Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will this Incident Plauge TMC sales for the next ~8 years?
Yes it will
30.00%
No it wont
62.50%
Needs More Cowbell
7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Incident-Will it Plauge TMC for the next 8 years?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 03:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If they solve the problem quickly and the public feels TMC has been straight up with them they'll be no fallout. Toyota is good at this sort of stuff. And let's face it, most American's won't have a clue about this story. They are too involved with Simon Cowell and AI to worry about this sort of stuff.

This has been blown way out of proportion as to its seriousness.
Old 01-28-10, 03:14 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a lot of you guys are missing is that a great deal of this is out of Toyota's control. Yes, they can do some PR damage control but it will be the consumer who decides how quickly the company bounces back. Will the public's collective mind quickly forget? Toyota has little influence over that.

Sometimes, rational or not, a perception can be viewed as fact and it's quite possible that people will look at their kids in the backseat and wonder "what if?". In this case family loyalty trumps brand loyalty.
Old 01-28-10, 03:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think loyalty to Toyota is the key to their continued success. They will need to deliver competitive high-quality products and implement the fixes efficiently with good customer satisfaction. And I don't think the junk on the cable tv channels will determine the fate of Toyota.
Old 01-28-10, 04:17 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure this will haunt them but my guess it that it'll haunt them closer to 8 months not 8 years...

If they offer some nice incentives on these cars at some point during the year I'm sure people will "forget" about the issues and buy them regardless.
Old 01-28-10, 08:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This doesnt make me any less inclined to buy a Toyota.
Old 01-28-10, 08:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't bother me at all either. We do have a brand new 2010 Tacoma Double Cab that is affected by all of this, but I am not brand loyal and buy cars that I like from many different brands so my perception has not changed. If Toyota makes a car I like when I'm ready to buy, I'll buy it. If they don't, I'll move to one of the other brands I like. It is really that simple. The brand that makes cars that people want to buy will always survive no matter what.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-29-10 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 11:27 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It's just one part. Once Toyota announces it has been fixed, people will continue to buy Toyotas.
Old 01-29-10, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
It's just one part. Once Toyota announces it has been fixed, people will continue to buy Toyotas.
Yes. The interviews that I've seen of actual owners have been non-events. Of course the internet and all the armchair quarterbacking is another story.

I'll later talk to my brother and a good friend that own Rav4/Tacoma to see what their reaction or non-reaction is too.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-29-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 11:14 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
This doesnt make me any less inclined to buy a Toyota.
+1, but there was another incident with an elderly

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/29/e...es-unintended/
Old 01-29-10, 11:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe this issue will plague Toyota for a looooong time like the Tylenol situation back in the early 80's.
Old 01-29-10, 02:33 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bad co
Toyota is a big name and has kept a pretty possitive image for reasons such as : reliability, fuel efficiency, product quality, and great value. Now most of us here will acknowledge that that Toyota reliability is around average, fuel efficiency is greatly improved but product quality has dropped and its not the same value it was 10 years ago. But the general public hasn't came to that consensus yet. But slowly yet surely the bad name will stick around. It took Audi years to regain market share, most people say that American cars are horrible although they are equall if not better then theyre Japanese competitors. Same can be said with Mercedes they were known as unreliable p.o.s now they make mighty fine cars yet a lot of people wont even consider them because of what was said a few years ago. So Toyota fans brace yourself this going to be a bumpy ride.
Not to be an azz, but the only reason Toyota are not as good quality as they use to be is because since the introduction of the 1997 Toyota Camry,, most Toyotas were started to be made in Good Old America... Notice how the Toyotas with the Vin# beginning with the letter J is not affected???? Why????? cause those rare ones are still made in Japan.. and most Lexus are made in Japan,, thats why its one of the most RELIABLE cars still out there..... Honda and Acuras are the same,,, most of them started having problems when they were started to be produced in this country...
Old 01-29-10, 02:35 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jadu
+1, but there was another incident with an elderly

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/29/e...es-unintended/
I betcha if they checked the entire car over, they wont be able to re-produce the same problem.. these old farts are just finding shiznit to blame.... lol
Old 01-29-10, 02:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I betcha if they checked the entire car over, they wont be able to re-produce the same problem.. these old farts are just finding shiznit to blame.... lol
i was thinking the sam ething