Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"California lawmakers want to take free parking away from you b/c it is BAD for you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hblexus07

As far as people who are "Looking to move out ourselves", my reply, is hurry up and take as many as you can with you.
I agree and to some degree that is happening. Those with lower education and skill levels, less ambition, less successful careers, lower incomes are doing just that. The highly desirable parts of CA are just too expensive for some.
Old 01-31-10, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=IS-SV;5186923]Just as I thought or "true", and I am mystified by a retired person that doesn't travel frequently in their freetime, that's unheard of in my family (retired ones and not).

One reason, among many, why I COULD retire as early as I did was because I didn't blow a lot of cash on long vacations in my earlier years. But that doesn't mean I am a constant couch potato (despite my high number of posts). I do go places occasionally.....I didn't buy a car for nothing. But you're right....my priorties may be a litle different from your family.

Back on topic for a change, yes a little creativity in parking setups to encourage shoppers in business districts can be helpful. We see some of the same creativity with hybrid cars here.
Something else that would go a long way towards making parking spaces more amiable for future shoppers (or employees) would be if the state takes the money collected from these parking fees (since they are the ones who are ultimately going to get the income) and use it to install plug-in charging facilities for the upcoming pure-electric and extended-range plug-in hybrid cars (I saw a number of them at the D.C. Auto Show this week.....you'd be surprised how many either are on the way or are in the process of certification). CA will (probably) be the first state to really embrace these (and other non-petroleum) new vehicles, as it often does with new vehcle types. I think vehicle owners would like it if they could have the batteries in their vehicles being charged while they are inside, shopping. Automakers are now working with utility companies to develop 400-volt chargers that will fully charge an advanced lithium-ion battery in some 20 minutes. If the state is going to rake in the $$$$$ from these parking spaces, they might as well use it for something that, IMO, makes sense.
Old 01-31-10, 03:05 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere that Arnold will veto this bill if it makes it to his desk
Old 01-31-10, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
I read somewhere that Arnold will veto this bill if it makes it to his desk
How you you feel about the bill, personally? I take it that you are one of the CA voters that Arnold will have to answer to in the next election (and, don't forget what happened to Gray Davis, his predecessor).
Old 01-31-10, 03:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree and to some degree that is happening. Those with lower education and skill levels, less ambition, less successful careers, lower incomes are doing just that. The highly desirable parts of CA are just too expensive for some.
basically whats happening, other areas of the US are growing faster than Cali is. Cali is supposedly at risk of LOSING a House seat, while other states might gain House seats.
Old 01-31-10, 03:26 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How you you feel about the bill, personally? I take it that you are one of the CA voters that Arnold will have to answer to in the next election (and, don't forget what happened to Gray Davis, his predecessor).
Stupid Bill in my opinion. Arnold isn't running in the next election. Meg Whitmen the ceo of Ebay is running for governer. Hopefully she can win. She understands how to run a businsess..but you never know who will get elected in California.
Old 01-31-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not just those with lower incomes, either. Nissan U.S.A. itself pulled out of SoCal and set up shop in TN, nearer to its Smyrna plant, because of what it considered too-high costs in CA. It's unclear, though, how much this bill would have actually affected them if they had stayed in CA, or it they would have been allowed to give their own employees free parking there.
Old 01-31-10, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
you never know who will get elected in California.
Definitely. Gray Davis proved that.
Old 01-31-10, 07:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's not all get carried away. If they take free parking away that just means you'll have more time at home to enjoy yourself. Just flick on that huge screen LCD TV and enjoy some great sports events. Oh, wait a minute, next year CA is putting a clamp on those, too. The bad thing is these wack job rulings in CA tend to portend what happens later to the rest of us poor schlubs in middle America.
Old 01-31-10, 07:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely. Gray Davis proved that.
As did Arnold, Boxer and Nancy P. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN in sunny CA.
Old 01-31-10, 08:22 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why hasn't California (aside from progressive cities like San Francisco) start collecting taxes from the hugely popular marijuana storefronts? I've seen numbers in the billions that would generate and every public poll I've seen says California citizens are all for it.