Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Diddy Buys Son $360,000 Maybach for 16th Birthday

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 07:42 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybach is like a tank. i think it's a great choice for filthy rich people.
Old 01-26-10, 07:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Pretty sure he will be chauffeured in that Maybach
That's what I would prefer too ...
Old 01-26-10, 07:51 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for him although it won't be good for him in the long run. USUALLY People who get their way early don't end up very happy later in life.
Old 01-26-10, 09:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
OP I don't see a reason for the thumbs down and the negativity,it seems you simply don't like the situation because a 16 year old gets a 6 figure car. I'll go out on a limb and say you have a problem with wealthy <insert something> people.

I guess you don't know my views yet. Hint: I'm a conservative. Which means I believe that people should make as much as they possibly can honestly and legitimately with the abilities they have. I believe that they should be able to keep most of it without being punished for their success by the government through high taxation. You may have confused me with a liberal who believes the opposite. I thought my current sig quotes might have hinted to that.

My disapproval is based in one of the more important principles of parenting. That parents shouldn't spoil the hell out of their kids because it almost never leads to anything good. Parents can spend what they want but the kid will most likely end up like a Paris Hilton type. A total snob with no understanding of reality.

But maybe his son is the exception.
Old 01-26-10, 09:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!

My disapproval is based in one of the more important principles of parenting. That parents shouldn't spoil the hell out of their kids because it almost never leads to anything good. Parents can spend what they want but the kid will most likely end up like a Paris Hilton type. A total snob with no understanding of reality.

But maybe his son is the exception.
As stated the kid also got a 10,000 check which is promply donated the full value of to the Haiti relief fund. So to question someone's full parenting skills based on the most extravagant piece of an article serves no purposes. Yes Diddy bought his kid a Maybach = shock value. The rest of the post was irrelavent and unncessary with regards to parenting.
Old 01-26-10, 09:38 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybach is way too much for a 16 year old. He shouldve spent on a different car, something that he'd enjoy more.
Old 01-26-10, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care.
Old 01-26-10, 09:53 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

People should not care what another parent spends their money on as long as it is legitimate money. Every parents has his or her own way of raising a child; just because one way works for one situation doesn't mean it will work for every. Plus responsibility is more of a brain development issue since synapses responsible for comprehending consequences are still being connected up to 25 years of age (hints why insurance decreases substantially for males). Technically he is not really spoiling if you compare to the amount of income spent on his child vs the proportion of income spent from an average income parent, it is all relative.

Last edited by darkdream; 01-26-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 09:57 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
As stated the kid also got a 10,000 check which is promply donated the full value of to the Haiti relief fund. So to question someone's full parenting skills based on the most extravagant piece of an article serves no purposes. Yes Diddy bought his kid a Maybach = shock value. The rest of the post was irrelavent and unncessary with regards to parenting.
The whole point of this thread is the parenting decision to spoil a kid with such extravagance. Of course it's relevant.
Old 01-26-10, 10:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

At least we have some car content here, the Maybach that is.
Old 01-26-10, 10:07 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
The whole point of this thread is the parenting decision to spoil a kid with such extravagance. Of course it's relevant.
Change the name of the person in the story to Buffett or Gates and would you have bothered posting it? Why do you care what Diddy buys to have his son chauffered around in?

What do you know about this kid other than a gift he received for his birthday to comment on parenting skills?

Here's the title of my next thread

KID RECEIVED $10,000 FOR HIS BIRTHDAY AND DONATES ENTIRE AMOUNT TO HAITI.

Which thread do you think reflects more on how this kid was raised?
Old 01-26-10, 10:16 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was 16 and had the choice of any car, the last one I'd want would be a Maybach. He's 16 not 61. It's hardly going to give you any street cred with your mates.
Old 01-26-10, 10:23 AM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
it's better than giving him a Koenigsegg. I'm sure FistforFast won't be happy with that.
Lol this is funny

Well im sure you didnt buy the car just for him... Diddy might of bought the car a few years back. Maybe Diddy didnt drive it that much so he just gave it to him.... In any case. lucky kid.
Old 01-26-10, 10:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

P
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Change the name of the person in the story to Buffett or Gates and would you have bothered posting it? Why do you care what Diddy buys to have his son chauffered around in?

What do you know about this kid other than a gift he received for his birthday to comment on parenting skills?

Here's the title of my next threado

KID RECEIVED $10,000 FOR HIS BIRTHDAY AND DONATES ENTIRE AMOUNT TO HAITI.

Which thread do you think reflects more on how this kid was raised?
I'm sure Sean Combs is a good father. This isn't about him. I'm just saying that when you shower a young kid with extravagant wealth before they've probably even had a job, they usually go down the wrong road. Usually they go on expecting their wealthy parents will provide them every desire they have.

This isn't specific to Diddly, I would say the same for Bill Gates.

Part of parenting is instilling the value of hard work to earn nice things.

Sorry you don't agree.

But maybe this kid is different as he did donate. That's a good sign.
Old 01-26-10, 10:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

1. I agree a maybach is a bit much for a 16 year old, even if his dad is filthy rich.

2. Since the Diddy's son's party was filmed for MTV, Diddy had to make this party and glitz and glam, getting his son the Maybach was cherry on top to show America he's got money, to let all the kids know what's up.

3. P Diddy will most likely use it for himself and share it with the family etc..etc..

4. If I had the money, I would get my kid something extravagant too, he'd have to earn it under my conditions and be at least 18 but if he very well deserved it, why not?

5. In the end, this was all a big PR stunt and it worked because it got you guys all riled up and talking about it.

Quick Reply: Diddy Buys Son $360,000 Maybach for 16th Birthday