Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 04:13 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It was the U.S government that asked Toyota to take this action (freeze all sales). There is no big conspiracy by the media to bring down Toyota.
Considering the fact that GM and Mopar are owned by the Fed, and how the MSM are subservient to the Democrats, or rather Obama's inner circle - but you can draw your own conclusions...
Old 01-27-10, 05:59 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-27-10, 06:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ !!!!! Lmao
Old 01-27-10, 06:21 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

There should be a CNN telecast called "Crisis at Toyota"

This is embarassing
Old 01-27-10, 06:22 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxsf
^^ !!!!! Lmao
................x2
Old 01-27-10, 06:28 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
Considering the fact that GM and Mopar are owned by the Fed, and how the MSM are subservient to the Democrats, or rather Obama's inner circle - but you can draw your own conclusions...
This is stupid.
Old 01-27-10, 10:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

In Los Angeles, we are now getting TV commercials of lawyers soliciting their services to those affected by the sudden acceleration! Dang!
Old 01-27-10, 10:54 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
The fix comes as the world's largest automaker struggles to rein in a widening crisis involving complaints about unintended acceleration cases, several that involved fatal crashes.
I've only ever heard of the CHP in the ES case. Were there other fatal cases?
Old 01-28-10, 12:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
I've only ever heard of the CHP in the ES case. Were there other fatal cases?
There is only one reported case of a fatality with a Lexus and "floormat" fatality.

Here's an Autoblog article referencing the SD Tribune story regarding that incident.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/07/r...h-told-dealer/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...h-had-earlier/

I hate to say it but this has happened to me at a different Lexus dealer and their loaner cars. For many years many Lexus dealers have used the clear floormats either made by Exact Mats or Lloyd Mats in their loaner cars to protect the oem lexus floor mats in the cars. Some loan car department throw in clear floor mats from other cars. I'm going to assume this was done inadvertantly to save time or recycle the mats and save money. In my case I've seen an RX clear mat put into an IS250 loaner I have driven. While I was driving, I noticed a vague feel in the gas pedal. As I was braking, I noticed the engine speed was not going down and the car was not slowing down. I looked down at the floor mat and saw the clear floor mat ON TOP of the gas pedal. I quickly pulled the mat back away from the pedal. I took the floor mat out and compared it with the factory floormat of the IS250. It was obvious the clear floormat was oversized. I threw the clear mat in the trunk and upon my return of the loaner, notified the loan car rep to remove the clear mat from the trunk as it is incorrect.

Is there a design flaw in Lexus gas pedals? I really don't think so. Is human error to blame? Yup. I really think the fact that it was a CHP officer that was involved in this fatal accident, the media jumped on it quick and of course Toyota took the measures to investigate.
Old 01-28-10, 01:29 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only aftermarket mats that I've seen that fit like OEM are WeatherTechs. Wright/Lloyd/Kraco ones are universal ones that do not fit most cars - unless you have a older car. The OEM Toyota mats are made by Vilene, a German/Japanese firm.

A indie shop in San Francisco has this tidbit - they say aftermarket mats are to blame:
http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/floor..._investigates/
Old 01-28-10, 01:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default The Fix is In

Did someone already post this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/t...dals-ready-to/

Much of the controversy surrounding Toyota's latest recall of 2.3 million vehicles for defective accelerator pedal mechanisms has to do with the fact that the automaker didn't have a fix ready when the announcement was made last week. These assemblies can reportedly wear over time, causing the accelerator pedal to return to position slowly or even stick and cause unintended acceleration. Since there was no fix at the time of the announcement, Toyota halted sales of all eight models involved in the recall and decided to shut down the plants where they're assembled in early February to prevent inventory from backing up. This action occurred five days after the recall began and was reportedly done in consult with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration since it's required to do so by law.

Well, the fix is in, so to speak, as Automotive News reports that affected Toyota plants are now gearing up to receive replacement accelerator pedal mechanisms. A Toyota spokesperson confirmed to the industry paper that the supplier responsible for manufacturing the parts, CTS Corporation, has finished developing a replacement mechanism and that some units have already been shipped to plants, though the amount and which plants received have them is unknown. The factories will likely still shut down from February 1–5 in order to keep inventory in check, but having the replacement assemblies now will help ensure they're in the pipeline when production of each model resumes.

Despite the good news for anyone considering the purchase of a Toyota model affected by the recall, Automotive News rightly points out that current owners may not benefit as quickly. There are 2.3 million vehicles in customers' driveways that require the replacement part, but AN sources say the plant that makes them has an annual capacity of just 2 million. Considering that Toyota's assembly plants also need to be supplied, we're wondering how Toyota will be able to fix each recalled vehicle in a timely manner.

