Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Considering FWD Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 05:51 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Infiniti Considering FWD Again

Front-wheel drive cars, no matter how well-engineered, are always a compromise when it comes to being fast. They do enjoy some advantages in terms of packaging and efficiency, but sending power through the wheels doing the steering has obvious shortcomings.

Despite the drawbacks, Infiniti believes there is a market for front-wheel drive luxury vehicles and is considering launching several models based on a platform where the front wheels do the driving.

While popular models like the G and M sedans will remain rear-wheel drive, Nissan’s U.S. chief for product planning, Larry Dominique, has revealed that a new entry-level, front-wheel drive Infiniti, or even a family of vehicles, are under consideration.

Speaking at the recent 2010 Detroit Auto Show, Dominique explained that many buyers in this segment are either unaware or do not care whether a car is front-, rear- or even all-wheel drive, citing buyers of cars like the front-wheel drive TSX and all-wheel drive TL from Acura as an example.

"Those buyers are OK with it," he said.

With Lexus preparing a new small car based on its recent LF-Ch concept and Mercedes-Benz successfully selling its A- and B-Class models overseas, there's a very strong chance Infiniti might launch something along the same lines.

It wouldn't be the first time Infiniti has sold a front-wheel drive vehicle. The I35 sedan was the last front-wheel drive model Infiniti sold before the brand switched its policy to offering only rear-wheel drive models in an effort to raise its status against rivals like BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 01-25-10, 05:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good idea IMO. I like that Lexus offers a nice balance of front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
Old 01-25-10, 06:03 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
A good idea IMO. I like that Lexus offers a nice balance of front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
^^^^1, agreed, Lexus has the best variety of any manufacturer
Old 01-25-10, 07:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is sad to say but it seems like FWD is the way of the future. Between the economic crash last year, expensive development costs, CAFE standards, and increasing focus on building global platforms, FWD is the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish everything.

I wouldn't have said something like that 4-5 years ago but the market has changed so much just in the last year that the universal focus is now on production efficiency and cost control. Even BMW has supposedly been mulling a FWD 1 series. Look at the success that Lexus and Audi have had with utilizing FWD platforms from their parent companies- this is a no brainer.

I think this will be a good move for Infiniti, and they have plenty of flexible Nissan platforms to choose from so I could see this working out very well.
Old 01-25-10, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Front-wheel drive cars, no matter how well-engineered, are always a compromise when it comes to being fast. They do enjoy some advantages in terms of packaging and efficiency, but sending power through the wheels doing the steering has obvious shortcomings.

Despite the drawbacks, Infiniti believes there is a market for front-wheel drive luxury vehicles and is considering launching several models based on a platform where the front wheels do the driving.
This is correct. In general, in the auto industry, there has been too much emphasis recenty on performance/handling and not enough on other factors. It's time to start playing catch-up.
Old 01-25-10, 09:18 AM
LexFather

The I30/35 though outsold and out-shined by the ES, still sold 2000 or so units a month, maybe more. That is nothing to sneeze at. Look as much as Infiniti has tried to be truly credible it hasn't worked. Sales are right back down to pre 2000 levels. Perception/Image is slightly better than pre 2000. They say they are sport, but only offer a manual in the G37 and in nothing else. The QX56 fits where in the lineup?

Quite frankly they could rebadge a Maxima and it would fit as the Maxima is pretty much on par with a G37 in build, features, space, options and looks tons better. Bringing back the I35 sounds like a plan. Maybe rename it though. The thing is I fear people will skip the G37 and get the new I35 or whatever. One thing about the ES/IS/HS trick, they are all VERY distinctive and attract very different buyers with different wants, needs, etc.

A G37 and Maxima rebadge would be be sporty, both be around the same size. Nissan though has shown they can sell multiple sedans (even looking similar) at similar prices. Dealers are BEGGING for another volume seller. They would love the I35 back and they are begging for a RX fighter and not two small niche SUVs.

I will disagree with Mike though, FWD is not the future (again) like it became in the 1970s....

