Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will this Incident Plauge TMC sales for the next ~8 years?
Yes it will
30.00%
No it wont
62.50%
Needs More Cowbell
7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Incident-Will it Plauge TMC for the next 8 years?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 06:35 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Incident-Will it Plauge TMC for the next 8 years?

Just as it did for Audi/VAG?They did not do well for ~8 or so years after their incident...

Also I was just discussing about the Firestone tire incident with a coworker who happened to work @ the R&D group of Firestone at the time the "Exploader" issue happened.

He said in summary that both sides Ford and Firestone were to blame for the tire issue as the tires affect were only ones that were modified to Ford's spec's (The OE tires) as Ford wanted the vehicles to ride smoother so the tires were underinflated vs the standard models of the same tires, as well as the OE equipped tires(one that came off the showroom floor) did not have steel endcaps rather nylon to reduce vibrations. (It was made just for FordMoCo).
Old 01-28-10, 06:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Toyota will bounce back pretty quickly.
Audi was never was a good selling vehicle when they had their problem.In fact,Audi wasn't known to be a reliable vehicle back then.
Ford Explorers still had high sales and Firestone has had a few recalled tires and still sold tires.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-28-10 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 06:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota with DEEP pockets will have much better publicity campaign and push track record to over come this than the Audi fubar
Old 01-28-10, 08:17 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

honestly, this wouldnt stop me from buying one of those recalled vehicles today.

1) how likely will it happen to you? probability is with you on this one.
2) even if it does happen, how hard is it to press on the brake while in neutral?
3) they are fixing the problem and will be selling safe cars within a week

seriously, a little unitended aceleration and everyone's screaming for their lives
Old 01-28-10, 08:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 780 Likes on 546 Posts

You have to consider that the average consumer (i.e. none of us here) can be quite lazy when it comes to cars. A lot of them just want something to get them from point A to point B and this pedal recall is going to haunt Toyota for a while. That being said, I think it will linger with this generation's Camry for a while. When the next gen comes out it'll be largely forgotten.
Old 01-28-10, 08:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota should and I believe will put some great incentives on these 8 models when they go back on sale and people will be buying these models.
This is a wake up call to the Toyota execs right down to the on the floor workers.
Old 01-28-10, 08:39 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

We see corps rise and fall all the time and no one really stays on top for ever.

I still expect at some point for there to be a backlash against the Japanese automakers and buying American or even European will be the most acceptable. This current issue with Toyota is just one piece of that puzzle.

I owned and loved my Lexus and Toyota products, it is just somewhere I see the marketing going in the future.
Old 01-28-10, 08:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I commend Toyota for initiating such a huge and unprecedented recall/stop sale.

GM/Ford/Chrysler would never EVER do such a thing unless absolutely forced to.

Toyota will bounce back very quickly.
Old 01-28-10, 08:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Toyota didn't have a choice.They had to do the stop sale.I do agree toyota will bounce back quickly.

"Officials said NHTSA first contacted Toyota Friday, after seeing news reports of Toyota's plans to continue selling defective vehicles.

It wasn't until around noon on Tuesday that Toyota informed safety regulators it would halt sales.

Under Chapter 301 of the Motor Safety Code, Toyota can't continue to sell the defective vehicles unless it has a remedy."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0draBcEb9

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-28-10 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 09:01 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I learned that the Japanese were all about zero defects and continuous improvement. That was the attitude that allowed them to gain huge shares in this market while the domestics were more concerned with their profit margins. It seems like Toyota has lost sight of what made them who they are, and instead have gone down the typical corporate path.

Originally Posted by bagwell

From what Autoblog and Jalopnik's saying:
(The NHTSA forced Toyota to take them off the market. They just neglected to say that in their press release.)

Last edited by lexusscturbo; 01-28-10 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 10:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I expect Toyota to bounce back quickly.
Old 01-28-10, 11:57 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the media keeps ripping on Toyota, then they'll have some trouble. However, once the trouble stops, the public will get bored of repeated Toyota attacks and the media will just move on. Remember Swine Flu? yeah...
Old 01-28-10, 12:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they will bounce back much faster than Audi. I have already seen commercials just stating how reliable Toyotas are. They have already started damage control. I am sure they have multiple PR firms trying to fix this image issue right now
Old 01-28-10, 02:15 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota is a big name and has kept a pretty possitive image for reasons such as : reliability, fuel efficiency, product quality, and great value. Now most of us here will acknowledge that that Toyota reliability is around average, fuel efficiency is greatly improved but product quality has dropped and its not the same value it was 10 years ago. But the general public hasn't came to that consensus yet. But slowly yet surely the bad name will stick around. It took Audi years to regain market share, most people say that American cars are horrible although they are equall if not better then theyre Japanese competitors. Same can be said with Mercedes they were known as unreliable p.o.s now they make mighty fine cars yet a lot of people wont even consider them because of what was said a few years ago. So Toyota fans brace yourself this going to be a bumpy ride.
Old 01-28-10, 02:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Media has already done plenty to twist words and facts around. Toyota is doing the right thing. They did the recall on their own regardless of how the media portrays this. Toyota did play by the rules and followed them before any infractions were imposed by NHTSA. I commend Toyota for stepping up to the plate versus being pushed over the edge.

Quick Reply: Throttle Incident-Will it Plauge TMC for the next 8 years?