On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice.
Old 01-28-10, 03:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

GM is pouncing quickly... $1,000 incentive to you to switch to a GM product (maybe even a Corvette???) if you can prove Toyota ownership

Ahhh... capitalism at it's best!!!!
Old 01-28-10, 04:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Odd the RX 350 isn't one of the problem vehicles.
North American built vehicles have the issue and our RX is made in Canada.
Nothing odd about it. The RX exclusively uses Denso pedals, just like all Japan-built Toyota models. The RX therefore is excluded from the current recalls and production stoppage.

All currently affected Toyota vehicles use CTS pedals.

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am all for criticizing Toyota, but nobody makes parts to be defective on purpose. In this case, CTS seems one of the biggest suppliers to all japanese companies, not just Toyota. Of course, at the end responsibility is with Toyota to chose proper supplier, but i doubt they could have known that this will happen.

This is pretty much bad luck as silly and simple as it sounds.

Also I dont think histeria is needed - i was reading on USA Today - this is not an issue that happens once and you can not reproduce it. It happens gradually and pedal feels uneven when you press it and returns slower and slower...

It is horrible to happen, especially so soon after the floormats fiasco, and I really feel bad for Toyota dealers... Toyota as corporation is too big for anything bad to happen there.
Who said anything about parts being made to be defective on purpose?

Most likely this problem, along with Toyota's other quality problems over the last several years have occurred because of parts being defective by accident, or simply parts being made with insufficient quality standards.

I think this is more than simply bad luck.

I strongly feel that the huge worldwide expansion that Toyota undertook with Fujio Cho in 2002, and later Katsuaki Watanabe has led to the vast majority of Toyota's current quality problems.

Last year Toyota's honorary chairman blasted Watanabe asking him how many mistakes he had made. When you have the honorary chairman of the company heavily criticizing the former president of the company, then you know that definitely some mistakes were made over these past few years.

----------------------------------

Here is an article with some very important points consider Toyota's current situation:

Toyota Heir Faces Crisis at the Wheel

Toyota Motor Corp.'s U.S. sales halt is a nightmare come true for Akio Toyoda, who took the helm last year of the giant auto maker founded by his grandfather.

The Toyota president, who set out to overhaul how the world's No. 1 car maker designs, manufactures and sells cars, had been worried that a backlash like the one he's now facing over quality would hit Toyota sooner or later, according to a longtime associate. Now he is scrambling to contain just such a disaster.

Toyota's decision Tuesday to stop selling eight popular models in the U.S. and Canada because of possible defects that cause unintended acceleration threatens to damage its reputation for reliability, hinder its return to profitability and unleash a wave of lawsuits. The debacle raises a troubling question for Toyota's leadership: Has it sacrificed quality in its push to capture global market share?

The company's safety woes continue to grow. On Wednesday Toyota announced it was expanding a recall announced late last year involving pedals catching on floor mats. That recall originally affected 4.3 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles, making it the company's biggest recall ever. Toyota has added 1.1 million more vehicles to that recall, representing four models. The original recall followed a fatal car accident on a San Diego highway of a Lexus ES350 sedan that accelerated out of control, killing all four occupants.

In response to the current crisis, the company is planning to announce a new round of incentives to lure buyers into dealerships to purchase models unaffected by the sales halt, including the Prius hybrid and the Sienna minivan. That could help minimize the potential loss of revenue, which analysts estimate could run as much as $500 million a week. The company is struggling to find a fix for the gas-pedal issue, but it could be weeks away.

The company said Tuesday that it is committed to the safety of its customers and to restoring confidence in Toyota. Last week, when it recalled 2.3 million vehicles because of potential sticky accelerators, it said it would continue "to investigate incidents of unwanted acceleration and take appropriate measures to address any trends that are identified." Toyota spokesman Mike Michels said Wednesday that the sales halt was required by law after the recall. "It's not a voluntary thing," he said.

Toyota's competitors are eager to grab customers. General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday offered cash or free financing to Toyota owners who would switch to their vehicles.

"We have customers saying, 'We don't want these cars anymore,' " says Steve Hill, general manager of GM retail activities. Mr. Hill says GM dealers have received thousands of calls from dissatisfied Toyota owners since Tuesday night.

With Toyota's reputation as a safety and reliability leader at stake, Mr. Toyoda's mission is all the more urgent. In a news conference immediately after taking over last June, Mr. Toyoda said that the company erred in the last decade with an all-out push to become the world's largest car maker, drifting away from its core value of focusing on the customer. "I do not think we were wrong to expand our business to meet the needs of customers around the world, but we may have stretched more than we should have," he said at the time.

A senior Toyota executive reached Wednesday declined to say how long Toyota had known about possible defects that may have caused its vehicles to accelerate unintentionally. "That [time frame] is a very important point, and it could become a very difficult problem for us legally," he said.