Old 01-25-10, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The I30/35 though outsold and out-shined by the ES, still sold 2000 or so units a month, maybe more. That is nothing to sneeze at.
That's because, despite it being a rebadged Maxima, Infiniti did a good job on the original I35's interior and assembly/material quality.....as good or better than its ES300 rival of the period. This was before the period when the famous Renault/Ghosn cost-cutting took place at Infiniti. In fact, when I bought my first Lexus, I looked at and seriously considered an I35.....It was in my Top 5 choice.

When Infiniti dropped that vehicle, I considered it a mistake compared to some of the models that followed it, though, admitttedly, there is no doubt that the G35 was a good BMW 3-series fighter, and, unlike the I35, offered AWD as an option.

I will disagree with Mike though, FWD is not the future (again) like it became in the 1970s....
I wasn't saying that FWD is necessarily the wave of the future (actually, to an extent, you will see more and more emphasis on AWD, especially with luxury-grade vehicles). What I meant is that I think the days of mass emphasis on power and handling are limited...and that will probably be less emphasis on RWD.

(So, in that sense, Acura may not have been so dumb in neglecting V8s and RWD)
Old 01-25-10, 09:29 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The I30/35 though outsold and out-shined by the ES, still sold 2000 or so units a month, maybe more. That is nothing to sneeze at. Look as much as Infiniti has tried to be truly credible it hasn't worked. Sales are right back down to pre 2000 levels. Perception/Image is slightly better than pre 2000. They say they are sport, but only offer a manual in the G37 and in nothing else. The QX56 fits where in the lineup?

Quite frankly they could rebadge a Maxima and it would fit as the Maxima is pretty much on par with a G37 in build, features, space, options and looks tons better. Bringing back the I35 sounds like a plan. Maybe rename it though. The thing is I fear people will skip the G37 and get the new I35 or whatever. One thing about the ES/IS/HS trick, they are all VERY distinctive and attract very different buyers with different wants, needs, etc.

A G37 and Maxima rebadge would be be sporty, both be around the same size. Nissan though has shown they can sell multiple sedans (even looking similar) at similar prices. Dealers are BEGGING for another volume seller. They would love the I35 back and they are begging for a RX fighter and not two small niche SUVs.

There will also be the new G25, so a lot of people will still be getting Gs but I doubt many will be getting the G37 when they have the choice between the cheaper G25 and I35.

Like you said it sounds like this "I35" is pretty much going to be a rebadged Maxima with available AWD.
Old 01-25-10, 09:32 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I was just thinking about this. Though Infiniti has tried to be purist as far as being a performance brand the reality is that the larger market doesn't really care about purism. If they want to boost sales in any significant way they have to offer something closer rto the sweet spot of the market for the more average buyer. In short, a softer FWD sedan and/or family Ute with generous comfort features and usable space. It may chew into G sales but that just allows them to push the G harder into enthusiast territory. When that happens I think they should elevate the M up into true flagship range.
Old 01-25-10, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
There will also be the new G25, so a lot of people will still be getting Gs but I doubt many will be getting the G37 when they have the choice between the cheaper G25 and I35.
The former G20, a 4-cylinder, FWD, redone Nissan Sentra, was introduced into the American market twice.....and bombed out twice in sales. Time will tell if a G25 (if introduced here) will do any better.
Old 01-25-10, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because, despite it being a rebadged Maxima, Infiniti did a good job on the original I35's interior and assembly/material quality.....as good or better than its ES300 rival of the period. This was before the period when the famous Renault/Ghosn cost-cutting took place at Infiniti. In fact, when I bought my first Lexus, I looked at and seriously considered an I35.....It was in my Top 5 choice.

When Infiniti dropped that vehicle, I considered it a mistake compared to some of the models that followed it, though, admitttedly, there is no doubt that the G35 was a good BMW 3-series fighter, and, unlike the I35, offered AWD as an option.

