Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 05:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just so you know, the study that alleges 16 deaths and 243 injuries originates in Massachusetts, you know hotbed of liberal trial lawyers. They wont hesitate to vampire this gravy train.
Old 01-28-10, 07:22 PM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone here been to a dealership looking to buy a toyota? Wondering if they're giving good prices on models they can sell, especially since it's nearing the end of the month
Old 01-28-10, 07:55 PM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sucks for Toyota. People buy them for reliability and quality - this really hurts the image they have.
Old 01-28-10, 07:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No one points this out or notices this, but in the history of time, every single car that has ever been produced has had some known and/or common defect across the board. Every enthusiast, follower, and car nut has been through this where they discuss how the previous model was built better, just like we are doing now. Then the next great model comes out, suddenly it's better in the beginning, and two years later a crop of problems pop up and everyone starts saying how the last model was built better. Repeat, repeat. You have to live long enough and know history to know what I am talking about. It's a trap we all fall for. In my opinion, today's Toyota and Lexi are just as reliable as the ones built ten years ago. It's just that these particular defects we are facing today can lead to death and horror so it's going to sound worse than all the past defects.
Old 01-28-10, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just so you know, the study that alleges 16 deaths and 243 injuries originates in Massachusetts, you know hotbed of liberal trial lawyers. They wont hesitate to vampire this gravy train.
Toyota itself, though, has a big army of corporate lawyers of its own....perhaps more than any other auto manufacturer. It could turn out to be the clash of the Titans.....two large opposing armies.
Old 01-28-10, 08:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
agreed. it's easy to blame on 'made in USA', but domestic products have improved drastically.
My Subaru was assembled in the USA.
Old 01-28-10, 08:46 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dibara2003
Anyone here been to a dealership looking to buy a toyota? Wondering if they're giving good prices on models they can sell, especially since it's nearing the end of the month
I was at the monster local Toyo dealership here in Miami tonight to pick up some parts at the parts counter. This place looks like a beehive 365 days a year. Monster volume sales, I think even #1 in the country, not sure if they hold that title anymore.

Anyway, it was a ghost town. Very strange to see. Never seen the place so desolate, so different from the humming madhouse it usually is.

I took a stroll thru the main sales floor. Salesmen literally sitting in their cubicles staring at the ceiling. Hope they can start selling quick.
Old 01-28-10, 09:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it interesting that the Camry and Highlander were recalled, but not the Venza.
Old 01-28-10, 09:33 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I find it interesting that the Camry and Highlander were recalled, but not the Venza.
Venza was added later on saw something on Autoblog

Originally Posted by Detroit News
* 2008-2010 Highlander
* 2009-2010 Corolla
* 2009-2010 Venza
* 2009-2010 Matrix
* 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe
Old 01-29-10, 03:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
every news channel i watched talked about toyota and it's massive recalls. the media is abusing toyota right now.

my prediction is that toyota will no longer be #1 seller in america this year. i think both chevy and ford will outsell toyota. most likely, accord and civic will outsell camry and corolla. and the biggest threat of toyota, Hyundai will have another tremendous year because of all new sonata, elantra, and tucson.
our local media here had several great articles (eastern europe) - things like: gas pedal recall for 8 million vehicles, gas pedal sticking has caused over 200 accidents with over 100 deaths, etc.
Old 01-29-10, 03:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/28/d...-back-in-2004/

From the "This story just keeps getting uglier" department comes a new bit of information concerning Toyota and its growing sticky pedal problem. The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Toyota and the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration were looking into the problem back in 2004, but an interesting twist led the investigation down a path that ultimately turned up nothing.

The Freep says that this early investigation was strictly limited to incidents of unintended acceleration lasting one second or less, which strikes us as odd considering prolonged periods unintended acceleration are a lot more dangerous than a blip of the throttle. And this is where the story gets a bit tricky. The Freep reports that a 2008 lawsuit stemming from an alleged unintended acceleration-related death of a woman driving a 2005 Camry says that the decision was made to limit the investigation right after a former NHTSA employee, Christopher Santucci, took a job with Toyota.

The lawsuit alleges that the new Toyota employee negotiated a deal with his former coworkers at NHTSA to limit the investigation of unintended acceleration claims to instances of one second or less. Santucci said in a deposition that the NHTSA investigation involved 2002 and 2003 Toyota Camry, Solaras and Lexus ES300 models. NHTSA had reportedly received 139 complaints in the 2004 investigation, but found no defects.

Now that Toyota has officially recalled millions of vehicles, the question remains whether these older models will eventually be recalled as well. The short answer is that we have no idea, but former NHTSA head Joan Claybrook feels that the government safety agency should have taken unintended acceleration claims more seriously in the past.
CTS became supplier for Toyota in 2005 ;-).
Old 01-29-10, 04:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am well aware of the issues on older Toyota engines like the MZ and ZZ. With their new engine designs Toyota has improved reliability and defects, but problems still remain.

The oil hose VVT-i problems on the GR engines are becoming more common. Internally in the company, Toyota is not satisfied with the reliability of the oil-driven VVT-i system. That is why Toyota is moving eventually to completely electric valve timing and lift. Toyota already has electric valve lift with Valvematic, and they have electric VVT-i on the intake side with VVT-iE in some of the Lexus engines.

When Toyota combines Dual VVT-iE with Valvematic, many of the remaining engine problems should dissapear. Toyota must focus right now their resources on making sure Valvematic and Dual VVT-iE are very reliable.

Did you read the big long article I posted? It clearly shows some of the decisions Toyota took 6-7 years ago that are now backfiring on them.

The decisions I am talking about include accelerating the release of new models, basically rushing out new models too quickly, and relying too much on computer simulation. These decisions are separate from the engine issues from the 90s. These decisions were first made 6-7 years ago.

Only 2-3 years ago did Toyota realize the quality problems that were happening from quick model releases and heavy reliance on computer simulations. That is why all future Toyota model releases take a bit longer, and they are back to relying on lots and lots of physical prototypes for testing.
I am saying Toyota had much bigger quality issues decade ago and nobody cared about them. Watanabe actually improved the quality when he stepped up in 2005, one of his major concerns was exploding Warranty costs, which were at highest for Toyota in 2004. At they were reduced substantially in following years.

Valvematic is a lot more complicated than VVTi. Not sure why you think it is going to be more reliable. Nevertheless, there are no known issues with Valvematic and Toyota started sales of Valvematic in Japan 2 years before introducing them in Europe. Thats Watanabe's work too.

And currently there is no single Toyota/Lexus engine with major issues unlike for the past decade. Keep in mind that at its worst, Toyota had 1 billion less warranty costs than Ford and 2 Billion less than GM ;-). And even with MZ, ZZ and AD series engines being problematic at one point of their history, Toyota has remained at the top or near the top of all reliability surveys made accross the world (which shows a lot more about other companies).
Old 01-29-10, 04:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Venza was added later on saw something on Autoblog
keep in mind that Venza does not have pedal issue... it was recalled for mats, so they are still selling them.
Old 01-29-10, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
one good thing for both Toyota and customers that had accidents due to gas pedal worn issue is that investigators will be able to prove it. As the issue is due to worn out parts, it is reproducible, evidence does not dissapear.

lawyers will have better luck with mats, as they are much harder to prove after the accident. They could return to their place or anything due to the accident. On the other hand, worn assembly will not become un-worn because of the accident.
Old 01-29-10, 04:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well another local article now claims that Prius and Lexus owners will be called to checkup their cars due to the issues....

.... I wonder how did they write that article - did they pick up only cars not affected by the recall? lol... feel bad for dealers in the usa.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water