Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 10:48 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a nightmare year for Toyota. I expect toyota to suffer and will no longer hold #1 title in America. Things will get interesting.

I used to love toyota. But their current offerings don't do anything for me. and I view Toyota and Lexus differently. toyota is toyota, lexus is lexus IMO.
Old 01-30-10, 10:50 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
this might drive more people to #2- honda.

this is good news for honda.

I agree. Usually Japanese brand buyers stick to Japanese brands. If they jump ship, they will jump to Honda or Nissan. But i don't see many japanese buyers jumping over to Ford or Chevy yet.
Old 01-30-10, 10:52 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Sorry, I am not convinced by this story what so ever.

but that's what will happen whenever there is an accident. it's another nightmare scenario. they can just blame on unintended acceleration.
Old 01-30-10, 11:01 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/30/c...ives-to-toyot/

Chrysler jumps on bandwagon, offers incentives to Toyota customers

I would rather die by unintended acceleration than caught in Chrysler.
Old 01-30-10, 11:07 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am still a Toyota fan. Let's get this straight, Toyota still has some great products....more so of the world market brands than that of the North American specific. Its just that there latest decisions have caught up with them

I think I am going to have to take a serious look at other cars the next time around. I am not so sure I want to take the risk of having my next Toyota or Lexus runaway on me without being able to stop it....The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is looking pretty damn good right now to me
Heck my parents have bought nothing but Toyota's...Even in their homeland and to this day....

I agree with your statements posted, it seems that if anyone here sometimes raises an eye at Toyota you'll be found on the otherside...
But as I stated before, beginning in 04 Toyota's operations changed drastically.

Last edited by lexusscturbo; 01-30-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 11:45 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i still dont understand why the PR machines at Toyota has came out to try to spin this a bit better...
Old 01-30-10, 12:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

Toyota president 'sorry to have made customers uneasy'

Davos, Switzerland (CNN) -- Toyota's president apologized Friday for the gas pedal problems that have forced the recall of millions of vehicles in the United States and Europe, Japanese media reported.

It was Akio Toyoda's first remarks since the latest round of recalls began last week.

"We're extremely sorry to have made customers uneasy," he told Japanese news agency NHK. "We plan to establish the facts and give an explanation that will take away the customers' concern as soon as possible."

The recall is to correct a problem that, under certain circumstances, could cause the gas pedal, as it becomes worn, to stick partway down. Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles in the United States for the problem this week, although no repair procedure has been put in place.

A Toyota spokesman said that the carmaker is close to announcing a solution for cars in the United States. The company would still need to get regulatory approval for any proposed repair in the United States and in Europe before a fix could be made.

The European recall involves eight models, several of them not sold in the United States. The number of vehicles involved in that recall is under investigation, but could reach 1.8 million, Toyota said in a statement.

The recall is separate from one begun in November to fix a problem in which the gas pedal can catch on the edge of the removable floormat.

The floormat recall was recently expanded to cover 5.3 million vehicles.

In many cases, the same vehicles are involved in both recalls. It was not clear how many different vehicles, in total, are part of both actions.
Video: Toyota's impact on Japan
Video: Toyota recalls in China

When it came to capturing U.S. market share, Toyota Motor had its pedal to the metal for years. But the gas pedal problems could throw its sales into reverse.

The halt of sales and production of the company's most popular U.S. models will cause this month's sales to tumble 12 percent compared to January 2009, according to a forecast from sales tracker Edmunds.com.

Michelle Krebbs, senior analyst for Edmunds.com, said that, if not for this week's problems, Toyota's sales would have been up at least slightly for the month.

The expected drop could send Toyota's market share below 15 percent, which would be its lowest level in nearly four years.

Most of Toyota's rivals are expected to post higher sales compared to a year ago. Ford Motor, which last year reported its first market share gain in the United States since 1995, is expected to pass Toyota in market share in January, according to Edmunds.com.

Ford has joined General Motors and other automakers trying to capitalize on Toyota's problems, offering $1,000 to buyers who trade in Toyotas when purchasing a new car.

