Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Dealer with Cheap Shot at Toyota (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 03:45 AM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Other car makers will do anything right now to steal sales.

I have to say, kudos to the Honda dealer for having the ***** to call out Toyota on their billboard
Times are tough and people will stoop to anything to sell cars nowadays. Definitely a low blow, but......
Old 02-01-10, 05:54 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Sign definitely got your attention

People forgot something, dealers are in the business to make money so when you have a chance to steal some sales, pursuit it.

Do you think when honda have the tyranny issue, toyota dealers or any other dealerships for that matter are supporting honda dealerships? It's simple .. it's business ..
Old 02-01-10, 05:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

All of my Hondas have rusted.

Besides, I think that Ford will grab the sales that Toyota is hemorrhaging.
Old 02-01-10, 08:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amusing somewhat, but that's about all.
Old 02-01-10, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Other car makers will do anything right now to steal sales.
Yep.....the law of the jungle. When you have an injured animal that can't keep up with the pack, it doesn't take long for the lions and wolves to start gathering.

GM and Ford are already offering incentives on Toyota trade-ins. But, then, of course, THEY will be stuck with a bunch of (possibly) defective used cars that THEY will have to repair (at their own expense) before then can be re-sold....Toyota is not likely going to do service work for Ford and Chevy dealers free.
Old 02-01-10, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
THEY will be stuck with a bunch of (possibly) defective used cars that THEY will have to repair (at their own expense) before then can be re-sold....Toyota is not likely going to do service work for Ford and Chevy dealers free.
Not likely and I doubt that for a couple of reasons. This is a safety recall under the scrutiny of the NHTSA, etc. This is not free service work or maintenance. Toyota would not benefit from having unsafe cars circulating in the nations used car inventory even if it's outside of Toyota dealership.
Old 02-01-10, 10:17 AM
Koma

I wonder if that dealership owns a Toyota dealership as well? I hope not, cause you just threw your other dealership under the bus.
Old 02-01-10, 10:27 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

funny, little do these clowns know that the money goes back to the same home country.

v/r
Old 02-01-10, 12:39 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Love it, have to respect aggressive business.

Much like Verizon going after ATT right now, when you smell blood, eat.
Old 02-01-10, 12:39 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogers2
funny, little do these clowns know that the money goes back to the same home country.

v/r
No, those clowns are bringing money into the dealer that fills their own pockets.
Old 02-01-10, 01:20 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

THEY will be stuck with a bunch of (possibly) defective used cars that THEY will have to repair (at their own expense) before then can be re-sold....Toyota is not likely going to do service work for Ford and Chevy dealers free.
Toyota must fix the pedals for the cars recalled regardless if it is under warranty, out warranty, sold, unsold or owned be another dealer.
Old 02-01-10, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not likely and I doubt that for a couple of reasons. This is a safety recall under the scrutiny of the NHTSA, etc. This is not free service work or maintenance. Toyota would not benefit from having unsafe cars circulating in the nations used car inventory even if it's outside of Toyota dealership.

Toyota must fix the pedals for the cars recalled regardless if it is under warranty, out warranty, sold, unsold or owned be another dealer.

OK, we'll let the lawyers and the Government determine responsibility for the repairs, but, even so, tracking down thousands (or millions) of VINs, scattered all over the place, is going to be a real mess....especially if they have been resold by non-Toyota dealerships. State DMV and registration lists might help some.

Just as an aside note, I talked to one of my old friends today.....a guy I've known for many years (he is a Toyota service director..one step above the service manager). He said, at his shop (and it's a BIG shop), they have had only a couple actual cases of real pedal problems......and they were from people who used double-level floor mats instead of taking the bottom one out like they should when they replace it. Most of this whole mess, according to him, been huge media overload. But, even the same, he's tied up in meeting after meeting on it; day in and day out.
Old 02-01-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

OK, we'll let the lawyers and the Government determine responsibility for the repairs, but, even so, tracking down thousands (or millions) of VINs, scattered all over the place, is going to be a real mess....especially if they have been resold by non-Toyota dealerships. State DMV and registration lists might help some.
That's what computers are for, it's much less of a mess via computers. I'm confident Toyota will step-up to the task and certainly won't be avoiding the repair to save money. The repair costs are minor compared to all the other costs of non-action (including additional legal costs as you mentioned).
Old 02-01-10, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's what computers are for, it's much less of a mess via computers. I'm confident Toyota will step-up to the task and certainly won't be avoiding the repair to save money.
That's why I mentioned state DMV registration lists....they will undoubtedly help some. Toyota, as you note, has the money for the repairs......that is probably not going to be an issue, even though Toyota lost money last year for probably the first time in its history.

And it's a shame this led to such a huge issue, when at least part of the problem (not all of it) could be prevented with just a little common sense in how owners use and place the floor mats. Common sense tells you you don't bunch up the mats in double and triple-layers....yet that is what some people still do.

The repair costs are minor compared to all the other costs of non-action (including additional legal costs as you mentioned).
Yes, probably true.....but I just wonder what the settlement on that classic ES350 accident in CA that killed the state cop, and his family, is going to be. On that one, Toyota may have to face the state of CA itself as a plaintiff, not just surviving members of the cop's estate. Whenever a cop gets killed, it's always a big deal....you know that.