Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 10:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
What do you do when the manufacturer says all your models that make your money CANNOT BE SOLD? Dealerships will suffer families of salesmen will suffer, this is very bad for "PEOPLE", screw the repercussions to Toyota. The PEOPLE are suffering, dealership owners, employees, families.
They still have jobs (for now I guess). At least they don't work for Pontiac, Saturn, Saab, or any of the 1000s of GM or Chrysler dealers that had the rugs pulled out from under them.
Old 01-27-10, 10:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It was the U.S government that asked Toyota to take this action (freeze all sales). There is no big conspiracy by the media to bring down Toyota.
lets hope they will do that in the future when american brands have safety issues and not just foreign ones... i applaud that move.
Old 01-27-10, 10:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm expecting a reasonably quick resolution that will unfreeze sales.
Old 01-27-10, 11:03 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm expecting a reasonably quick resolution that will unfreeze sales.
I'm not. At least not for a couple weeks.

Toyota has gone from being the triple-platinum model of efficiency and quality to a lumbering, geriatric cruise ship that can barely get out of its own way.

Programs like the AE86 aside, these are THE saddest, darkest days for Toyota fans ever.
Old 01-27-10, 11:04 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Go Hyundai and Honda!! lol
Old 01-27-10, 11:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
did toyota actually finally admit that it is a gas pedal issue and not the floormats? If they didnt, then they are merely doing this to get the press off their backs and to fix the problem once and for all. If they did, then your post is justified
Isn’t replacing millions of these gas pedal a form of admission of guilt by Toyota, it is in the eyes of the customers I am sure. I have a few family members who owns Toyotas and they are nervous to say the least. They have ask me to keep them inform of the situation and I have gone thru Toyota's check list of what to do if sudden acceleration occurs. You will be surprise how many people don’t know the proper thing to do when sudden acceleration happens.
I guess the drivers who claim they have experience stuck gas pedal have multiply in recent weeks, but I guess that is to be expected. It will be interesting to see the Toyota sales report for March 2010, no doubt it will be a negative number.
Old 01-27-10, 11:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Toyota plants ready to receive replacements for faulty pedals
Hans Greimel
and Kathy Jackson
Automotive News -- January 27, 2010 - 12:01 am ET
UPDATED: 1/27/10 9:53 a.m. ET

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0dqEJUwc9

TOKYO -– Toyota Motor Corp.'s North American assembly plants are preparing to receive redesigned replacements for the faulty accelerator pedal mechanisms that led the automaker to suspend sales of eight models.

The sales halt will be followed by a production shutdown next week at five North American plants, Toyota said late Tuesday. The factories produce the cars and trucks that were among the 2.3 million Toyota recalled last week to fix accelerator pedals that are prone to stick.

Some Toyota plants may have already received the replacement part, but others will have to wait until production of the new mechanism ramps up, a person familiar with the matter said.

The source didn't offer details of the timeline. Blueprints for the redesigned mechanism were finished earlier this week by engineers at Toyota r&d and the U.S. supplier, CTS Corp., the person said.

“The countermeasure pedal is now available from the supplier,” the source said. “We are now in the transition period. It's just a matter of time in getting the parts to the plants.”

Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi confirmed that the supplier has already developed a replacement mechanism for the pedals. She said it was unclear to what extent they have already been shipped to assembly plants.Two of the factories are in Indiana, with one each in Texas, Kentucky and Canada.

The fix comes as the world's largest automaker struggles to rein in a widening crisis involving complaints about unintended acceleration cases, several that involved fatal crashes.

The faulty accelerators were made in Canada by CTS, which is headquartered in Elkhart, Ind. A person answering the phone after hours Tuesday declined to comment on the situation.

Last week's recall covers 2005-10 Avalons, 2007-10 Camrys and Tundras; 2008-10 Sequoias; 2009-10 Corollas, RAV4s and Matrixes; and 2010 Highlanders.

The shutdown

Takeuchi said next week's production shutdown is aimed at averting an inventory backup. It was unclear when output will resume. Production of the recalled vehicles will be initially halted from Feb. 1 through Feb. 5.

Following the Jan. 21 recall announcement, a limited number of vehicles continued to be made with the problematic pedal mechanism, Takeuchi said. It is unclear how many, but those vehicles were not shipped, she said.

Last week's recall followed a 4.2 million-vehicle recall last fall aimed at fixing floor mats that could jam the accelerator, causing unintended acceleration.

Bigger headaches still loom for Toyota.

Although the company has developed a replacement pedal mechanism so it can continue production of 2010 model year vehicles, fixing vehicles already in the field is more complicated.

Swapping old pedals for new ones would require volume of some 2 million pedals.

“We have to produce more than 2 million pedals,” the source said. “That takes a long time. That's more than we can produce in a year.”

Meanwhile, Toyota may expand the recall to Europe and China.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0dqE1877b
Old 01-27-10, 11:20 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/r...-recalled-mod/

Report: Toyota was legally required to stop selling recalled models

Toyota has quite the PR nightmare on its hands. The boiling cauldron of complaints surrounding unintended acceleration issues bubbled over this month with two separate but giant recalls. The latest involves eight Toyota models that contain defective accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick over time due to wear.