Lawyers say the full extent of Toyota's problems likely won't become clear until it more clearly determines how many cars are affected. Edwin Baum of New York's Proskauer Rose LLP, who defends companies in product-liability suits, foresees Toyota's problems "getting worse before they get better," and says the potential liability could be quite big.

Avis Budget Group Inc., Hertz Global Holdings and privately held Enterprise Holdings Inc. said Wednesday they are removing from their fleets those Toyotas affected by the sales halt.

Records at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show complaints dating back several years about sudden, unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. In 2004, NHTSA investigated reports of speed-control issues in Lexus ES350 and Toyota Camry sedans from the 2002 and 2003 model years. At that time, no action was taken. The NHTSA report that closed the cases said: "A defect trend has not been identified at this time and further use of agency resources does not appear to be warranted."

The NHTSA said Wednesday it "has been working with Toyota to address serious defects in its vehicles over the last several months….We will continue our discussions with Toyota and undertake a review of the remedy offered to vehicle owners affected by this recall."

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons says the company has received more than 2,000 complaints about engine-speed control over the past 10 years. He says there so many elements that make up the NHTSA category that it makes diagnosing the underlying problem very difficult. "It is so hard to get your hands around just the complaints," he says. "Your best method of determining what has gone wrong is examining an individual vehicle."

A former Toyota executive who was involved in the earlier recall cases said the company's focus on growth and profits "at all cost" caused it to allow quality issues to go unresolved.

The company's growth plan began with the ascent of former executive Hiroshi Okuda, who became president in 1995 and took over as chairman in 1999. Under Mr. Okuda, the company aimed to become the biggest auto maker in the world. Over the next decade, Toyota grew rapidly in the U.S., increasing sales and expanding its U.S. manufacturing footprint. In 2007, it sold 2.6 million vehicles in the U.S., up from 1.6 million in 2000.

In 2005 Toyota tried to challenge the dominance by the U.S. auto makers in the full-size pickup market, making a big bet on a plant in San Antonio. In 2008, it completed a new plant in Ontario to build RAV4 sport-utility vehicles. And it also announced plans to build another plant in Mississippi, where it originally intended to build the Highlander sport-utility vehicle. As it expanded, Toyota was confronted with quality problems. In 2005, it recalled 2.38 million vehicles in the U.S., slightly more than it sold that year.

In the face of the problems, Katsuaki Watanabe, the former president, in 2006 delayed the introductions of some new models by as much as half a year. The move was designed to give engineers more time to work on vehicle and component design. In some cases, Mr. Watanabe decided to eliminate planned products altogether, in others, to introduce new products.

After a two-month review, Toyota concluded that its product-development process was fraying at the edges due to its emphasis on its global expansion. Mr. Watanabe noted in an interview at the time that in some cases company engineers may have rushed out products without conducting enough quality checks, such as building physical prototypes, and relying too much on computer simulations. Toyota tapped the brakes on that practice.
Toyota engineers reached on Wednesday said they wondered whether current problems are an echo of product-development problems tackled under the former president. Mr. Watanabe's "remedies were supposed to have fixed the problem," said one Toyota engineering director. A Toyota spokesman said Mr. Watanabe declined to comment.

As the company resumed its rapid growth, more problems surfaced.
In 2007, Sue Goodman, a portfolio manager and mother of two in Maplewood, N.J., returned from an overseas trip to learn that her au pair had totaled her 2004 Toyota Corolla, Ms. Goodman recalled on Wednesday. Her au pair was leaving the YMCA in nearby Summit when the car reversed uncontrollably at high speed, she said. The car crossed the parking lot and smashed into the front tire of tractor-trailer, she said.
"It buckled the frame of the car," Mrs. Goodman said. No one was injured. At the time, Ms. Goodman had no explanation for what happened. Now she thinks it may be because of the problem Toyota disclosed this week. She said she reported the incident to the government this week. A Toyota spokesman said he wouldn't comment on individual cases without knowing all the details.

At least three class-action lawsuits have been filed in federal courts against Toyota, one in West Virginia in November and two in California earlier this month. All three allege Toyota knew the electronic throttle in its vehicles had defects that could potentially endanger drivers and other occupants, yet continued to sell them.

A plaintiff in one California suit, Un Jin Choi of Irvine, Calif., was preparing to park a 2004 Toyota Camry on Nov. 9 when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. According to the lawsuit, the driver swerved to avoid hitting a building, and the vehicle sped across a street and struck a telephone pole. The suit seeks unspecified restitution and damages for customers who bought vehicles with defective accelerators.

The Toyota that Mr. Toyoda inherited last June wasn't the profitable, expanding powerhouse of the prior decade. The company had its first loss in 59 years in the fiscal year ended last March, and is expected to log another loss this year. The company faces pressure from shareholders to trim capacity and cut jobs, an idea generally loathed in Japan.

