Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Recall! For Jazz/Fit Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 09:10 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Recall! For Jazz/Fit Owners

Originally Posted by Reuters
By John Crawley and Nobuhiro Kubo

WASHINGTON/TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp faced scrutiny from Congress over its biggest ever safety recall as rival Honda Motor Co, tipped to gain from Toyota's woes, also said it would recall thousands of cars worldwide.

Honda said it would recall a total of 646,000 units of its Fit/Jazz and City models, including 140,000 in the United States, because of a faulty window switch, after a child died when fire broke out in a car last year.

The announcement came as investors, suppliers and consumers weighed the impact of an unprecedented halt in U.S. production by Toyota, the world's No.1 automaker.

Honda's move, as well as Toyota's recall due to problems with unintended and dangerous acceleration, come at a bad time for the industry as it struggles to lure buyers back to showrooms after a sales slump that helped drag U.S. rivals General Motors and Chrysler into bankruptcy.

In an unusual move, House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman said he would hold a hearing next month to consider how quickly and effectively Toyota responded to complaints about sticking pedals and slipping floormats.

"Like many consumers, I am concerned by the seriousness and scope of Toyota's recent recall announcements," Waxman said in a statement.

KNOCK-ON EFFECTS

Toyota this week suspended North American sales and production of eight models including its best-selling Camry after regulatory pressure, and widened the recall to China and Europe. A Toyota spokeswoman said the company was still checking on whether any vehicles are affected in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa.

Japan's largest company, studied for its devotion to quality, could recall about 8 million vehicles in total -- more than the number of cars and trucks it sold worldwide in 2009.

In Tokyo, some worried about the knock-on effects to Japan's image and economy.

"If Toyota has hard times, there's a high probability that also Japan will," said Takeo Namekata, a 62-year-old office worker. "Particularly, trade will suffer."

Honda's recall added to concerns that the safety-conscious image of Japanese manufacturers would be threatened.

"The Japanese have built their image on reliability, the fact that they make bullet-proof vehicles," said IHS Global Insight analyst Carlos Da Silva.

"It's not that their vehicles are worse than the others, (the recalls are) just showing maybe that their vehicles are like the others. The race to cost cuts and the competition between all the brands is so fierce that even the mighty Japanese are doing things that are not as reliable as they were."

Suppliers were expected to see some fallout.

"If Toyota gets the flu, its suppliers will also be sneezing," said Kevin Chen, president of Gasgoo.com, a major Chinese auto parts trading platform, noting Toyota's hand-picked suppliers depend on the automaker for a living.

International supply companies were most at risk, said Tatsuya Mizuno, president of Mizuno Credit Advisory.

"Of course, there will be negative implications. But if the company recognizes that this problem was caused because of international parts suppliers, then it's conceivable that they could switch to Japanese parts-suppliers," he told financial television service, Reuters Insider.

India's Amtek Auto, which supplies some parts to Toyota in the United States, did not expect a major impact.

"Our exposure to the U.S. has already come down by 50 to 60 percent in the last one year due to the slowdown and recession," said Finance Director Santosh Singhi.

Analysts have estimated the sales halt could cost Toyota at least 50 billion yen ($556 million) in operating profit a month, almost as much as it made in the September quarter.

The impact will also depend on whether Toyota's famously loyal customers begin to abandon the brand, an issue hotly debated on blogs and online forums.

One reader of The Consumerist calling themselves theblackdog, wrote: "I don't think I could trust buying a used Toyota that was manufactured in 2005 or later, so I guess I will be scratching Toyota off of my list to look at."

SAFETY REPUTATION

IHS Global Insight's Da Silva argued Japanese carmakers would be able to salvage their reputation for safety as long as they moved quickly to show the recalls were isolated incidents. "If reliability becomes a permanent issue for Toyota and Honda that would negatively impact sales," he said.

Recalls can show companies care about the cars they build, and don't simply wash their hands of them once they are driven away from the showroom, he added. "It should be an issue if they don't take care of it and if it happens too often."

Toyota shares have dropped 17.6 percent since January 21, when it said it would broaden its recalls by a further 2.3 million vehicles. Shares ended down 2 percent in Tokyo on Friday.

Industry analysts and executives estimate it will cost some $250 million in warranty costs alone for Toyota to address the smaller of the two recalls underway in the United States.

The automaker also faces the fallout from the larger recall that began last year and was broadened this week for vehicles at risk of having floormats that can jam under accelerator pedals.

Then there are the still unknown costs of lost production, financial support to dealers and sales incentives the company has told its retailers it is considering.

In addition, Toyota is certain to face lawsuits from people who claim injuries from the defects or class-action claims on behalf of consumers who will claim the crisis has damaged the value of their cars, analysts say.

(Additional reporting by Bernie Woodall, Soyoung Kim, Kevin Krolicki in Detroit; Chang-Rang Kim and Taiga Uranaka in Tokyo; Janaki Krishan in Mumbai; Fang Yan in Shanghai; Tiisetso Motsoeneng in Johannesburg; Rhys Jones in London and Helen Massy-Beresford in Paris; Editing by Lincoln Feast and David Holmes)

($1=89.95 Yen)
I wonder if the Civic's will also see it(switches appear to be the same)
Old 01-29-10, 09:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That sucks. It's a good thing they're recalling their cars.
Old 01-29-10, 10:00 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
That sucks. It's a good thing they're recalling their cars.
Yepp all for a window switch...
Crank windows FTW!
Old 01-29-10, 01:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/5459666/646000-h...of-fiery-death
Old 01-29-10, 03:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it doesnt have to do with Hondas accelerating out of control, hurling magnetically at Toyotas and crashing into said Toyotas and killing the occupants but leaving the Honda passengers unscathed then I don't care. Toyota's are dangerous and should be driven by no one!!
Old 01-29-10, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Sad, if I am reading right it was her b-day.

