Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 06:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Man you remind me of the Mitsubishi scandal to cover up their mess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...efect_cover-up

In what was referred to as "one of the largest corporate scandals in Japanese history",[22][23] Mitsubishi was twice forced to admit to systematically covering up defect problems in its vehicles. Four defects were first publicized in 2000, but in 2004 it confessed to 26 more going back as far as 1977, including failing brakes, fuel leaks and malfunctioning clutches. The effect on the company was catastrophic, forcing it to recall 163,707 cars (156,433 in Japan and 7,274 overseas) for free repair.[24] Further recalls by Fuso truck & bus brought the total number of vehicles requiring repair to almost one million. The affair led to the resignation and subsequent arrest of president Kawasoe, along with 23 other employees who were also implicated.[25] Three of them have since been acquitted, with the judge stating that there was no official request from the Transport Ministry ordering them to submit a defect report.

Scary stuff.

With that said, it may be fine to issue recalls now matter how big or small but if blood has to be shed, then it's an entirely scary story altogether
Yep... the CORPORATE decision (no matter how twisted or wrong) seems to be, "Let's pay a couple unfortunate folks $100 million rather than multi-billions for a full recall and lost sales if it gets out". One of my life-long friends and college roomate is a catastrophic auto liability attorney and he sees it every day.

Again, I understand the thinking, in no way do I agree with it
Old 01-27-10, 06:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with this post on another forum.

"The largest part of the problem is with the US and Canadian content - everything from the poor paint thickness, rusted truck frame issues, the defective gas pedals, electronic throttle software controls, and the defective rubber oil supply hoses. The other issue is worker morale has been steadily declining as volumes and new plants open."
Old 01-27-10, 06:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Okay, does anyone have any additional information on the accelerator pedal issue? I ask because of this article...and it mentions the 2002 - 2004+ Lexus ES 300's & 330's now...

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

This whole family was killed...and he was a CHP officer.

I'm starting to get a little confused if the problem lies with the floor mat or the accelerator pedal...or both...? My gut is telling me that this recall isn't quite over yet...

Mods, this was posted twice on purpose for obvious reasons.
It does seem a bit mind boggling that this recall impacts the Camry and Highlander Sequioa, BUT NOT the ES or RX.
Old 01-27-10, 06:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree and this fiasco will bring Toyota back to reality.
Audi got through this and I'm sure Toyota will.
The last two CEO's killed Toyota quality with bad decision making.
The new guy in charge,Mr Toyoda will change things and bring Toyota back to quality of the past or close..
Look how long it took Audi to bounce back from their gas pedal being too close to the brake pedal issue, and Mitsubishi still havent bounce back.
Old 01-27-10, 06:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
It does seem a bit mind boggling that this recall impacts the Camry and Highlander Sequioa, BUT NOT the ES or RX.
Not so much the ES because it's made in Japan but the RX is made in NA,Canada.

The vehicles having the problem are made in North America.
Old 01-27-10, 06:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
A stop-sale order is as bad as it gets. Toyota's fall from grace has been nothing short of epic. Absolutely horrendous.

I'm not sure what my next car will be, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a Toyota.
I refuse to turn my back on Lexus, the only way I would leave them , is if the UAW started to build them !!
Old 01-27-10, 06:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Look how long it took Audi to bounce back from their gas pedal being too close to the brake pedal issue, and Mitsubishi still havent bounce back.
Yeah but Audi was never a big seller nor was Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi is junk for the most part.

I remember the old joke...
How would you like to be slowing down to pay a toll and there's a Pinto(explodes on rear impact problem)in front of you and Audi behind you?

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-27-10 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-27-10, 06:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very unfortunate. Thankfully, I own the last generation of Rav4 made in Japan & would not want to face another problem considering the ECU/tranny issue, cat coverter, issues with my generation..
Old 01-27-10, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Very unfortunate. Thankfully, I own the last generation of Rav4 made in Japan & would not want to face another problem considering the ECU/tranny issue, cat coverter, issues with my generation..
If you buy a new Rav4 Sport V6 with the $577 Sport Appearance Pkg(no wheel on rear door),it's made in Japan.Others,Canada.
I had one on order but cancelled and decided to buy our 20K mile RX lease out.
Old 01-27-10, 06:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not so much the ES because it's made in Japan but the RX is made in NA,Canada.

The vehicles having the problem are made in North America.
So--the models made in Japan, even though essentially the same, use different suppliers for the gas pedal?
Old 01-27-10, 06:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you buy a new Rav4 Sport V6 with the $577 Sport Appearance Pkg(no wheel on rear door),it's made in Japan.Others,Canada.
I had one on order but cancelled and decided to buy our 20K mile RX lease out.
I actually love that version of the Rav4. It is beautiful & looks more upscale than the others.
Old 01-27-10, 06:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I actually love that version of the Rav4. It is beautiful & looks more upscale than the others.
It does look much better without the funky wheel in back and sport trim.The only way I'd buy one now for the wife.
Old 01-27-10, 06:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So--the models made in Japan, even though essentially the same, use different suppliers for the gas pedal?
That is what has been reported up to this point.
Subject to change.
Old 01-27-10, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah but Audi was never a big seller nor was Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi is junk for the most part.
Yes Toyota sells more cars, but its all proportional. Toyota is in a free fall state right now and they are trying to stabilzer the situsation by this stop sale and production order. Next will be recovery mode. Personally, I think Toyota will recover faster than Audi becuase its constomer based is very loyal, but if Toyota as a company do not start to concentrate on quality instead of quantity, it will be just a matter of time before another incident like this one will come up.
Old 01-27-10, 06:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes Toyota sells more cars, but its all proportional. Toyota is in a free fall state right now and they are trying to stabilzer the situsation by this stop sale and production order. Next will be recovery mode. Personally, I think Toyota will recover faster than Audi becuase its constomer based is very loyal, but if Toyota as a company do not start to concentrate on quality instead of quantity, it will be just a matter of time before another incident like this one will come up.
True,G.
When those models come back up for sale there will be very good incentives too.
They must go back to quality because no matter who the company is and how loyal their base is,they will turn off those people (even fanboy me)with problem after problem.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water