Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 03:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will not worry about Toyota at all.
They are so deeply integrated into business and political system and if you are expecting scandal ala Audi in 80s it will just not happen. Toyota is too strong and will pull strings to secure themselves from any retribution.
Old 01-27-10, 03:43 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're wondering how big (and serious) this is...

Several years ago, Chevy did NOT recall their Z24s with brake issues as the corporate decision was that it's cheaper to deal with some deaths and lawsuits rather than a massive recall. From a cost perspective, it turned out okay and went away as very few ever knew about it.

Toyota did a recall first and now a FULL SUSPENSION of sales

HUGE
Old 01-27-10, 03:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think Akio Toyoda's remark made a while back that the company is "grasping for salvation" rings true here.

Also just to refresh some memories:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9yJCGNHdGWs

These problems could be in-fact be the result of decisions that were originally made years ago, by then-president Katsuaki Watanabe, or the man before him Fujio Cho.

It does seem to me that since Akio Tododa became president, Toyota Motor Co. is making recalls to correct past mistakes, and to make sure future ones don't happen.

Their reputation is taking a hit right now, but hopefully it is for the better long-term.

One can only hope that Akio Toyoda is steering the company on the right path again.
i am all for criticizing Toyota, but nobody makes parts to be defective on purpose. In this case, CTS seems one of the biggest suppliers to all japanese companies, not just Toyota. Of course, at the end responsibility is with Toyota to chose proper supplier, but i doubt they could have known that this will happen.

This is pretty much bad luck as silly and simple as it sounds.

Also I dont think histeria is needed - i was reading on USA Today - this is not an issue that happens once and you can not reproduce it. It happens gradually and pedal feels uneven when you press it and returns slower and slower...

It is horrible to happen, especially so soon after the floormats fiasco, and I really feel bad for Toyota dealers... Toyota as corporation is too big for anything bad to happen there.
Old 01-27-10, 03:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

Several years ago, Chevy did NOT recall their Z24s with brake issues as the corporate decision was that it's cheaper to deal with some deaths and lawsuits rather than a massive recall. From a cost perspective, it turned out okay and went away as very few ever knew about it.

HUGE
it is very unprecedented... many car makes have had safety issues (brakes, airbags, etc) and i dont remember any suspensions of sales happening at this scale... they would simply fix it with TSB and sending mail for customers to report back in.

This is actually much better for the customers, and i hope it happens more in the future (stopping sales of cars with known safety issues).

GM was asked about Vibe and they said their policy was to announce recall only once fix has been developed, which in this case means customers would be buying these cars for next few months at least.
Old 01-27-10, 04:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So--if you own one of these cars, do you show up at the Toyota dealer and request a Prius/Siena/4Runner/Land Cruiser loaner until the problem is solved??
Old 01-27-10, 04:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, the floor mat issue. Then, a huge, full investigation into a DBW computer malfunction. Now, a faulty gas pedal. Is it over now? Is the actual problem found? Or, is this just a witch hunt of sorts? Sounds like something as simple as a defective return spring.
Old 01-27-10, 04:53 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
Is none of this crossed over to the Lexus models at all?????? It's all toyota electronics. Are they just ignoring this and sweeping it under the rug or are there no crossover parts in the electrical system for the sensors?
There was a lady on the news (Chicago) that said she owns a Lexus and can't understand why there is no recall on that car. She said they are both identical....then why didn't she buy a Toyota????? I guess you had to see her attitude.
Old 01-27-10, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So--if you own one of these cars, do you show up at the Toyota dealer and request a Prius/Siena/4Runner/Land Cruiser loaner until the problem is solved??
My son in law and daugher just bought a loaded Highlander last week.
He's a Toyota/Lexus guy.He drives a LS460 and he and my daughter just traded in a RX 350 for the Highlander for more room.
I talked to him last night and he thought about the same thing.
He's not happy.The problem bothers me a bit too.My daughter and granddaughter are in that Highlander.
Old 01-27-10, 05:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
This entire issue will make a negative impact on sales.
ya think??
Old 01-27-10, 05:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
ya think??
Old 01-27-10, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My son in law and daugher just bought a loaded Highlander last week.
He's a Toyota/Lexus guy.He drives a LS460 and he and my daughter just traded in a RX 350 for the Highlander for more room.
I talked to him last night and he thought about the same thing.
He's not happy.The problem bothers me a bit too.My daughter and granddaughter are in that Highlander.
They were talking about that on the radio this morning. There's that magical cut-off somewhere in time--those that were waiting for their car to come in I guess get their transaction canceled; those that JUST took delivery of their car get screwed.

