Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Quality...? Interesting Read...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 10:34 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation Toyota Quality...? Interesting Read...

I've been the owner of 2 Lexus ES's & hold them in very high regard with being an overall satisfied owner & I definately have the 2010 ES on my short list for my next vehicle purchase in 2012.

This article however (directed more towards the Toyota brand over Lexus mind you) does bring up some fair points I feel looking back over several generations of models (I've read quite a few complaints of the interior quality in the current generation ES compared to the last one for example).

Considering that Toyota is taking it on the chin bigtime as of late, is Toyota losing (or has lost) their way...?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ham...35&PID=3765569
Old 01-26-10, 10:43 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not just Toyota, it's the entire car industry. Everybody is cutting costs and where panels used to look and feel plush and of great quality, these days just aren't anymore.

Only reason why Toyota is getting so much heat for it is because they're number 1 and when you're number 1, everybody wants a piece.
Old 01-26-10, 10:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

New EPA standards on what can go into paint and body panels has been hurting the industry as well.
Old 01-26-10, 10:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"The Truth About Cars" is not the most neutral source for news...
Old 01-26-10, 11:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
"The Truth About Cars" is not the most neutral source for news...
I agree with you...however if you read the full article it does raise a number of good & fair points (the author & family had several Toyota's over the years).
Old 01-26-10, 11:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyota is facing the same issue as some of the other comapnies except in a larger scale, aging work force, high labor cost, cost cutting and high spending. They will have to just wait out the high paid and old work force until they retire. Cost cutting wise, Toyota already cut everything to the bone, what ever else cost they cut now will be more noticable than before. High spending is a big problem, all the F cars and LFAs do not come cheap. Lastly, the high labor cost is what will evenly un-seat Toyota being #1.
Old 01-26-10, 11:31 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
It's not just Toyota, it's the entire car industry. Everybody is cutting costs and where panels used to look and feel plush and of great quality, these days just aren't anymore.

Only reason why Toyota is getting so much heat for it is because they're number 1 and when you're number 1, everybody wants a piece.
Better quality cars were had 10 years ago.. with solid craftsmanship and better interior for this example. Your right though car manufacturers are cutting corners and costs in today's vehicles. We the consumer expect that when buying expensive cars or even less expensive cars that plastic panels and lower quality metals are not taken lightly.
Old 01-26-10, 04:14 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

And as I type this....Breaking News on CNN...Toyota Halts the sales (new & used) of 8 popular models because of the accelerator pedals!...

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-26-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 04:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

“Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,” said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. “This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.”

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:

• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
• Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.

The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

###

The latest news about the sticking accelerator pedal recall:

Frequently Asked Questions for the Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall (Jan. 22, 2010)

Toyota Files Voluntary Safety Recall on Select Toyota Division Vehicles for Sticking Accelerator Pedal (Jan. 21, 2010)

The latest news about Toyota's consumer safety advisory for potential floor mat interference with the accelerator pedal in certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles:

Setting the Record Straight (Dec. 23, 2009)

A Healthy Discussion on Safety (Dec. 10, 2009)

Toyota Announces Details of Remedy to Address Potential Accelerator Pedal Entrapment (Nov. 25, 2009)

Unintended Acceleration: Toyota Addresses the Issues (Nov. 6, 2009)

Toyota's Statement Regarding NHTSA News Release (Nov. 4, 2009)

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall Related to Floor Mats (Nov. 2, 2009)

NHTSA report (Nov. 2, 2009)

Toyota owner letter (Nov. 2, 2009)

Toyota Consumer Safety Advisory: Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota/Carpeted/All-Weather Floor Mat Inspection, Application & Installation Instructions (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota Carpet Floor Mat Application Information Chart (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota All-Weather Floor Mat Quick Reference Chart (Sept. 29, 2009)

###

NOTE TO CONSUMERS: We’ve received a number of comments and questions about the floor mat issue and understand the safety concerns. We want to be responsive, but the Toyota USA Newsroom is not intended as a place for consumer complaints, or detailed information about any vehicle features, specs or capabilities. These types of concerns are best handled by our Customer Experience Center where they will be routed to the appropriate customer service representative for Toyota, Scion or Lexus. You can reach our customer service representatives by calling 1-800-331-4331. Prefer to email or chat? Simply access our website email or live chat links for Toyota, Scion or Lexus.

Credit: Toyota Motor Sales USA
Old 01-27-10, 02:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

More on the accelerator pedal recall with a Youtube video...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...nces%e2%80%9d/
Old 01-27-10, 05:49 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like toyota/lexus vehicles and trucks, but if I were to buy a new car, I'll most likely be looking elsewhere. Their quality have went downhill. Before you know it, the whole car is gonna be built out of cheap plastic.
Old 01-27-10, 06:11 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy What is going on...?

Okay, does anyone have any additional information on the accelerator pedal issue? I ask because of this article...and it mentions the 2002 - 2004+ Lexus ES 300's & 330's...

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

This whole family was killed...and he was a CHP officer.

I'm starting to get a little confused if the problem lies with the floor mat or the accelerator pedal...or both...? My gut is telling me that this recall isn't quite over yet...
Old 01-27-10, 06:42 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's the deal, Toyota is in recovery mode. Since the death of the Police Officer and family nothing that Toyota has done is acceptable to the Fed. It seems that nothing short of a total redesign and recalling every car Toyota ever made will be expectable. That is why Toyota is now in this situation (Stopping sales). Toyota knows this situation has and will get worse if they don't do anything less. They are the George Bush of the auto industry! LOL

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 01-27-10 at 09:29 AM.