Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid Auto Show Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 12:55 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid Auto Show Pics

Pics from the auto show. Had to get the person to unlock the car for me.

HYBRID trunk badging is the only clue.

Hybrid battery housed under the hood

it only weighs 25kg!

Trunk is unaffected because there's no battery pack here
Old 01-31-10, 07:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would drive this. Too bad it doesnt have the DI 3.5L that Mercedes sells now in Europe. That would give it a really superb balance of acceleration and economy. Cylinder deactivation would also be a good means for making the mild hybrid more worthwhile. Worked for the Accord hybrid anyway.
Old 01-31-10, 08:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I would drive this. Too bad it doesnt have the DI 3.5L that Mercedes sells now in Europe. That would give it a really superb balance of acceleration and economy. Cylinder deactivation would also be a good means for making the mild hybrid more worthwhile. Worked for the Accord hybrid anyway.
Hmm........cylinder shut-off system?

AFAIK only a few engines have it as of the moment (i.e. the Honda J series V6 engine with VCM, HEMI V8 and the Bentley 6.3 liter V8 engine)

Old 01-31-10, 11:14 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Mercedes has cylinder shut off systems in their V12 for over 10 years now. It would be nice for them to bring it to all the V8 and V6 models.
Old 01-31-10, 11:47 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Mercedes has cylinder shut off systems in their V12 for over 10 years now. It would be nice for them to bring it to all the V8 and V6 models.
They actually stopped using it in 2003 when they went F/I.
Old 01-31-10, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Benz reports 10% of sales are for the hybrid already. I think its a great move for them.

Old 01-31-10, 01:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The standard of hybrid flagships...I love it!
Old 01-31-10, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The standard of hybrid flagships...I love it!
The flagship hybrid for Mercedes.

Old 01-31-10, 01:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The flagship hybrid for Mercedes.
Its not just the hybrid part that makes it the standard of flagships, its the whole overall car. Interior, driving, options etc...that is why the current S-Class is still ahead of the BMW 7 series and Audi A8
Old 01-31-10, 01:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The S400 looks nice, and is an interesting application of the mild-hybrid technology. However, let's be clear here, it's not the chart-topping S-Class in the way that the LS 600h L is for the LS-Line. The S400 is the most affordable model in the S-Class lineup, and gets about 80 hp less. I do think that this is a more sales volume approach because it combines the more affordable base price and fuel economy concerns (and evidently avoids the gas guzzler tax which the S550 gets hit with). Later MB models will come with a more sophisticated full-hybrid system.

One interesting side note is that according to the EPA's ratings, the S400 has a combined 21 mpg rating, which is the same as the LS 600h L's 21 mpg combined rating; however the city/highway difference is significant, S400 at 19/26 and LS 600h L at 20/22; the LSh also weighs about 1K lbs more and has about 150 more hp. Both the S400 and LS 600h L have an EPA greenhouse gas emission rating of 8.7 tons per year.
Old 01-31-10, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Its not just the hybrid part that makes it the standard of flagships, its the whole overall car. Interior, driving, options etc...that is why the current S-Class is still ahead of the BMW 7 series and Audi A8
Which is your opinion.

Originally Posted by encore888
The S400 looks nice, and is an interesting application of the mild-hybrid technology. However, let's be clear here, it's not the chart-topping S-Class in the way that the LS 600h L is for the LS-Line. The S400 is the most affordable model in the S-Class lineup, and gets about 80 hp less. I do think that this is a more sales volume approach because it combines the more affordable base price and fuel economy concerns (and evidently avoids the gas guzzler tax which the S550 gets hit with).

One interesting side note is that according to the EPA's ratings, the S400 has a combined 21 mpg rating, which is the same as the LS 600h L's 21 mpg combined rating; however the city/highway difference is significant, S400 at 19/26 and LS 600h L at 20/22; the LSh also weights about 1K lbs more and has about 150 more hp. Both the S400 and LS 600h L have an EPA greenhouse gas emission rating of 8.7 tons per year.
Exactly. Both are hybrids, both are fantastic and are differently executed. Great post.

Old 01-31-10, 02:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The S400 looks nice, and is an interesting application of the mild-hybrid technology. However, let's be clear here, it's not the chart-topping S-Class in the way that the LS 600h L is for the LS-Line. The S400 is the most affordable model in the S-Class lineup, and gets about 80 hp less. I do think that this is a more sales volume approach because it combines the more affordable base price and fuel economy concerns (and evidently avoids the gas guzzler tax which the S550 gets hit with). Later MB models will come with a more sophisticated full-hybrid system.

One interesting side note is that according to the EPA's ratings, the S400 has a combined 21 mpg rating, which is the same as the LS 600h L's 21 mpg combined rating; however the city/highway difference is significant, S400 at 19/26 and LS 600h L at 20/22; the LSh also weighs about 1K lbs more and has about 150 more hp. Both the S400 and LS 600h L have an EPA greenhouse gas emission rating of 8.7 tons per year.

All said well, but hybrid or no hybrid, the S-Class is still a better overall car than the LS...even with the efforts by BMW and Audi with their recent redesigns, the S-Class still remains king of flagships.
Old 01-31-10, 02:10 PM
LexFather

All said well, but hybrid or no hybrid, the S-Class is still a better overall car than the LS...even with the efforts by BMW and Audi with their recent redesigns, the S-Class still remains king of flagships.
Again, which is your opinion. Some share it with you, others do not. It is not definite, it is not absolute. I do believe anything in that class is utterly superb and anyone would be more than happy with anyone of them.

Old 01-31-10, 02:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The S400 looks nice, and is an interesting application of the mild-hybrid technology. However, let's be clear here, it's not the chart-topping S-Class in the way that the LS 600h L is for the LS-Line.
Technically the S-Class Hybrid and LS Hybrid really don't compete with each other anyway. Its very hard to cross shop the two. The S-Class is and entry level flagship vehicle with an emphasis on fuel economy and lower prices. The LS on the other hand really competes with the V12 S-Class and BMW V12 7 series, both on price and performance.

I am sure the next LS Hybrid will tone it down a level to better compete with the S-Class Hybrid more head on. Especially on pricing.
Old 01-31-10, 03:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe you also get the Blue Efficiency badging next to the wheel well

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid Auto Show Pics