I wasn't saying that FWD is necessarily the wave of the future (actually, to an extent, you will see more and more emphasis on AWD, especially with luxury-grade vehicles). What I meant is that I think the days of mass emphasis on power and handling are limited...and that will probably be less emphasis on RWD.

(So, in that sense, Acura may not have been so dumb in neglecting V8s and RWD)
The 5th gen Maxima had a great interior and was overall a very good car , Infiniti added a clock and it remained a good interior. Styling didn't chance much at all, front/rear facelifts whereas the ES body inside and out was completely different to the Camry. So both were based on lesser sedans but clearly Toyota/Lexus put more effort in. (among other factors). I thought the I35 was a good car and I expressed my dismay here years ago when it was canned. It sold okay, surely if it had sold better, they probably would not have canned it. (Sales talk, RWD can sometimes run the marathon )
Originally Posted by (Cj)

Like you said it sounds like this "I35" is pretty much going to be a rebadged Maxima with available AWD.
Well with their sales down the absolute tubes, they seem to be quickly trying to find ways to improve them and maintain them. I fear at these sales levels they might not be too profitable.

I am all for an Infiniti version of the Maxima.

Originally Posted by speedflex
I was just thinking about this. Though Infiniti has tried to be purist as far as being a performance brand the reality is that the larger market doesn't really care about purism. If they want to boost sales in any significant way they have to offer something closer rto the sweet spot of the market for the more average buyer. In short, a softer FWD sedan and/or family Ute with generous comfort features and usable space. It may chew into G sales but that just allows them to push the G harder into enthusiast territory. When that happens I think they should elevate the M up into true flagship range.
Bingo. An ES/TL fighter in the I35, make the EX next go round actually have some utility while holding the price will help.

Old 01-25-10, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. FWD or RWD, Infiniti needs a TRUE flagship that can compete with the LS460. The M-series, as an LS-fighter, just doesn't cut it.....it is too small, and the ride/handling combination, especially with the Sport Package, is too stiff. The Q45 never realy succeeded as an LS-fighter because they they made it too much of a sport-sedan at first (1990), and then kept changing its character back and forth with each succeeding redesign.
Old 01-25-10, 09:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Very, very true. While the G37 is a great product I think that engine flexibility is hurting sales somewhat. A G30/25 with a greater emphasis on fuel economy would probably be a significant bump up- look at how many 328is, C300s, and IS250s are sold (even though that's not an apples to apples comparison). Also, truth be told, not everyone WANTS a 330hp sedan. You would be surprised at how many entry-level shoppers think an IS 350 or 335i is "too much car" and actually prefer the lesser variants.

The other problem is that their entry level SUV is too small for most (and also quite ugly) while their mid-grade SUV is too performance oriented and not as versatile as some others. In trying to cater to two very different segments, their SUV strategy has left open a critical void- something reasonably sized, reasonably priced, and reasonable to look at. This is where the RX is eating all of the marketshare.

They need to rethink the EX and make it larger, and probably do the same for the FX.
Old 01-25-10, 09:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. FWD or RWD, Infiniti needs a TRUE flagship that can compete with the LS460. The M-series, as an LS-fighter, just doesn't cut it.....it is too small, and the ride/handling combination, especially with the Sport Package, is too stiff.
I don't think they need that until the brand can support it (i.e. a ways off).
Old 01-25-10, 10:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I can't see why there are people who are apprehensive of FWD vehicles. Granted, we have our respective opinions......but IMHO, there are FWD vehicles out there that are becoming something not to be underestimated with.

Technology has also been improving hence alleviating concerns like torque steer esp. on vehicles with 300 hp or more. In fact, manufacturers have found ways to counter these effects (such as Ford and their 'Revoknuckle' system with LSD).

Still personally I'd prefer 4WD/AWD (here's my preference btw: 4WD/AWD>FWD>any form of rear-wheel drive).

But then again, like most consumers, it does not matter nowadays and people won't necessarily care what drivetrain their car has.

As long as it gets you from point A to point B (or where ever you wanna go), then that's all there is to it

Two cents

Quick Reply: Infiniti Considering FWD Again