Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car & Driver's Take on Lexus ( Has Lexus lost its way merge)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 02:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Just got my issue of C&D. "Behold the new Lexus WTF" I read the first two paragraphs and had to stop because this tool was bashing Lexus.. Also in the "Backfires" section peoples comments and write ins were bashing the LFA as well.. These people don't have clue..

On another note.. GReat article on the 2011 GT 5.0 "aka Coyote

So is me or are they still building a 2012 model
Old 01-30-10, 06:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There will always be those that refuse to believe regardless of the product line that Lexus is a serious contender in the sport luxury category. Not everyone likes Lexus just the same as Ford, Acura, and every car make out there is not 100% truly loved by all. To get all upset and defensive proves nor changes anything. Just enjoy what you drive as what others think of your car should be of little consequence. This guy joins a long line of folks in the automotive press that feel the same way and will continue to do so even if Lexus launched a 800hp AWD levitating car. Everyone is prejudiced to some degree. I seriously doubt this guy would come here to read any of of the post and certainly would not have his mind changed if by chance he did.

Kind of like car reviews. They are all to be taken with a grain as it is not me driving the car. If XXXXXX drives and writes a review on a car-so what? Does nothing for me as my priorities may be completely different vs what is important to the reviewer. If one particular magazine rubs off wrong to a person then why even bother to continue to read it? Find one that you generally agree with and move on with life. I stopped reading C&D years ago for that very reason and happier for it.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-30-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 07:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems all the publications take turns bashing Lexus. It's so silly it doesn't even bother me anymore. The only magazine that ever had consistent positive things to say about Lexus is Modified Luxury & Exotics. Now that they are gone, no one is left to give us props. That's okay. It reminds me that our brand is on top.....which explains why so many are trying to bring it down.
Old 01-30-10, 08:10 PM
RsSharKy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there is a conspiracy theory
we all know that Toyota will soon catch up with GM
all of a sudden Toyota / Lexus cars are killing people
publications take turns bashing Lexus
i think someone out there is trying to bring up American cars' sales
Old 01-30-10, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
There will always be those that refuse to believe regardless of the product line that Lexus is a serious contender in the sport luxury category. Not everyone likes Lexus just the same as Ford, Acura, and every car make out there is not 100% truly loved by all. To get all upset and defensive proves nor changes anything. Just enjoy what you drive as what others think of your car should be of little consequence. This guy joins a long line of folks in the automotive press that feel the same way and will continue to do so even if Lexus launched a 800hp AWD levitating car. Everyone is prejudiced to some degree. I seriously doubt this guy would come here to read any of of the post and certainly would not have his mind changed if by chance he did.

Kind of like car reviews. They are all to be taken with a grain as it is not me driving the car. If XXXXXX drives and writes a review on a car-so what? Does nothing for me as my priorities may be completely different vs what is important to the reviewer. If one particular magazine rubs off wrong to a person then why even bother to continue to read it? Find one that you generally agree with and move on with life. I stopped reading C&D years ago for that very reason and happier for it.
I would agree with you IF the editor of a magazine that prioritizes sport and driving experience didn't just whine about a brand bringing sport and driving experience to the market.

So lets go further;

If Eddie was editor of other magazines this is what the rant would sound like;

Rolling Stone-I cannot believe Alicia Keys decided to give a tour to her fans. How stupid, we prefer her CDs, she sounds great there. Why sing in person?

Top Gear- Well this is stupid, who needs a V-10, 552hp carbon fiber car. Stig, don't even drive it on the track for times, its a Lexus, this is stupid.

Forbes- I cannot believe Microsoft founder Bill Gates decided to give billions to charity. That is stupid, he is not a philanthropist he is a businessman/inventor. He needs to invent not give to charity.

Entertainment-WTF is Denzel Washington doing being a bad guy in "Training Day", well that is utterly stupid, we like him as a nice guy. What an idiot, who wants a bad guy Denzel?

Martha Stewart-Why is Mcdonalds now offering salads. That is stupid. They need to stick to big macs. No one is going to like their salads.