That could be a big problem for Toyota.

"People buy Toyotas for their bullet-proof reliability," said Krebbs. "That was their main selling point, and that's taken a huge hit."

Even after Toyota fixes the gas pedal problems, it is likely to have trouble regaining share, some say. A loss in market share this year would be Toyota's first since 1994.

"This is a game changer for Toyota," said Art Spinella, head of CNW Market Research. "They have some serious, serious work to do to repair the damage done to their image."

Spinella said Toyota was already vulnerable. His firm's consumer survey from mid-January showed Toyota had fallen from its long-held position of first or second in quality estimates to seventh among potential buyers. Apparently, recalls that began late last year are having an impact.

"This was just the latest recall problem for Toyota," said Spinella. "Word of mouth is the key for all of this, and always has been. And it's much tougher to move back up the list than to fall down."

Toyota spokeswoman Sona Iliffe-Moon said the company won't comment about any potential hit to sales or market share before its scheduled release of January sales on February 2.

"Clearly there will be a sales impact with the stopped sales," she said. "Really, right now our focus is working on a remedy."
Old 01-30-10, 02:33 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing to see so many people in this thread that don't really like Toyota/Lexus provide us with all this news. When their favorite brand has issues, they don't start threads or post news about them.

Again, this is a great opportunity for people that don't like the brand(s).

Carry on. They will come out better for this.
amazing you have the audacity to even continuing posting here about this problem. You're delusional point of this being an "idiot issue" made you look like a fool enough, you'd think you'd just run as far away as possible from this one.
Old 01-30-10, 07:14 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

My Dad and I were talking today about this (my wife and I own an '07 Camry SE V6). Do you guys think this will hurt Lexus sales? Will it be easier to buy a Lexus now?
Old 01-30-10, 07:35 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
I would rather die by unintended acceleration than caught in Chrysler.
LMAO!!!! me too!!
Old 01-30-10, 07:45 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The irony being that once you die you may be in one of these

Old 01-30-10, 08:28 PM
RsSharKy
Rookie

i think some Lexus probably will get recalled soon
RX350 and ES350 are being built in USA / Canada, right?
while reading Edmunds.com's news

"At the core of the issue is a throttle (gas) pedal mechanism that is installed in some Toyota vehicles (as well as the Pontiac Vibe) which could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly or not return to idle when the driver releases the gas pedal."

I did experienced "not return to idle when release gas pedal" on my IS250.
maybe i should check in with dealer soon also.....
Old 01-30-10, 09:19 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSharKy
i think some Lexus probably will get recalled soon
RX350 and ES350 are being built in USA / Canada, right?
while reading Edmunds.com's news

"At the core of the issue is a throttle (gas) pedal mechanism that is installed in some Toyota vehicles (as well as the Pontiac Vibe) which could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly or not return to idle when the driver releases the gas pedal."

I did experienced "not return to idle when release gas pedal" on my IS250.
maybe i should check in with dealer soon also.....
Edmunds gets it wrong, again. The potential is for the pedal to return slowly to it's idle position, or at worst to remain in the position set by the foot. A car going at a constant speed has ZERO acceleration, this point seems totally lost on the mainstream media, and even in some car publications that should know what acceleration means. Nowhere in this matter have I seen any claim or complaint that a cars speed will increase by this sticky pedal situation. This thing is a debacle caused by a halting response by Toyota to the public, and a media that is frothing at the mouth at the possibility of the worlds most successful car maker cutting safety corners. This is no big deal.

No Lexus vehicle is included in this recall, so what do you expect your Lexus dealer to do for you?
Old 01-30-10, 09:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I heard on the radio tonight that it is costing Toyota $2.5 billion dollars a day right now with out those 8 models being allowed for sale.
Old 01-30-10, 10:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by roushracin
My Dad and I were talking today about this (my wife and I own an '07 Camry SE V6). Do you guys think this will hurt Lexus sales? Will it be easier to buy a Lexus now?
Nope why should it? Lexus is not involved in the recall. If anything it may boost Lexus sales.

Read here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-of-sales.html

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water