There is no fix available for the pedal mechanisms yet and dealers have continued to sell new models affected by the recall, so Toyota announced yesterday that it's suspending the sale and production of these eight models for the week of February 1. It was a bold move that made headlines, as Toyota stands to lose a lot of money. On the other hand, the Japanese automaker got some pats on the back for doing the right thing.

Turns out, the decision to stop producing these vehicles wasn't made by Toyota alone. The Detroit News reports that Toyota is required by law to stop selling the vehicles since there is no fix available yet. David Strickland, the new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said that Toyota consulted with his agency, which informed the automaker of its obligations and it complied. That still doesn't answer why these recalled vehicles were being sold five days after the recall was announced.

Nevertheless, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels is reported saying that the company's decision to stop selling the recalled vehicles was voluntary, but that they also had a legal requirement to do so. How do you voluntary do something that you're obligated to do?
Report: Toyota was legally required to stop selling recalled models
In related news, General Motors has confirmed to Autoblog's sister site, AOL Autos, that it is putting a hold on all remaining Pontiac Vibe sales, as the model is under recall for the same throttle issue that afflicts its mechanical twin, the Toyota Matrix. Fortunately for GM, there are apparently only six Vibe units left in stock nationwide as the brand's shutdown continues.
Old 01-27-10, 11:20 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Okay, does anyone have any additional information on the accelerator pedal issue? I ask because of this article...and it mentions the 2002 - 2004+ Lexus ES 300's & 330's now...

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

This whole family was killed...and he was a CHP officer.

I'm starting to get a little confused if the problem lies with the floor mat or the accelerator pedal...or both...? My gut is telling me that this recall isn't quite over yet...

Mods, this was posted twice on purpose for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by tex2670
It does seem a bit mind boggling that this recall impacts the Camry and Highlander Sequioa, BUT NOT the ES or RX.
The ES 350 problem in that accident was the floor mat, contributed to by the pedal design:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...h-had-earlier/

This sheriff's report (released in that link) is very detailed and graphic, it found that:

1. An earlier driver of the crash ES 350 had the same unintended acceleration, switched to N and shifted the floor mat. The car drove normally afterwards.

2. The sheriff investigators tested the same floor mat in another ES 350 and found that the pedal gets easily stuck.

What happened after is, with all the media attention, all Toyota and Lexus products were scrutinized. Now they have found a defective CTS pedal on N. American Toyota models. This does not apply to the ES or RX, IIRC because they use Denso pedals.
Old 01-27-10, 11:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FS: 2002 Toyota Rav4L fully loaded 40k on the clock, no accidents, always stored under a car cover.. $18,500..
Attached Thumbnails Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water-kdk_0051.jpg  
Old 01-27-10, 11:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Haha funny. But you have an 02 not a 09-10 which is being recalled.
Old 01-27-10, 11:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Haha funny. But you have an 02 not a 09-10 which is being recalled.
Thats right.. It is time to cash in as people are desperate for the good Toyotas made in Japan
Old 01-27-10, 12:28 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOYOTA = TIGER WOODS

but i believe both Toyota and Tiger will be back.
Old 01-27-10, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Toyota was legally required to stop selling cars

Toyota has quite the PR nightmare on its hands. The boiling cauldron of complaints surrounding unintended acceleration issues bubbled over this month with two separate but giant recalls. The latest involves eight Toyota models that contain defective accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick over time due to wear.

There is no fix available for the pedal mechanisms yet and dealers have continued to sell new models affected by the recall, so Toyota announced yesterday that it's suspending the sale and production of these eight models for the week of February 1. It was a bold move that made headlines, as Toyota stands to lose a lot of money. On the other hand, the Japanese automaker got some pats on the back for doing the right thing.

Turns out, the decision to stop producing these vehicles wasn't made by Toyota alone. The Detroit News reports that Toyota is required by law to stop selling the vehicles since there is no fix available yet. David Strickland, the new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said that Toyota consulted with his agency, which informed the automaker of its obligations and it complied. That still doesn't answer why these recalled vehicles were being sold five days after the recall was announced.

Nevertheless, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels is reported saying that the company's decision to stop selling the recalled vehicles was voluntary, but that they also had a legal requirement to do so. How do you voluntary do something that you're obligated to do?

In related news, General Motors has confirmed to Autoblog's sister site, AOL Autos, that it is putting a hold on all remaining Pontiac Vibe sales, as the model is under recall for the same throttle issue that afflicts its mechanical twin, the Toyota Matrix. Fortunately for GM, there are apparently only six Vibe units left in stock nationwide as the brand's shutdown continues.

News was released after this post was released on autoblog stating that the pedals for the recall are in . Toyota should be ok to fix the new cars being sold. This should help the sales to get flowing again
Attached Thumbnails Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water-gyi0059416385opt.jpg  
Old 01-27-10, 04:07 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

World News on ABC just blasted Toyota a bit. They stopped into a NY dealer and were told to leave...unpleasantly. They also went into another dealer with a hidden cam and the salemen told the person none of the showroom models were affected from the recall(even though they were).....ouch!

I love Toyotas and have owned many(Just bought my 4th 4runner, a 2010 TE this week and my wife drives a Lexus IS350). I truly hope they learn from their mistakes, come out of this successful, and put much more focus on quality & reliability rather than sheer numbers of sales.

I am glad I have always bought models made in Japan

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water