Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Considering FWD Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good, because I saw some trivia about Audi up there somewhere, that has nothing to do with how public views Audi today.
Unfortunately, many people today view automakers by image rather than fact. Those images linger long after conditions change.

Yes, AWD RX (being a SUV) is a very popular model. And Lexus has done very well with sales of FWD ES350. Other car manufacturers will probably seek a piece of that high-margin business.
Well, getting back to the Infiniti FWD issue, it seems like you're (maybe?) suggesting that Infiniti do a FWD mid-size car, once again, like the I30/35, except with IRS this time. The Infiniti G and M series, of course, actually compete more with the Lexus IS and GS series more than they do the ES.

If that is what you are suggesting, then I agree, except it would have to have a somewhat softer suspension than the G or M to compete with the ES. The ES350, of course, is somewhat firmer-riding than the ES330 it replaced (much has been discussed about that in CAR CHAT, and we don't need to rehash that here), but it is still somewhat softer than a number of Infiniti models.
Old 01-25-10, 03:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....and the sales figures for the ES and RX prove that there is a place for FWD in luxury-vehicle line-ups, though, of course, the RX sells in mostly in AWD form, not FWD.
Actually Mike, the FWD RX outsells the AWD model by a healthy margin. In the south and on the west coast, AWD RXs are basically special order only. Most dealers do not order AWDs unless there is a customer request, or maybe once in a blue moon. In the central and northern parts of the nation the breakdown is somewhere around 50/50 for AWD and FWD units.
Old 01-25-10, 03:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Haven't forgotten Audi, especially with it's recent success in the US market.

But I have forgotten which Audi has RWD in the US?
Maybe none i thought they did...
Old 01-25-10, 03:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, lol, solid axle version is great for pickup trucks too (cheap and durable). 4-wheel alignments are infrequent and insignificant expense in the ownership cost of a premium sedan. These cars had compromised ride/handling that would not be acceptable in premium cars today. Even back then they were not considered to be near the top in the area of handling or ride.
Don't confuse flex/torsion beam axle and solid rear axle. Solid rear axle is what you see on RWD/AWD trucks and truck based SUVs, while torsion beam is common on 80ies FWD passenger cars (mostly American) and minivans. Torsion beam is by far the most unsophisticated suspension type
Old 01-25-10, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Don't confuse flex/torsion beam axle and solid rear axle. Solid rear axle is what you see on RWD/AWD trucks and truck based SUVs, while torsion beam is common on 80ies FWD passenger cars (mostly American) and minivans. Torsion beam is by far the most unsophisticated suspension type
Yes, I know the difference, that's why I said version:

"Yes, lol, solid axle version is great for pickup trucks too (cheap and durable). 4-wheel alignments are infrequent and insignificant expense in the ownership cost of a premium sedan."

Agreed, both very different and crude.
Old 01-25-10, 04:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Although I think Infiniti can realize incremental sales revenue by adding selectively FWD cars to the lineup, FWD is no magic bullet for efficiency.
Old 01-25-10, 04:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I still feel, though, that nobody does a ride-handling combo like BMW. Their chassis engineers, IMO, are true masters.
Mike, in your test drives you seem to drive the cars on fairly smooth roads. On a smooth road, or even on somewhat rough road, BMW ride quality is usually almost as good as a comparable Lexus, albeit with a bit more road noise, while handling is arguably better, and steering feel is much better without questions.

However try hitting a large bump or pothole in a BMW and then do the same in a comparable Lexus. You will find that BMW deals with those a lot harsher.
Old 01-25-10, 05:30 PM
LexFather

The funny thing is I have said this years ago...all that is happening is all I have stated the past few years

Think I need to work in the auto industry!

Old 01-25-10, 05:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

1Sick for Czar!
Old 01-25-10, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mplexus301
1sick for czar! :d
lmfao! :d:d

Old 01-25-10, 06:13 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The funny thing is I have said this years ago...all that is happening is all I have stated the past few years

Think I need to work in the auto industry!
I bet you didn't predict that Lexus wanted to move down market and share platforms more.

You are right about some things though
Old 01-25-10, 06:14 PM
lex-phil
Driver

The former G20, a 4-cylinder, FWD, redone Nissan Sentra, was introduced into the American market twice.....and bombed out twice in sales. Time will tell if a G25 (if introduced here) will do any better.
Not to nitpick, but I always thought the G20 was a rebadged Nissan Primera.

Good move by Infiniti. They should bring back a Maxima based Fwd ES-competitor. My dad had a I30t and it was a solid car, Infiniti made a mistake getting rid of it. The entry level FWD is still a big market (certainly larger than EX niche market), so there should be room for Infiniti to release an I30-like vehicle as well as an RX competitor with both a FWD or AWD option. They should forget about the small niche market (EX), that is for Acura to go after...

I've been in CL for a while now (reading more than posting, admittedly), and its true that 1sick is rarely wrong about the industry. You should really work in the field, 1sick!
Old 01-25-10, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Not to nitpick, but I always thought the G20 was a rebadged Nissan Primera.
That's not a nitpick...it's a valid question. Technically, we're both correct. The Primera was not sold in the U.S., but, while not identical, was very similiar to the Sentra, which was. Al three cars...Sentra, G20, and Primera, share more or less a common platform and have many things in common.

I've been in CL for a while now (reading more than posting, admittedly), and its true that 1sick is rarely wrong about the industry. You should really work in the field, 1sick!
No question that 1SICK is one of our best CAR CHAT posters. We agree on most automotive issues; not all. I have a lot of respect for him.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 09:10 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

As one of the few Infiniti fans, I hope this is limited to an A3 competitor.

The G is almost the same size as a Maxima, there would be little sense in having a rebadged Altima or Maxima.
A smaller car however, to rival the 1 series, is the most logical choice, especially considering their recent invasion of Europe. Although I had assumed that was to be the electric car that was in development.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am going to elaborate a little bit on my post above about how FWD is looking more like the “way of the future” and how companies will continue to follow in the footsteps of VW/Audi and Toyota/Lexus. Many of us have made fun of Audi and even Lexus for this part and platform sharing, but I think this is only the beginning of such arrangements in the automotive industry, born out of necessity.

While we sometimes snicker about Lexus’ and Audi’s “humble” roots within Toyota and VW, at the end of the day when all of the reports are run, BMW and Mercedes probably wish they had the type of resources that Audi and Lexus do.
The only Audi's that shares a platform with Volkswagen is the A3, Q7 and the TT. The A4, A5, Q5, and A8 are all based on the MLB platform, used only by Audi and likely Bentley. The future A6, I believe, will be on this platform as well. The Q7 is based on a platform developed between Volkswagen, Porsche and the Q7 is a modified version of this platform.

Audi does benefit from being under the Volkswagen Group, but its relationship with Volkswagen is not like Toyota/Lexus.
Old 01-25-10, 10:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder if they want to do FWD again so they can rebadge the maxima like they did back in the day.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Considering FWD Again