Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 10:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSharKy
i think some Lexus probably will get recalled soon
RX350 and ES350 are being built in USA / Canada, right?
while reading Edmunds.com's news
Incorrect. RX350 is the only Lexus built outside of Japan. The RX is manufactured at the Cambridge Ontario Canada plant as well as in Japan. The ES350 is solely built in Japan. The recall only involves specific North American built Toyota models ONLY.

Please read this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-of-sales.html
Old 01-31-10, 12:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/30/c...ives-to-toyot/

Chrysler jumps on bandwagon, offers incentives to Toyota customers

I would rather die by unintended acceleration than caught in Chrysler.
I'll never buy or drive anything Government Motors - I'd rather be caught dead in a VW, Volga, Lada or Trabant.

A couple nights ago, I looked at the accelerator pedal assemblies on our Sienna and Prius. Despite the geographic differences AND a 5 year age gap, the gas pedals appeared to be Denso parts, with some differences. My parents definitely slept better.
Old 01-31-10, 11:03 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
I'll never buy or drive anything Government Motors - I'd rather be caught dead in a VW, Volga, Lada or Trabant.

A couple nights ago, I looked at the accelerator pedal assemblies on our Sienna and Prius. Despite the geographic differences AND a 5 year age gap, the gas pedals appeared to be Denso parts, with some differences. My parents definitely slept better.
you might as well pick up a gm... since we are already paying for them
Old 01-31-10, 11:06 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Edmunds gets it wrong, again. The potential is for the pedal to return slowly to it's idle position, or at worst to remain in the position set by the foot. A car going at a constant speed has ZERO acceleration, this point seems totally lost on the mainstream media, and even in some car publications that should know what acceleration means. Nowhere in this matter have I seen any claim or complaint that a cars speed will increase by this sticky pedal situation. This thing is a debacle caused by a halting response by Toyota to the public, and a media that is frothing at the mouth at the possibility of the worlds most successful car maker cutting safety corners. This is no big deal.

No Lexus vehicle is included in this recall, so what do you expect your Lexus dealer to do for you?
If push the gas peddle more than 15-25%, you are usually accelerating. if, your peddle is stuck in that position... you are accelerating.

The magazines and articles have that correct
Old 01-31-10, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It depends on the car's speed with respect to time. If you're at a standstill and you have the throttle at 25%, then your car will be accelerating. However once you get the speed you're suppose to be going, then the car is no longer accelerating..just cruising. It can be a problem if you want to stop, but the pedal no longer returns to the idle position.
Old 01-31-10, 11:23 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
It depends on the car's speed with respect to time. If you're at a standstill and you have the throttle at 25%, then your car will be accelerating. However once you get the speed you're suppose to be going, then the car is no longer accelerating..just cruising. It can be a problem if you want to stop, but the pedal no longer returns to the idle position.
25% throttle just to cruise? Maybe in an odessy. I havent owned an AT other than my IS in the last 12 years.

In the IS, 25% throttle may be cruising at 100MPH.
Old 01-31-10, 11:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No, 25% is just an arbitrary number. The point is your car is not accelerating if you've already hit the targeted speed. If the pedal is stuck half way and stays that way, the car isn't going to automatically jump to 100% throttle. If your pedal gets stuck at 50% throttle in 1st gear, then yes it'll accelerate through all the gears and you'll eventually land yourself in a triple digit speed zone. But not every sticky pedal is like this. Some could stick when you're only traveling 40mph already in the last gear. In these cases, you're not accelerating..you're just stuck at that position.
Old 01-31-10, 12:09 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
No, 25% is just an arbitrary number. The point is your car is not accelerating if you've already hit the targeted speed. If the pedal is stuck half way and stays that way, the car isn't going to automatically jump to 100% throttle. If your pedal gets stuck at 50% throttle in 1st gear, then yes it'll accelerate through all the gears and you'll eventually land yourself in a triple digit speed zone. But not every sticky pedal is like this. Some could stick when you're only traveling 40mph already in the last gear. In these cases, you're not accelerating..you're just stuck at that position.
If the the throttle is stuck while you are accellerating, then you will continue to accelerate. Hence the more dangerous, unintended acceleration.

The articles are written correctly when they cite unintended acceleration.
Old 01-31-10, 12:19 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Toyota can have a zillion dollars in the bank. Money alone is not going to change public perception of the product.
I agree with 1,000%. All the money in the whole entire world isn't going to solve anyone's problem.

Toyota is rectifiying the problem. Toyota will get the job done...
Old 01-31-10, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Spoke to a friend from the dealership today....her pops is looking for a new Prius. Longtime Toyota/Lexus owner and the recalls haven't scared them off.

I think most will be like that.

Old 01-31-10, 12:36 PM
LexFather

Since the Govt cleared the Toyota fix....lets go here to talk.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...pedal-fix.html