Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 04:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I find it interesting that the Camry and Highlander were recalled, but not the Venza.
Venza was added to the recall on Wednesday.
Old 01-29-10, 06:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Toyota European service centers got notifications today to take any complaint seriously, and inspect gas pedals for slowly returning gas pedal or pedals getting stuck. Apperantly there has been no reported case in Europe so dealers need to write FTR (Field Technical Report) and send it in immediatly because TME (Toyota Motor Europe) needs to reproduce the issue.

Sales centers got same PR that Toyota UK issued.
Old 01-29-10, 06:10 AM
LexFather

Well as I stated before it they didn't nip it in the bud, the snowball would roll and become unstoppable. That is what is now happening.

This is also what happens when you have a government that owns car companies. Seems the Toyota lobbyists the American companies complained about not to long ago are powerless.

Also the government simply gave a terrible example with bailouts. No one is at fault for anything and no one gets punished and people feel they are owed something.

Everyone is digging, digging, digging. They want to see Toyota fall. Toyota is bad for America. Its boring, bland and this is great news for people that never liked the brand in the first place.

I hope whatever the problem is, it is fixed. I hope Toyota's leadership can find a way to turn this into a positive.

However with car sales already down and dealers already selling in less volume, this hurts their relationship.

I just see a bunch of opportunists here sadly.

Old 01-29-10, 06:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Toyota to face the music with the U.S. government

U.S. House Committee Plans Hearing on Toyota Recall Permalink By MICHELINE MAYNARD
Published: January 28, 2010
DETROIT — Toyota faced heightened scrutiny on Thursday over problems with the accelerator pedals on its vehicles, as a House committee scheduled Congressional hearings into the matter and its recalls expanded to Europe and China.
More here..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/bu.../29toyota.html
Old 01-29-10, 06:24 AM
LexFather

^^^ lol, they must have seen my recent post....govn't can't wait to nail someone to make themselves look good.

Old 01-29-10, 06:36 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it rains, it pours...
Old 01-29-10, 06:40 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
agreed. it's easy to blame on 'made in USA', but domestic products have improved drastically.
I'll stand behind our Aircraft any day vs Foreign Aircraft
Old 01-29-10, 07:07 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill take a sticking accerator pedal then the FIRE cruise control switches that got recalled on 16 million ford vehicles. Atleast I can turn the toyota off and not burn to death.

Last edited by Rippaflow; 01-29-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 07:20 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
One problem I find with all of this reporting in the news is they keep saying these cars are subject to unintended 'acceleration'. If you take your foot off the pedal and the throttle sticks the car won't accelerate, it just keeps going at the same speed. It may be a small point to the public but in real world conditions it makes a big difference. I know the media is damn poor in the science department but can't they at least get the terminology straight? If a lawyer goes into a courtroom and claims an 'acceleration' problem the case would be open for a mighty big defense arguement. Or does no one care?
I dont know if this has been addressed. But if you are at 75% throttle, you are accellerating. If you let off the peddle, and the throttle is stuck at 75%, you are accellerating unintentionally.
Old 01-29-10, 07:25 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Well on the bright side, the next couple of months may be a great time to pick up a used toyota.

Last week, my friend looked at an 07 highlander. The Saturn dealer wouldnt budge on their 17900 price tag. I wonder how they feel now.

--- Haha ----
I checked their price online, its now $16900. Also they are now a used car dealer and no longer a Saturn dealer. Lots changed in a week.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-29-10 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 08:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Watch them hammer Toyota exec's for showing up at the hearings in a corporate jet...
Old 01-29-10, 08:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
One problem I find with all of this reporting in the news is they keep saying these cars are subject to unintended 'acceleration'. If you take your foot off the pedal and the throttle sticks the car won't accelerate, it just keeps going at the same speed. It may be a small point to the public but in real world conditions it makes a big difference. I know the media is damn poor in the science department but can't they at least get the terminology straight? If a lawyer goes into a courtroom and claims an 'acceleration' problem the case would be open for a mighty big defense arguement. Or does no one care?
Would you have everyone call it unintended "going"? Unintended "cruising"? It's not intended to be a physics lesson, just a description of a potentially dangerous situation.
Old 01-29-10, 09:19 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Watch them hammer Toyota exec's for showing up at the hearings in a corporate jet...
They should roll up in an Avalon just to show us how safe the cars in question are to drive.
Old 01-29-10, 09:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
And your point? I think you're confusing them for GM or Chrysler. Toyota does not have any ownership by the Japanese or American government. So what if they fly in their own corporate jet? They can if they want to.
Old 01-29-10, 10:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35143209/ns/business-autos/

DETROIT - Toyota Motor Corp. said Friday it will begin telling millions of customers how it will repair their sticky gas pedal systems next week, and repairs will be finished in less than a month.

Company spokesman Brian Lyons said he can't state specifically when repairs will begin. But he said the automaker is moving quickly to correct the problem that affects about 4.2 million vehicles in the U.S., Europe and China.

A company e-mail to employees sent Thursday night said Toyota presented a remedy to federal regulators on Thursday and that employees would get details on Friday.

Toyota said its engineers are working around the clock to fix the problem in eight of its U.S. models, including the top-selling Camry midsize sedan. Toyota says cases of sticking gas pedals are rare.

Earlier this week Toyota halted sales and production of the models. It has recalled cars and trucks in the U.S., Europe and China because of the problem.

Toyota said Friday the recall over the gas pedals in Europe may affect up to 1.8 million cars, including the small Yaris — its biggest seller in the region. The recall will also include the Corolla, Aygo, iQ, Auris, Verso, Avensis and the RAV4 sports utility vehicle.

Meanwhile, the U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is launching an investigation into the problems with Toyota's accelerator pedal systems. It has scheduled a Feb. 4 hearing entitled, "Toyota Gas Pedals: Is the Public at Risk?"

"There appears to be growing public confusion regarding which vehicles may be affected and how people should respond. In short, the public is unsure as to what exactly the problem is, whether it is safe to drive their cars, or what they should do about it," wrote Chairman Edolphus Towns, D-N.Y., in a letter Thursday to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

Separately, a House investigative panel is planning a Feb. 25 hearing on the Toyota recalls. In a letter to NHTSA administrator David Strickland, lawmakers requested a timeline from January 2000 until the present for NHTSA's investigations into Toyota defects and other data related to reports of sudden acceleration.
WD-40, perhaps?

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water