Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes E550 Coupe: Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 02:51 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Mercedes E550 Coupe: Opinions

My mom is looking for a new car. Now, after years of saying she would never own another Mercedes, she is looking into the E550 coupe. She wants to get a V8 coupe again, and since Lexus doesn't sound like they're gonna redesign the SC shes going to try another make. She test drove the BMW 6-series and the E550 and CL550. She loved them all but the BMW was too complicated according to her, and the CL was too big. The E550 impressed her, but she did note the interior isn't as nice as Mercedes use to be. Just seeing if anyone has anything to input on the E550. I see quite a few E350 coupes, but have only seen one E550 on the road.
Old 01-24-10, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its just meh, for some reason the E class just becomes too common and boring. The 5.5 liter engine is wonderful, and the torque on that thing is insane.

She wont consider the SC at all? They are still producing and selling them.
Old 01-24-10, 03:13 PM
LexFather

The E550 is based on the old chassis but it looks like the new E-class. I find the exterior beyond busy and worse in person (The front looks great, and it goes to hell after that). Surely though many people will love it b/c
1. Its a Benz
2. They like the styling
3. It drives fine to them and has nice optional features.

She doesn't like the Audi S5? That is a beautiful V-8 coupe.

Even if I am no fan of the car I am 100% sure your mom would be satisfied with an E550 coupe.

Old 01-24-10, 03:23 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

She hates the look of the SC430. My dad bought her one back in 2002 thinking he would be surprising her. Car was sold within a few months. I forgot about the S5. I know she isn't a fan of Audi, but it is a really nice looking car. She also drove a G37, but for some reasons complains that its a V6.
Old 01-24-10, 03:26 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should go to the Mbworld.org and ask people who own these cars, and get feedback on what their opinon on the 550 coupe is.
Old 01-24-10, 03:36 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with having a V6?

Look into A5 / S5 . . They're still trying to get rid of the 09s so you could get in on a good deal.
Old 01-24-10, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't driven the E550 coupe, but I did a full-length review last summer on the new 2010 E550 sedan. Hope this helps you at least somewhat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...edes-e550.html
Old 01-24-10, 03:44 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sash
Look into A5 / S5 . . They're still trying to get rid of the 09s so you could get in on a good deal.
Yeah, good luck with that. There's only 2 S5s available within 500 miles of southern CA.
Old 01-24-10, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
She wants to get a V8 coupe again, and since Lexus doesn't sound like they're gonna redesign the SC shes going to try another make. She test drove the BMW 6-series and the E550 and CL550. She loved them all but the BMW was too complicated according to her, and the CL was too big. The E550 impressed her, but she did note the interior isn't as nice as Mercedes use to be. Just seeing if anyone has anything to input on the E550. I see quite a few E350 coupes, but have only seen one E550 on the road.
There are less-expensive, American-nameplate coupes with V8s, of course, like the Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc.... but, of course, they don't have the refinement, driving pleasure, or the build quality of the upmarket models your mom has been looking at.

As for the Lexus SC, a new one may be coming before too long. Lexus supposedly will show one off this year.....I hope to see it myself this coming week at the D.C. Auto Show.

Whats wrong with having a V6?
I agree. In the upmarket class of vehicles you mom is looking at, she could probably save a lot of money by chossing a V6 over a V8. V8 BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, and Lexus models are big $$$$$.
Old 01-24-10, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, the S5 is drop-dead gorgeous, but its V8, compared to some competitors, is not that strong. It's more than enough power for my tastes, but some owners, even right here on CAR CHAT, have complained that it can't keep up with BMW or Mercedes V8s.
Old 01-24-10, 04:38 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The E550 is based on the old chassis but it looks like the new E-class. I find the exterior beyond busy and worse in person (The front looks great, and it goes to hell after that). Surely though many people will love it b/c
1. Its a Benz
2. They like the styling
3. It drives fine to them and has nice optional features.

Even if I am no fan of the car I am 100% sure your mom would be satisfied with an E550 coupe.
It's not based on the old chassis its based of the w204's which is the current C class and Lexus owners shouldent complaing about chassis sharing they are mostley moddified Toyota's.
Old 01-24-10, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bad co
It's not based on the old chassis its based of the w204's which is the current C class and Lexus owners shouldent complaing about chassis sharing they are mostley moddified Toyota's.
hmm... My mistake the E class coupe is based of the c- class. Now the problem is you got butthurt and bring a completely unrelated and obvious point up as Lexus is not being discussed.

In the future stick to the topic, stop getting defensive about Mercedes especially when facts are being discussed. Simply correct a mistake. Thanks.

Old 01-25-10, 04:50 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think its just meh, for some reason the E class just becomes too common and boring. The 5.5 liter engine is wonderful, and the torque on that thing is insane.

She wont consider the SC at all? They are still producing and selling them.
Man the SC is OLD... (that thing was featured in T3)! I think the E550 coupe and S5 are nice! However the Audi doesn't have the prestige of a MB or even a Lexus. I like the overall redesign of the E, the only thing I dont like is the center A/C vent (design) in the coupe... looks really lame and cheap. The New E is packed with performance and technology. I'm sure she won't regret her choice!
Old 01-25-10, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Lexus owners shouldent complaing about chassis sharing they are mostley moddified Toyota's.
This is a charge that is often made but has only limited basis in fact. Toyota and Lexus models sometimes do originate from the same platform (the Camry/Avalon/ES350/Highlander/RX combo is probably the best example), but given so, there are often VAST differences in refinement, quietness, equipment, trim, etc...between Toyota and Lexus models. With a Lexus, you often do get what you pay for, even if it costs substantially more.
Old 01-25-10, 09:10 AM
LexFather

Everyone stay on topic. This is about the E550. Thanks

Quick Reply: Mercedes E550 Coupe: Opinions