Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 08:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fault lies with their supplier.
The fault lies at Toyota, plan and simple. The supplier designs and/or makes the parts for Toyota who approves them for use in their automobiles.
Old 01-26-10, 08:21 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YARIS!
That's why many people will only buy Toyota's built in Japan.

The Yaris is built in Japan and is perhaps the most trouble free car to ever exist.
My Indiana built Tundra has been more reliable and problem free than my Lexus LS...and the Tundra has 3X the miles right now
Old 01-26-10, 08:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

8 models is a big deal. I am sure the car sales people are freaking out.
Old 01-26-10, 09:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Perhaps Toyota needs to address using suppliers based outside of Japan and keep quality control under a tight reign. This entire issue will make a negative impact on sales.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-26-10 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

anything personal please bring it to pm
Old 01-26-10, 10:23 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Perhaps Toyota needs to address using suppliers based outside of Japan and keep quality control under a tight reign. This entire issue will make a negative impact on sales.
That's not the answer. That would only drive up prices for the consumers. That would also make Toyota even more vulnerable and susceptible to the Exchange rates and value of the yen. Importing more raw materials to Japan for parts and then exporting and shipping all these parts to all their overseas manufacturing facilites does not make sense.

Tighter quality control does seem to be needed.
Old 01-26-10, 10:33 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not cool...
Old 01-26-10, 10:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are suppliers outside of Japan that can manufacture to Toyota spec - heck, Toyota is buying from companies that supply GM, Ford, Mopar, VW, BMW, and Mercedes. The fault here is 2 fold - CST providing the faulty part, and Toyota using Detroit-style cost cutting.
Old 01-26-10, 10:44 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm going to go to a Toyota dealership tmr and say i want to buy all the toyotas on the lot .... let see what they say
Old 01-27-10, 12:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if I sign a waiver, will they will sell me an affected car with a huge discount
Old 01-27-10, 12:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is a really serious problem, wow I did not expect this.

Even if this is not Toyota's fault, but the supplier's fault, I expect some heads to roll at Toyota Japan.

This is not good. Toyota needs to implement more stringent quality control with all of it's suppliers, and increase the bar for quality of it's parts.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The fault lies at Toyota, plan and simple. The supplier designs and/or makes the parts for Toyota who approves them for use in their automobiles.
Suppliers can make mistakes and incorrectly manufacture designs. This is what happened with some of the Tundras Toyota recalled due to rust problems. It was Dana's fault in that recall, not Toyota's. Dana did not properly apply anti-corrosion protection to some of those frames.

If a supplier cannot correctly manufacture or make a part based on Toyota's exact specifications, that is a supplier problem plain and simple.

Unfortunately, because of Toyota's corporate culture, they will usually take the blame even when it is the supplier's fault.
Old 01-27-10, 01:09 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes they will take the blame, given that the car has Toyota's brand name on it. However, as others have noted, defective parts from a supplier should not have escaped Toyota's scrutiny. I agree that the 'awards' Toyota, Honda, and others have given CTS are now looking very silly. That this pedal design should exhibit premature wear and even jamming shows a lack of quality control, and inadequate aging tests.

There is also the issue of supplier cost controls, and Toyota's constant drive to lower costs. Could they have directly or inadvertently forced CTS to cut corners, producing pedals that don't hold up as well over time? That is also a serious question that needs to be asked. For a part component as fundamental as the accelerator pedal being defective is absolutely unthinkable. Heads definitely should roll if there are key culprits in this pedal supplier situation, but also the corporate culture should be scrutinized if their drive for continuous improvement (e.g. squeezing a drop of water from a dry cloth) has hit a nadir of cutting into safety margins.

Two other thoughts--this is the effect of decision(s) made probably around ten years ago, and what changes have occurred from then to now may factor into how they emerge from this. In addition, given that there are now parts shared across many models, these recalls will look more and more massive.
Old 01-27-10, 01:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Not sure how to think about this. First thing I thought was, "great, here goes my car's resale value." But no Lexus is being mentioned. Then I for sure feel bad for all the victims that have been claiming all along their cars had problems when no one believed them. Yet I also feel bad for corporate Toyota for now having to face a major crisis. But on the other hand they just got through several years of record sales. Having thought that, perhaps some equalization is going to come into play now. Didn't Toyota recently claim they have "reserves" for recall situations? Or some sort of fund or insurance? Of course this doesn't help out dealerships and salespeople. Going to get very interesting!
Old 01-27-10, 01:48 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I wonder if I sign a waiver, will they will sell me an affected car with a huge discount
try and let us know
Old 01-27-10, 02:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Yes they will take the blame, given that the car has Toyota's brand name on it. However, as others have noted, defective parts from a supplier should not have escaped Toyota's scrutiny. I agree that the 'awards' Toyota, Honda, and others have given CTS are now looking very silly. That this pedal design should exhibit premature wear and even jamming shows a lack of quality control, and inadequate aging tests.

There is also the issue of supplier cost controls, and Toyota's constant drive to lower costs. Could they have directly or inadvertently forced CTS to cut corners, producing pedals that don't hold up as well over time? That is also a serious question that needs to be asked. For a part component as fundamental as the accelerator pedal being defective is absolutely unthinkable. Heads definitely should roll if there are key culprits in this pedal supplier situation, but also the corporate culture should be scrutinized if their drive for continuous improvement (e.g. squeezing a drop of water from a dry cloth) has hit a nadir of cutting into safety margins.

Two other thoughts--this is the effect of decision(s) made probably around ten years ago, and what changes have occurred from then to now may factor into how they emerge from this. In addition, given that there are now parts shared across many models, these recalls will look more and more massive.
I think Akio Toyoda's remark made a while back that the company is "grasping for salvation" rings true here.

Also just to refresh some memories:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9yJCGNHdGWs

“How many times have you made a mistake?” Shoichiro grilled Watanabe, who sat silently among stunned audience members, according to a person familiar with the meeting.
These problems could be in-fact be the result of decisions that were originally made years ago, by then-president Katsuaki Watanabe, or the man before him Fujio Cho.

It does seem to me that since Akio Tododa became president, Toyota Motor Co. is making recalls to correct past mistakes, and to make sure future ones don't happen.

Their reputation is taking a hit right now, but hopefully it is for the better long-term.

One can only hope that Akio Toyoda is steering the company on the right path again.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water