He is an editor, he is allowed to rant all he wants on his page and steer his magazine into oblivion. As you said there is a reason why people like you and me haven't paid for that awful magazine in years.

SPORTS CAR INTERNATIONAL was a REAL MAGAZINE. Shame they are gone. I would have paid $100 easy for a 12 or even 8 month subscription.

Old 01-30-10, 10:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

well said.
Old 01-30-10, 11:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't received my March edition yet.
Old 01-31-10, 12:13 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

got it, read the article.

if anything, it confirms why i only "read" the reviews and previews... and by "read", i mean look at the pictures and the stats. i just need to know if i like looking at it and how it performs. i really don't need to know what the editorial staff @ C&D thinks or how they feel about said car(s) - i can come to my own conclusions.

if anything, imo their ed/op's are page fillers to complement the gratuitous number of ads in there, but that's a discussion for another day.
Old 01-31-10, 10:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
got it, read the article.

if anything, it confirms why i only "read" the reviews and previews... and by "read", i mean look at the pictures and the stats. i just need to know if i like looking at it and how it performs. i really don't need to know what the editorial staff @ C&D thinks or how they feel about said car(s) - i can come to my own conclusions.

if anything, imo their ed/op's are page fillers to complement the gratuitous number of ads in there, but that's a discussion for another day.
I'll check my mailbox, thanks. That's pretty much how I read the car mags too.
Old 02-01-10, 07:47 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my copy of the March 2010 issue of Car & Driver this past Saturday and read Eddie Alterman's stupid little rant.

Like mmarshall alluded to in Post #20 of this thread, I've followed and subscribed to Car & Driver for a looooong time. In fact, I may have started subscribing continuously as far back as 1969, as a 13-year-old, so I've certainly been through the glory days when they were truly the rebellious alternative. Perhaps that op-ed piece was Alterman's misguided way of attempting to recapture that spirit.

Still, I had been seriously considering not renewing my decades-long subscription, and that article just made my decision.

In all fairness, though, that issue of C&D also contains an article that is an absolute must-read for anyone following or wishing to inform themselves on the ongoing Toyota gas pedal and floor mat recalls drama. Tellingly, that one appeared since December 2009 on their website but just made its way onto print. I assume a good number of you have seen it, but here's the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tion-tech_dept
Old 02-01-10, 08:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats funny is the people up in arms about the article run to the mail slot for this magazine, read & collect said magazine lol. A good book is better than any car magazine. If you want to learn more about the cars get out there & drive them.
Old 02-01-10, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Whats funny is the people up in arms about the article run to the mail slot for this magazine, read & collect said magazine lol. A good book is better than any car magazine. If you want to learn more about the cars get out there & drive them.
Whats funnier is posting about what people are doing instead of the article.

Everyone, lets post videos of people walking around and sitting in a car!

Old 02-01-10, 09:52 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dare you to look into the latest mags in their pub side and see if Lexus recently dropped its ad dollars and thus became animosity....because look.... it was really easy for these guys at XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX to love Lexus when they were buying ad space and ancillary mktg dollars.
Old 02-01-10, 11:05 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ now in an ideal situation, should ad/marketing dollars spent for said car magazine translate into how liked a car company is by the said magazine's editorial staff?

because if that's the case, these magazines should HATE ferrari, lamborghini, and many other niche-market car manufacturers.

also - and imo, readers should NOT be victims of editorial bias, simply because a car company axes its ad/marketing budget for certain car publications. it's not only unfair to the car manufacturer and magazine subscribers, but it also muddles the reputation of said car magazine as an "objective, unbiased" source for information.
Old 02-01-10, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I just read the article and don't understand what all of the fuss is about. The writer gives Toyota/Lexus credit for many of the things they've done and accomplished and then just goes on to give his opinion of what he thinks they need to do. Much like we all do on forums like this. It certainly didn't make me want to run the mag through the shredder.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver's Take on Lexus ( Has Lexus lost its way merge)