Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 05:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's possible that other recalls from other mfrs. may follow, but so far the other Japanese makes have denied any link (from the USA Today article I linked to above):

Honda's U.S. spokesman Kurt Antonius said that the pedal assemblies Honda buys from CTS are a different design. He said that CTS is obliged to inform other automakers who bought pedals similar to the Toyota design, "and they haven't notified us." He added: "We have no customer complaints. We have examined the pedals. It doesn't appear to be a problem for us."

Nissan spokesman Scott Vazin said "our designs are different" for the CTS assemblies. Throttle-pedal systems used on Nissan and Infiniti vehicles are linked to a feature than will "recognize when both the brake and accelerator are depressed and automatically reduce engine power," he says. That makes it easier for a panicked driver to stop a runaway car.

Mitsubishi spokesman Maurice Durand said CTS builds the pedal assembly to Mitsubishi specifications, which the automaker believes are different from Toyota's. Mitsubishi has no reports of sticking throttles, he says.
Old 01-26-10, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
It's possible that other recalls from other mfrs. may follow, but so far the other Japanese makes have denied any link (from the USA Today article I linked to above):
i would not want to be in their skins right now ;-)
Old 01-26-10, 06:08 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Update

*UPDATE: Toyota has confirmed for us that the Camry Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid are not included in the sales suspension. Toyota has also reiterated that no Lexus or Scion models are included as these cars are built in Japan.
Old 01-26-10, 06:10 PM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They deserve what they get for expanding too fast in the name of profit. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Toyota.
Old 01-26-10, 06:20 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

The fertilizer has apparently hit the air conditioner in Toyota City...
Old 01-26-10, 07:06 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that Akio Toyoda's got a mess from Watanabe to clean up.

Also, CTS is based in America - and I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit uses their parts instead of GM and Ford's usual sources(Delphi and Visteon).
Old 01-26-10, 07:38 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I read in Automotive News that this recall applies to North America built cars only, Pontiac Vibe included.
Old 01-26-10, 07:50 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
A stop-sale order is as bad as it gets. Toyota's fall from grace has been nothing short of epic. Absolutely horrendous.
Yeah you are right. Epic is the exact word.....

I don't think I have ever seen something like this. Ever!
Old 01-26-10, 07:55 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Wow, this is a giant fiasco.
Old 01-26-10, 08:00 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Holy drama batman.
You said it
Old 01-26-10, 08:09 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
What do you do when the manufacturer says all your models that make your money CANNOT BE SOLD? Dealerships will suffer families of salesmen will suffer, this is very bad for "PEOPLE", screw the repercussions to Toyota. The PEOPLE are suffering, dealership owners, employees, families.
People lives are at stake here and all you care about is making a few bucks.

I totally agree with what Toyota is doing.
Old 01-26-10, 08:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only vehicles manufactured in North America are affected, right?

Seems like that's how it's distinguished...
Old 01-26-10, 08:14 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to believe that Toyota is the ONLY manufacturer to use this design from this particular manufacturer. Or is Toyota taking the hit on these issues because they are the biggest (politically driven)? There will be more fallout in the days ahead. Toyota takes the blame although the fault lies with their supplier. We don't know if the design was bad (Toyota bad), or the execution done poorly during manufacturing (CTS bad). Let's not get our shorts in a bunch until we know exactly what the issue is here and who is affected. Those that are shocked that this is happening to Toyota can certainly go buy a Pontiac, Saturn, or Saab, or maybe a Chrysler product if they are more comfortable. I still put my money in the integrity of the Toyota family rather than the other brands. You pays your money and you takes your choice. So make your own decision.
Old 01-26-10, 08:17 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

The way this has drug on and on it's playing out like a political scandal.
Old 01-26-10, 08:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
A stop-sale order is as bad as it gets. Toyota's fall from grace has been nothing short of epic. Absolutely horrendous.

I'm not sure what my next car will be, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a Toyota.
That's too bad. Because whatever other make you choose will still have more problems than Toyota. Toyota still builds the most reliable car. I'm tired of this overreaction suggesting that Toyota has lost their way. It's only grabbing such attention because it effects safety which I'm not attempting to downplay but really all it is is a mechanical part that MAY make the pedal stick. How does this translate into Toyota no longer building good cars?

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yeah you are right. Epic is the exact word.....

I don't think I have ever seen something like this. Ever!
There's a million recall examples that have been far worse than this.

Originally Posted by MD350
I read in Automotive News that this recall applies to North America built cars only, Pontiac Vibe included.
It's sad to say that Toyota's biggest weakness is its North American operations. That's why many people will only buy Toyota's built in Japan.

The Yaris is built in Japan and is perhaps the most trouble free car to ever exist.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water