Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has Anyone Owned or Driven The MB CLS550

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 09:19 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

new cls is comin out soon like early next year...
Old 01-25-10, 10:03 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the CL is a BEAUTIFUL car.

However these guys are right. MBs are expensive as $&%^ to maintain and repair. I went to Lexus because of this.

Owning a lexus is not cheap either, but cost of ownership is a bargain compared to owning a MB.
Old 01-25-10, 10:27 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CLS is a great looking car. I strongly considered getting one 2 years ago, but needed more room in the back.

Take the comments about reliability with a grain of salt. No doubt MB had issues in the late '90s until around 2005. But more recent models should have better reliability. My E has had absolutely no problems. My sister's GL550 has been perfect as well.

And honsetly, I've found service costs to be comparable to Lexus. A service every 13k runs about $200 to $300, although with coupons a "Service A" is $129 and a "Service B" is $229...pretty reasonable IMHO. And once a car is out of warranty, all luxury cars are expensive to maintain.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 01-25-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:28 AM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hated it when it first came out, It has really grown on me. When done right these cars are one of the best looking on the road. I would wait for the new one to come out.
Old 01-25-10, 11:35 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Interior styling feels old. The command module in particular with those large plastic switches looks old. The new E-class has smaller sharper looking switches with a lot of metal and more refined soft-touch materials. The interior also seems old relative to the GS (while I concede both are out of date.

Also the CLS550 powertrain doesn't feel nearly as refined as the GS460s with the 8 speed and the very very smooth V8.
As far as interior I agree it's not the greatest. But I'm saying this b/c I use to own a CL before I downgrade to my CLS. But as far as refinement the interior will do. As far as power train if you’re looking for a smooth cushy ride purchase an E class not a CLS. I'm not going to speak about power!! I prefer 6 gears anyway, that 7 and 8 gear stuff is just a gimmicky in my imo. The CLS stands out in any room and that's something the GS and E class just don't do as well. But I guess it should it cost almost 20K more.

On another note you can't go wrong with the CLS. The maintenance is not that bad plus you’re driving Benz. Get a warranty and burn the road up with your 382hp.
Who in the world go to the dealer to get after market rims put on their vehicle!! NTB or Mr. Tires any place but a dealer

Last edited by rogers2; 01-25-10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 03:11 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

My mom picked up a 2006 CLS500 this April. As a luxury car, it does very well. The rear seat is somewhat compromised, but that's the price you pay for the styling. My biggest issue with the car is the Airmatic suspension. When you kick-down 2 or more gears, the rear end almost feels like it wants to rotate while the air suspension figures out what to do. It's a very artificial feeling.
Old 01-25-10, 03:40 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
I had a CL55 AMG. I LOVED the car. But I will now bow down to anyone who can afford to keep this car up. This is an extremely expensive car to maintain. I went into the MB dealership to ask about switching the phone from analog to digital. And then putting on staggered tires/rims just on the front. $7500!!!!!!!!!!! And the salesman used the word 'only' in there.
I would hate to see what any maintenance would cost.
I thanked him for his time and drove right over to the Lexus dealership and traded it in. I had my beautiful AMG for only 6 weeks. Didn't even make a payment on it yet. That's how much it scared me!
Comparing an amg to non amg is like comparing a banana pepper to a cayenne pepper, theyre both peppers but it ends theyre. I would like to add rims and tires are not maintenance related item's. They use synthetic fluid's and some are "mb only" i.e power steering and coolant so that adds to the cost. On my ML500 basic service is around $150 dollars but service intervals are around every 8k miles. Some services might get expensive i.e trans fluid flush and plugs and wires. I believe the 550 motors like the 500 motors use 2 spark plugs per cylinder so that service gets expensive.

Last edited by bad co; 01-25-10 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 04:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I had a CL55 AMG. I LOVED the car. But I will now bow down to anyone who can afford to keep this car up. This is an extremely expensive car to maintain. I went into the MB dealership to ask about switching the phone from analog to digital. And then putting on staggered tires/rims just on the front. $7500!!!!!!!!!!! And the salesman used the word 'only' in there.
I thanked him for his time and drove right over to the Lexus dealership and traded it in. I had my beautiful AMG for only 6 weeks. Didn't even make a payment on it yet. That's how much it scared me!
Wow, that sounds like an expensive experience (especially the trading in 6 weeks part).
Old 01-26-10, 09:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

CLS you say?

If so, then my neighbor has a CLS 350 and boy it looks like sex. It's the best-looking car in our street (followed next by the BMW 530d with M sport package). Fantastic looking
Old 01-26-10, 10:38 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

You can't mention reliability and Mercedes in the same sentence. I'm not sure about their quality lately, but my experience from our SLK left a very bitter taste in my mouth and swore to never set foot in another Mercedes product ever again (even if it was free). That's how strongly I feel about their products. Though, styling and interior quality are hands down their best feats. Maintaining the car yourself is like learning to speak a new language. Be prepared to know where to look/research for things you need to fix or maintain something. Buying an extended warranty would be highly recommended if you plan on purchasing rather than leasing.
Old 01-26-10, 10:45 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Mercedes reliability is actually pretty good, we had a 1999 Mercedes ML which is running and hasn't had many problems besides one oil pan leak and normal maintenance, currently at 0-150k and doing fine. My dad has a 2006 cls500 from 0-50k and it hasn't gotten a single problem yet.
Old 01-26-10, 11:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Drove a CLS550 last year... beautiful and FAST!!! And the dealer had a California Edition (Diamond White) that sat in the showroom for 10 months... ... I'm sure there's a reason. And have heard similar on very expensive to maintain...
Old 01-26-10, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My buddy drive an 08 CLS550 and he likes the car but is always saying the thrill of the car wore off pretty fast and now he is stuck with a large payment and similar experiences at the dealership service department. Cool car to drive but I think the interior could be a bit nicer for the money and absolutely more room would be a nice thing