parents rented for your sixth birthday.

This time around, we’ve deleted the Jeep Liberty and the Nissan Rogue, which didn’t win previously and are unchanged. We included no Hyundai because an all-new Tucson is looming but not yet available. And GM’s envoy on this outing was the new GMC Terrain. To that mix we added a couple of turbocharged newcomers: VW’s Tiguan and Subaru’s recently updated Forester.

We opted for automatic transmissions, the highest-output engine, and all-wheel drive. Alas, we could locate only front-drive versions of the Terrain and the Tiguan. Sorry.

Given the insurance claims following our most recent mini-SUV test, we went to great pains this time to assure a damage-free outing. Did you know that horses enjoy eating side-view mirrors, windshield wipers, $12,000 Nikon cameras, and paint right down to bare metal? Neither did we.
Old 01-20-10, 09:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default And the winner:

In 2008, a four-cylinder RAV4 defeated all of its closest competitors. Twenty-four months later, a six-cylinder RAV4 repeats the feat. By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota would finish.

Despite its size, what the RAV4 does best is drive like a car, and nearly like a sports sedan, in fact. Its platform is shared with no other vehicle, so it’s not too surprising that every component feels custom-built and perfectly integrated, as if the engineers who designed the drivetrain talked to the engineers who tuned the chassis who talked to the engineers who dialed in the steering who talked to the engineers who calibrated the brakes.

Fitted with the most-powerful-in-class V-6, the RAV4 is the quickest to 60 mph, is the fleetest through the quarter-mile, and offers the greatest top speed. Yet it is also the smoothest of the bunch and—this is the incredible part—managed to tie the Honda’s little four-banger for best observed fuel economy despite having two more cylinders.

And the kudos for this compact SUV didn’t stop there. The Toyota’s transmission was deemed the slickest, never drawing attention to itself. The chassis imposes disciplined body motions on the vehicle while simultaneously delivering a ride as plush as the Mariner’s. The RAV4 tied the CR-V for greatest rear-seat comfort. At idle, the V-6 proved so velvety that several of us tried to start an already running vehicle. And if you’re in the habit of carrying multiple cases of beer—who isn’t?—the Toyota’s cargo bay will swallow the most.

Complaints were few. The headliner is cheesy, and the plastic-clad A-pillars need to be covered in fabric. The black cargo tonneau cover is fiddly and appears to have been made from a Glad garbage bag. And the base of the shifter travels through a flimsy plastic sliding panel, when a traditional boot would have been friction-free and easier on the eyes.`

Otherwise, this Toyota is good-looking, reliable, well-built, and enjoyable—what most of us seek in a spouse. At the Tokyo motor show, Akio Toyoda said of his company’s cars, “We’ve got to make them fun.” He won’t have to work too hard on this one.

Old 01-20-10, 09:41 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see why you picked one up now Phil
Old 01-20-10, 09:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I read this article a few weeks ago, it's very helpful for those shopping this class of SUV.
Old 01-21-10, 09:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I see why you picked one up now Phil

(Shhhh! No one knows about it...)
Old 01-21-10, 10:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the CR-V had 25 more HP or a 6 cyl,it wins.
The EX-L CR-V is really nice but the underpowered 4 cyl kills it for a purchase for the wife.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-21-10 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 12:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, this generation Rav4 is one of the best 'utes on the entire market with everything considered.
Old 01-21-10, 12:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those 1st, 2nd and 3rd place rating is right on the nose. The RAV is such a nice SUV, my wife had 2 of them. The RAV can carry cargo that my GX470 cannot and yet still go from 0-60 in about 6 seconds and get 24 MPG on low octane gas. We also look at the VW and the CRV as well, both are very nice SUVs.
Old 01-21-10, 12:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

and new Rav4 is coming next year too ;-)
Old 01-21-10, 01:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It wouldnt have been my choice. I drove one and although it handled well I was not impressed with the interior
Old 01-21-10, 01:22 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My choice would be CRV 1st, RAV4 2nd.
Old 01-21-10, 01:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

One thing though, I was always under the impression that the RAV was on the Corolla platform..... ?!?
Old 01-21-10, 01:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by MR_F1
One thing though, I was always under the impression that the RAV was on the Corolla platform..... ?!?
The Toyota Matrix and Scion xD (and the Pontiac Vibe) all share the same Corolla platform.

The older generation Rav4 were based on the Camry.

Currently, the '06-'10 Rav4 is a unique platform to the Toyota family, although it does share the ubiquitous 3.5L V6, and for '09+, the new I-4 engine found on the Highlander and Venza.
Old 01-21-10, 01:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
and new Rav4 is coming next year too ;-)
If they step up the interior to the new 4Runner's level, and put a 6 speed in it, tweak the engine for a few more horses, economy & emissions, keep a nice design and the weight down, it will be the champ for yet another generation.
Old 01-21-10, 01:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Toyota Matrix and Scion xD (and the Pontiac Vibe) all share the same Corolla platform.

The older generation Rav4 were based on the Camry.

Currently, the '06-'10 Rav4 is a unique platform to the Toyota family, although it does share the ubiquitous 3.5L V6, and for '09+, the new I-4 engine found on the Highlander and Venza.
And the xB as well. I can't remember where I got that idea from... are the 1st gen Ravs on the corolla platform?

Quick Reply: 2010 Cute-Ute Throwdown: Rav4 wins again!