The Philly Auto Show is coming up next week--I wonder if those models will be pulled from the display??
Old 01-27-10, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am all for criticizing Toyota, but nobody makes parts to be defective on purpose. In this case, CTS seems one of the biggest suppliers to all japanese companies, not just Toyota. Of course, at the end responsibility is with Toyota to chose proper supplier, but i doubt they could have known that this will happen.
This is about as bad as I have seen it for recalls, we have people killed, hundreds of claims and a stop sale and stop production.

It will be interesting to see if Toyota will go ahead with their plans to cut cost across the board of their parts from vendors as they have said they would do in the next few years.

If Toyota sets a price for a vendor and the vendor have to somehow make the same part for 10% less money, how do you think they will do it. Some will say the vendor can re-engineer the part to save money, but where is the engineering cost going to come from? And most cost savings measures are already engineered into most of their parts already. The obvious solution is to cut corners. The new part will look, feel and function the same, but what use to be solid piece is now hallow, what use to be metal is now plastic. The vendor may save 50 cents on a cheaper fasteners or they can decide to use a cheaper bearing. Whatever is it, sometimes it will not affect reliability and sometimes it will.
The problem here is much wider than the gas pedal, it is the way Toyota is doing business. They spend whatever million on the LFA car, but at the same time, they are trying to save a dollar on a bearing or a fastener. Personally, I think Toyota has gotten too big for its own good. Spending is out of control and they are trying to save money in the wrong places.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-27-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-27-10, 06:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
This is about as bad as I have seen it for recalls, we have people killed, hundreds of claims and a stop sale and stop production.

It will be interesting to see if Toyota will go ahead with their plans to cut cost across the board of their parts from vendors as they have said they would do in the next few years.

If Toyota sets a price for a vendor and the vendor have to somehow make the same part for 10% less money, how do you think they will do it. Some will say the vendor can re-engineer the part to save money, but where is the engineering cost going to come from? And most cost savings measures are already engineered into most of their parts already. The obvious solution is to cut corners. The will look, feel and function the same, but what use to be solid is now hallow, what use to be metal is now plastic. The vendor may save 50 cents on the cheaper fasteners or they can decide to use a cheaper bearing. Whatever is it, sometimes it will not affect reliability and sometimes it will.
The problem here is much wider than the gas pedal, it is the way Toyota is doing business. They spend whatever million on the LFA car, but at the same time, they are trying to save a dollar on a bearing or a fastener. Personally, I think Toyota has gotten too big for its own good. Spending is out of control and they are trying to save money in the whole places.
I agree and this fiasco will bring Toyota back to reality.
Audi got through this and I'm sure Toyota will.
The last two CEO's killed Toyota quality with bad decision making.
The new guy in charge,Mr Toyoda will change things and bring Toyota back to quality of the past or close..
Old 01-27-10, 06:17 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry What is going on...?

Okay, does anyone have any additional information on the accelerator pedal issue? I ask because of this article...and it mentions the 2002 - 2004+ Lexus ES 300's & 330's now...

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

This whole family was killed...and he was a CHP officer.

I'm starting to get a little confused if the problem lies with the floor mat or the accelerator pedal...or both...? My gut is telling me that this recall isn't quite over yet...

Mods, this was posted twice on purpose for obvious reasons.
Old 01-27-10, 06:18 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

HUGE
Man you remind me of the Mitsubishi scandal to cover up their mess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...efect_cover-up

In what was referred to as "one of the largest corporate scandals in Japanese history",[22][23] Mitsubishi was twice forced to admit to systematically covering up defect problems in its vehicles. Four defects were first publicized in 2000, but in 2004 it confessed to 26 more going back as far as 1977, including failing brakes, fuel leaks and malfunctioning clutches. The effect on the company was catastrophic, forcing it to recall 163,707 cars (156,433 in Japan and 7,274 overseas) for free repair.[24] Further recalls by Fuso truck & bus brought the total number of vehicles requiring repair to almost one million. The affair led to the resignation and subsequent arrest of president Kawasoe, along with 23 other employees who were also implicated.[25] Three of them have since been acquitted, with the judge stating that there was no official request from the Transport Ministry ordering them to submit a defect report.

Scary stuff.

With that said, it may be fine to issue recalls now matter how big or small but if blood has to be shed, then it's an entirely scary story altogether

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water