Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Double Standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 07:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Double Standard

Toyota/Lexus is getting hammered for everything (Recalls) the media can get their hands on and yet you don't even hear of the catastrophic HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failures BMW has been experiencing with the 3.0 TT. It is so bad, even the 2010 models are experiencing it. That's FOUR model years! I read where one owner and the five other friends who own the TT have ALL experience a minimum of two failures each. One owner brought his in to be repaired and the loaner failed!

Koz
Old 01-25-10, 08:00 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people love to hate whats great
Old 01-25-10, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Toyota/Lexus is getting hammered for everything (Recalls) the media can get their hands on and yet you don't even hear of the catastrophic HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failures BMW has been experiencing with the 3.0 TT. It is so bad, even the 2010 models are experiencing it. That's FOUR model years! I read where one owner and the five other friends who own the TT have ALL experience a minimum of two failures each. One owner brought his in to be repaired and the loaner failed!

Koz
Thats because the HPFP havent kill anybody yet. Any one who knows BMW, knows about the HPFP problem. As far as I know, there is no fix yet. I wonder if the new single turbo engine is suppose to fix the problem.
Old 01-25-10, 08:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats because the HPFP havent kill anybody yet. Any one who knows BMW, knows about the HPFP problem. As far as I know, there is no fix yet. I wonder if the new single turbo engine is suppose to fix the problem.
Also fuel injector failures.
After warranty,those injectors are $550 ea just for the part.
Old 01-25-10, 08:46 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyota haters came out from nowhere and just will not let it go. it's toyota's fault, but it's getting outta hand.

it's hard to be #1.
Old 01-25-10, 08:56 AM
Koz

That engine also gets "Engine of The Year" awards every year!

From the movie BIG; "I Don't Get It".

Koz
Old 01-25-10, 09:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

There is 'hate' on both sides. You don't hear it as often with BMW because most people know BMWs aren't going to be as reliable as a Toyota. No one is going to read an article titled: GM interiors are cheap. Now if you switched GM with Toyota, it's going to grab attention.
Old 01-25-10, 09:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
"Catastrophic" HPFP failures....lol. Such an issue wil make one crash & burn I guess. I am on my 2nd & last 335 yet I have not become a victim of the "catastrophic" HPFP failure.. Knock on wood.
Old 01-25-10, 10:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been reading e90 posts and the number of people having hpfp failure is ridiculous, I'm having second thoughts about the 335 I got for my wife. I also saw one poster complaining of uncontrolled acceleration caused by the floor mat that his dealer failed to velcro into place (lexus provides clips which are more reliable).

In any case, the whole sudden acceleration problem is nonsense, just put the damn car in neutral and pull the floormat out. Can happen to any car. HPPF failure is far more dangerous, imagine it dying while you're being tailgated by a truck? Should this thing ever put my wife in danger, the guy from my avatar will be mounting a soviet flag onto the ruins of BMW hq
Old 01-25-10, 11:19 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
"Catastrophic" HPFP failures....lol. Such an issue wil make one crash & burn I guess. I am on my 2nd & last 335 yet I have not become a victim of the "catastrophic" HPFP failure.. Knock on wood.
Don't laugh to loud, it's only a matter of time before yours fails. I just hope the car can safely limp to the side of the road.

Koz
Old 01-25-10, 11:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Don't laugh to loud, it's only a matter of time before yours fails. I just hope the car can safely limp to the side of the road.

Koz
Ok...
Old 01-25-10, 11:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
That’s not a really very nice thing to say, wishing other member's car to fail.
The truth is, only a very small percentage of the BMW have the fuel problem and even a smaller percentage of Toyota having the sudden acceleration problem. The reason why the fuel pump is not big news is that when it fails, the car goes into limp mode and the driver can still pull over safely. When a sudden acceleration occurs, you may be 20 feet in back of a 18 wheeler doing 75 MPH on the highway and not have enough time to react and put it in neutral, that’s why the brake over ride will be a very nice additional safety feature for Lexus.
Old 01-25-10, 12:09 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason why they're critizicing them so much is cuz they're rated as one of the most reliable cars on the road.
Old 01-25-10, 01:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
3.8 million cars for the floor mats, then 2.3 million for the gas pedal--6.1 million cars recalled in a 4 month span--that's a damn lot of cars. How many BMW's were recalled?

Plus--if BMW's were affected by an unintended acceleration issue--they'd get the same amount of attention. I bet most people didn't know what an Audi was until all the unintended acceleration claims.
Old 01-25-10, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
3.8 million cars for the floor mats, then 2.3 million for the gas pedal--6.1 million cars recalled in a 4 month span--that's a damn lot of cars.
Dont forget the recall for the brake over ride software update.

Quick Reply: Double Standard