The company is now facing dropping global sales, overcapacity in Japan and the U.S., and thousands of idle workers. Mr. Toyoda decided to close a manufacturing facility connected to a joint-venture with General Motors in California, marking the first time Toyota has been involved in U.S. plant closure.

Mr. Toyoda has developed a reputation in Japan for being elusive. He has given only a handful of public speeches and news conferences since becoming Toyota president, and he rarely meets with reporters individually. Mr. Toyoda wasn't available for comment for this article.

Those who know Mr. Toyoda say he isn't avoiding the media or public appearances, but is trying to spend more time in the field. His aim is to embrace a traditional Toyota practice called genchi genbutsu, a leadership maxim that boils down to getting out of the office and visiting the source of the problem, according to those people.

After Toyota's relationship with GM dissolved last summer, Mr. Toyoda has taken steps to cultivate closer ties with Ford, according to his longtime associate. His motivation is to bolster Toyota's political standing in the U.S., the associate says, at a time when U.S. car makers face severe financial problems.

In September, Mr. Toyoda and Ford CEO Alan Mulally arranged to meet in San Francisco, this person says. The two executives "talked about how Toyota and Ford could cooperate to form a close relationship...and agreed to cooperate in a very general sense," he says.

No specific deals were hammered out at the September meeting, but Messrs. Toyoda and Mulally "identified the environmental area as a possible way of cooperation," he says.

The two companies could help one another by jointly developing and manufacturing gasoline-electric hybrids and plug-in electric cars, he says. Mr. Mulally declined to comment.

Last summer at an industry conference in Michigan where he gave the keynote speech, Mr. Toyoda showed a video of himself driving the company's new Lexus LFA sports car to illustrate his desire to revitalize the company.
"The severe drop in the economy and auto market has created some of the most challenging times Toyota has ever faced," he said. "I aim to take us back to what made Toyota successful for many years—making high-quality products at an affordable price."
So there you have it. After Toyota conducted it's OWN internal review of it's product development process, it concluded that it was cutting corners and not focusing enough on quality by rushing out designs without proper testing, by relying too much on computer simulation instead of real physical prototypes.

This article says that some Toyota engineers feel these problems are lingering on from Watanabe's time as president.

I figured there would be some quality issues here and there with Toyota's huge push for profits and marketshare, but combined with Watanabe's cost-cutting, I never thought problems would be this big.

As a Toyota enthusiast, this is a sad time for the company. I wish somehow that the company could go private and become free of it's shareholders.

Watanabe-san, the shareholders, Cho-san should ALL be very ashamed of themselves for contributing to the mess that Toyota is in right now. The constant pressure from shareholders to cut losses did not help Toyota at all these years.

I sincerely and truly hope that, as a member of the Toyoda family, Toyoda-san can restore the honor of the company, and get it back to it's roots of putting the customer before profits and marketshare, and of building high quality vehicles as well as adding fun vehicles back into the lineup.
Old 01-28-10, 04:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This from just outside Philly yesterday:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=7243530

CHELTENHAM, Pa. - January 27, 2010 (WPVI) -- Investigators want to know if Toyota's gas pedal problem contributed to an accident in Cheltenham.

The elderly driver tells police she had her 2007 Toyota Camry in a parking space. She was trying to put the vehicle in park when she says it just lurched forward and smashed into the Melody Cleaners.

The laundromat's linoleum floors have skid marks, the pricey washers and dryers aredented, and a pile of rubble blocks the front entrance.

The 86-year-old owner, Lou Rizzo, is just thankful no one was injured when the Camry crashed through the place.

"It's a good thing it didn't happen on a Saturday or Friday because we're jammed here. There would have been 4 to 5 people killed," Rizzo said.

The 68-year-old driver of the car was taken to a local hospital and has since been released.

No charges have been filed because police haven't determined exactly what caused the crash.

"The vehicle has since been impounded and is being further investigated by our highway safety unit," Lt. John Weed of the Cheltenham Police said.

Detectives will be looking at the accelerator because of the recent controversy surrounding Toyota's vehicles.

"The cases that Toyota is citing, the pedal sticks and becomes resistant to returning and eventually it may not, and that is the fear they're trying to address," Jeff Bartlett of Consumer Reports said.

"I just felt sorry for the lady, but it wasn't her fault," Rizzo said.

Police are not releasing the name of the driver and Lou Rizzo says it may be several months before he reopens.

(Copyright ©2010 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 01-28-10, 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In Los Angeles, we are now getting TV commercials of lawyers soliciting their services to those affected by the sudden acceleration! Dang!
A friend bought a new Camry 3 weeks ago. Dealer won't do anything for them. He called a Lemon Law lawyer.

Quick Reply: Toyota freezes all sales of 8 models, leaving all dealerships dead in the water