Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10 | 03:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Consider, though, that it's not just Toyota stock at risk, but also that of Toyota's supplers...the companies that produce the stampings, electronics, fabric, rubber, hardware, etc... for the carpet-mats, throttle sssembles, pedals, etc...... They are likely to also take a hit.....at least those who offer publicly-traded shares.
Yes, hopefully they have good strong business models that involve supplying more than 1 customer. The 10% stock price comment still applies.
Old 01-29-10 | 03:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

this might drive more people to #2- honda.

this is good news for honda.
Old 01-29-10 | 06:58 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
Toyota does have deep pockets. Toyota's cash alone ending March 31, 2009 was $25,343,000,000. That's just cash alone and does not include short term investments, receivables, other current assets, etc...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=TM&annual

How much it hurts depends on how this is handled going forward, GM was once in a similar financial situation and we know how that turned out, being number 1 is not always the best place to be.
Old 01-29-10 | 06:58 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/29/v...y-accelerator/

Video: In-depth look at Toyota's sticky accelerator
Old 01-29-10 | 07:00 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.freep.com/article/2010012...-Toyota-recall

GM, Ford seize on Toyota recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/29/h...-from-ford-gm/

Hyundai matches incentives for Toyota customers from Ford, GM
Old 01-30-10 | 06:02 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I wonder what sort of Manufacturing build seq. software they use to build each car. If they keep lists of vins and rework items.If they can go into each car's build sequence that has had an issue and see if anything one-off has happened.
Old 01-30-10 | 07:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Toyoda-san

In his first public comment on the massive recall surrounding Toyota, President and CEO Akio Toyoda apologized to his customers for causing them so much worry.

“I am deeply sorry,”
said Toyoda in a brief interview with the Japanese network NHK. Toyoda was seen leaving the interview in a black Audi.

“Truly we think of our customers as a priority and we guarantee their safety,” Toyoda said. He said that he could not answer questions about the recall because the company “was still investigating” the issue.

According to Toyota’s supplier CTS, the companies are awaiting a federal government approval of a redesigned accelerator pedal that is currently being developed.

The recall is now estimated to involve at least nine million cars and trucks.

Old 01-30-10 | 07:34 AM
LexFather

Its amazing to see so many people in this thread that don't really like Toyota/Lexus provide us with all this news. When their favorite brand has issues, they don't start threads or post news about them.

Again, this is a great opportunity for people that don't like the brand(s).

Carry on. They will come out better for this.
Old 01-30-10 | 07:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing to see so many people in this thread that don't really like Toyota/Lexus provide us with all this news. When their favorite brand has issues, they don't start threads or post news about them.

Carry on. They will come out better for this.
This is nothing.You should read some of the GM and Corvette forums.
The Toyota fiasco is better than sex to these guys.
Old 01-30-10 | 07:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
This is nothing.You should read some of the GM and Corvette forums.
The Toyota fiasco is better than sex to these guys.
hahahahahahha.

Old 01-30-10 | 07:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

hahahahahahha.

www.bobistheoilguy.com also has Toyota haters in the Auto General Topic forum.
I love seeing how much Toyota bugs all the haters.
Old 01-30-10 | 09:59 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I am glad Toyota is having problems with there vehicles, they kind of deserve it after falling out of touch with the average Toyota consumer. All of Toyota's problems started mostly back in 2007 with the disaster of a Tundra (camshaft failures + and LOL bed bounce), the Camry utterly cheap interior, spray painted Sequoia dash board, missed opportunity with iDrive like control (now they are offering an alternative), productions plants that sit idle or are not used...Lexus brand that is "self conscious", upcoming LFA which Toyota will lose money on.....etc, etc, etc..

Oh, and few weeks ago Toyota was talking about cost cutting....all this cost cutting won't matter as they have to fix these pedals which off-set the cost cutting.

I have an LS430 which is far an above the Lexus stuff that is out there now, also my Tundra was built back in 2003 and is holding up strong....I will be staying away from Lexus or Toyota for a while now.
Old 01-30-10 | 10:16 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

i'm not going to name any names, but this is true
Old 01-30-10 | 10:23 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am glad Toyota is having problems with there vehicles, they kind of deserve it after falling out of touch with the average Toyota consumer. All of Toyota's problems started mostly back in 2007 with the disaster of a Tundra (camshaft failures + and LOL bed bounce), the Camry utterly cheap interior, spray painted Sequoia dash board, missed opportunity with iDrive like control (now they are offering an alternative), productions plants that sit idle or are not used...Lexus brand that is "self conscious", upcoming LFA which Toyota will lose money on.....etc, etc, etc..

Oh, and few weeks ago Toyota was talking about cost cutting....all this cost cutting won't matter as they have to fix these pedals which off-set the cost cutting.

I have an LS430 which is far an above the Lexus stuff that is out there now, also my Tundra was built back in 2003 and is holding up strong....I will be staying away from Lexus or Toyota for a while now.
Why do you still have a "Toyota" avatar?

You are free to buy something else that won't last as long.
Old 01-30-10 | 10:32 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Why do you still have a "Toyota" avatar?
I am still a Toyota fan. Let's get this straight, Toyota still has some great products....more so of the world market brands than that of the North American specific. Its just that there latest decisions have caught up with them

You are free to buy something else that won't last as long
I think I am going to have to take a serious look at other cars the next time around. I am not so sure I want to take the risk of having my next Toyota or Lexus runaway on me without being able to stop it....The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is looking pretty damn good right now to me

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-30-10 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water