FYI, there has been a SURGE in complaints not just with Toyota but with EVERY company. What a mess.

Old 01-29-10, 07:24 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Yepp all for a window switch...
Crank windows FTW!
Lolz, don't remind us of our old 1991 Mitsubishi Colt. I don't wanna go back to manual windows lol

@1SICK

Now is only theoretical but do you think that a lot of the younger generation of vehicle factory workers are becoming lazier? I ask this cause at Toyota Japan, the senior factory supervisors noticed that the newer recruits seem to be showing signs of laziness hence they believe will greatly dampen quality control.

Hence, I think they're offering crash course on basic vehicle assembly.......though I don't know if that will be enough.

Does it lie in worker attitudes or work ethic then?
Old 01-29-10, 08:02 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

The recall affects 2007 and 2008 Honda Fits and Honda Jazz's (same car, different markets) and is centered around the driver's door master window switch. It seems it's highly vulnerable to moisture and when wet can overheat and lead to smoke and fire.

The fix involves fitting a waterproof skirt around the switch to prevent moisture entry. If you have one of these cars you'll probably want to give Honda a call at 1-800-999-1009.
Info i was looking for, because my sister has a 2009 model. Just in case anyone else was wondering what year models it pertains to.
Old 01-29-10, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I saw this recall on the news tonight......I would have asked about it at the D.C. Auto Show today, but I didn't hear about it till after I got home. This seems quite unusual for a Honda product......they rarely have significant problems with electronics or hardware, especially with a switch-sealing problem like this, and typically do some of the tightest-built cars in the industry. Of course, the company is not without occasional defects, as the bad Accord/TL transmissions of the early 2000's showed.

In the old days, before cupholders and Starbucks, a switch problem like this was probably not a big deal (unless you held the door open while it was raining). But, today, with everybody drinking coffee or sodas while driving, and spilling them all over the interior, that is a different matter.
Old 01-29-10, 11:04 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

the article is about honda recall but 3/4 of the content is about toyota hahah wtf. and who the hell would leave their two-year child sleeping in a car alone???
Old 01-30-10, 07:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Lolz, don't remind us of our old 1991 Mitsubishi Colt. I don't wanna go back to manual windows lol

@1SICK

Now is only theoretical but do you think that a lot of the younger generation of vehicle factory workers are becoming lazier? I ask this cause at Toyota Japan, the senior factory supervisors noticed that the newer recruits seem to be showing signs of laziness hence they believe will greatly dampen quality control.

Hence, I think they're offering crash course on basic vehicle assembly.......though I don't know if that will be enough.

Does it lie in worker attitudes or work ethic then?
This is a very good point. The generation change in Japan is quite incredible. THEY HATE CARS, this younger generation. They might indeed have a recruitment problem.

The other thing is cars today are SO MUCH MORE COMPLICATED than 5, 10, 20 years ago. It is much easier to keep a car with great quality in teh 1980s that didn't even have airbags, ABS, or basics we have today, let alone NAV, electric steering, etc.

Since people buy Hondas/Toyotas today with issues, it doesn't really provide incentive to fix anything. Consumers buy them up, year after year.

Old 01-30-10, 12:21 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and who the hell would leave their two-year child sleeping in a car alone???
In doing a lil more research, since the story interested me, the child was strapped in a car seat(sleeping) and had just returned home from grocery shopping for her 2nd birthday party. Her parents left her in the car while they were taking groceries into the house.
Old 01-31-10, 02:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
In doing a lil more research, since the story interested me, the child was strapped in a car seat(sleeping) and had just returned home from grocery shopping for her 2nd birthday party. Her parents left her in the car while they were taking groceries into the house.
That is an absolute no no. The only way I see it as being okay is if one parent was still at the car while the other parent was putting the groceries away in the house. Never leave a child strapped into a car seat in a car when you are not there even for a second. Heck, even if I park my car next to the ATM I unstrap my son and take him with me. If my child is sleeping, I either wake him up, or the carry him into the house as the first thing, then unload the car. That is parenting 101.

It is sad that this happened to this poor child, but it was a mistake by the parents part for leaving her in the car like that. Never leave a child that young in a car unattended period.

Need reasons why this is so? What happens if a kidnapper happens to be walking by the car while the parents are putting groceries away? Perhaps the car is in the garage safe from strangers, but a short circuit in an electronic part starts a fire with the child in the car. Child would be alive today if not for her being left in the car along.
Old 12-16-10, 11:00 AM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/16/h...ial-headlight/

American Honda has announced that it is recalling over 140,000 Fit hatchbacks due to a "potential loss of low-beam headlight functionality," the automaker has told CNN. A total of 143,083 Fits from the 2007 and 2008 model years are affected.

Honda has issued a statement saying that the root of this problem is the plating on the wiring harness connectors for the low-beam headlight circuit. The Japanese automaker states that this plating "can become warn after repeated use ... and cause the connector to overheat and fail, resulting in a loss of low-beam headlight functionality."

The automaker will begin contacting affected owners, but if you're worried about your Fit, you can take them in to your local Honda dealer for inspection and. Naturally, any repair work will be on the automaker's dime