Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"California lawmakers want to take free parking away from you b/c it is BAD for you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Post "California lawmakers want to take free parking away from you b/c it is BAD for you.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/index

No free parking? This article in the LA Times has a number of people up in arms. Apparently California State Senator Alan Lowenthal (D- Long Beach) wants cities to reduce the availability of free parking. And just as the City of Oakland's thrown a parking choke chain around Oaklanders. His proposal won Senate approval. He says this:

"Free parking has significant social, economic and environmental costs. It increases congestion and greenhouse gas emissions."

It's this - wanting to take away free parking - that's the kind of stupid squeezing of Californians during what is now a jobless recovery that will doom Democrats in November. Lowenthal has the backing of the Sierra Club, which picked the wrong issue to wade into, and the Natural Resources Defense Council. The bill reportedly provides financial incentives for cities and counties to stop providing free parking on the street.

The question is, will it provide campaign financing for any Democrat who backs it. The ones who do will get a swift ticket out of office in California. It's really just a money grab dressed up as an environmental concern.

Stay tuned.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz0e3b6O71F

Old 01-29-10, 06:11 PM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, at least there's still free parking in FL :P

But honestly, I think that's ridiculous......
Old 01-29-10, 06:27 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

all this crap in ca, it makes me wanna move outta this state
Old 01-29-10, 06:59 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

what's next? no more free crosswalk?
Old 01-29-10, 07:08 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Talk about a generous stretch on reality

I find it hard to believe that the only reason why there is bumper to bumper traffic on the highway is 'free parking'. But they get an A for creativity on this new tax.
Old 01-29-10, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Want free parking? Heck, just get on an L.A. freeway

(Yes, we often have the same thing here in the D.C area, on our freeways too).

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 10:53 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

wait a second, these same politicians that fight public transit every step and when we do finally get it they bow down to special interest for inadequate stops.... for instance. San Diego has a trolley system that doesn't go to the airport... then LA has a subway, when it was being built the taxi and shuttle unions fought it from stopping at the air port, instead making it a few blocks away so people have to buy a cab..

...total garbage. I would love to use public tranist but it SUCKS in San Diego and the rich don't want it anywhere near them, not to mention a decent airport because it will fly over their million dollar homes.

Give me a break, free parking (steaming mad)

Lets build more toll "car pool lanes" and take away hybrid rights to use them so they too can contibute to regular lane congestion. Soon they will tax you by the mile, forget buying a gas efficient vehicle.
Old 01-29-10, 11:05 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be a moronic tax tax. A tax designed to directly hit the pockets of politicians everytime they come up with crap like this. It's people like them who are the downfall of this nation.....
Old 01-30-10, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Once again, those who sacrifice and work hard to earn a car and the freedom that comes along with it are being punished. Something is very backward about that. Shouldn't we be rewarded for our hard work and ethic? Why not tax those who ride the bus or train? It would be good incentive for them to work harder and get to the next level.
Old 01-30-10, 01:25 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Seriously, what is this state coming to? No free parking, random smog check points, smog citation cameras, metallic tint with 100% visibility (that interferes with any air signal), yearly smog checks, increasing state tax, no funds for education, higher tuition, crowded schools....Dude they're trying to rape us.

Thank god the yearly smog checks hasn't passed.
Old 01-30-10, 01:56 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Problem is the state is broke and desperate. For decades, the gates have been open and we've welcomed too many moochers and funded too many law-breakers. But that's a topic for another time.
Old 01-30-10, 09:27 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I know it's selfish, and will probably get flamed over this but, I have a nice home in a downtown area of a beach community in So. Cal., and I have been in favor of reducing the free parking for some time. I see tons of people parking near my home and setting up camp, bar-b-queing, dumping their coals on my lawn, leaving their trash including food wrappers, beer cans, bottles, you name it. If reducing the free parking will eliminate these people using my home as their trash can, then 's.

The few ruin it for the many.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 01-30-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 11:00 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Well, I know it's selfish, and will probably get flamed over this but, I have a nice home in a downtown area of a beach community in So. Cal., and I have been in favor of reducing the free parking for some time. I see tons of people parking near my home and setting up camp, bar-b-queing, dumping their coals on my lawn, leaving their trash including food wrappers, beer cans, bottles, you name it. If reducing the free parking will eliminate these people using my home as their trash can .

No I agree with you a bit. I live in San Diego and ever since that 56 fwy opened up years ago, the beaches at Del Mar have just been SLAMMED with people from Poway, RB, Scripps Ranch. It's hard to find parking there now. There's really no way to enforce paid parking there as most of the parking is in a residential area.

Personally I'd say if you were going to a place where you're going to spend money (i.e. mall) then free parking. Pay for parking at places where you don't spend money (i.e parks and beaches).
Old 01-30-10, 11:41 AM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Yet another reason i dont live in Cali.
Old 01-30-10, 11:46 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Well, I know it's selfish, and will probably get flamed over this but, I have a nice home in a downtown area of a beach community in So. Cal., and I have been in favor of reducing the free parking for some time. I see tons of people parking near my home and setting up camp, bar-b-queing, dumping their coals on my lawn, leaving their trash including food wrappers, beer cans, bottles, you name it. If reducing the free parking will eliminate these people using my home as their trash can, then 's.

Free parking isn't the real cause of your problems - it's people who litter and the lack of enforcement of current laws.

Quick Reply: "California lawmakers want to take free parking away from you b/c it is BAD for you.