Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen Lexus SC rendered (not from Lexus)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 11:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rendering is nice although it just just looks like a better IS convertible than the one they actually sell. And I have to disagree about the first vs. second gen SC. I think the first gen was a beauty while the second gen is too frog-like. I have never thought of it as a pretty car while the first gen is still a much nicer shape and overall design.
Old 02-01-10, 12:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)

While the first SC is not even worth mentioning (at least not in terms of design) the second one proved to be a pretty strong player. It was the first luxury cabriolet with 2 + 2 seats and got to be known all over the world due to various rap clips . The Lexus design changed dramatically in 2005, when the beta "L-finesse" produced the magnificent second IS. The 2007 LS further pointed that the IS was no accident and Toyotas can also look stunning. We can now dare and dream at the third generation SC that could bring us the rough-sporty side of the "L-finesse" philosophy. . An increased wheelbase should be a must on the new car, that way it can have descent rear room, and a real chance against the competition

The 1st Gen not worth mentioning in terms of design? That's a first!
The first SC was considered one of the greatest design achievements ever. While the second was considered by many as a mediocre design and even ugly to some.

I've hoped for years that the 3rd Gen will go back to the body style and proportions of the first.
Old 02-01-10, 12:27 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks kinda IS/G37 C/Solara(ish) if you ask me.
Old 02-01-10, 02:07 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when the IS-C exists, why should anyone care about buying a SC430?
that's true. Lexus wants to compete with the 3 series pound for pound, so I assume a non-convertible hardtop IS coupe in store
Old 02-01-10, 02:08 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Looks kinda IS/G37 C/Solara(ish) if you ask me.
that front end does look like an IS
Old 02-01-10, 02:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when the IS-C exists, why should anyone care about buying a SC430?
Is that even a serious question?
Old 02-01-10, 03:09 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The rendering is not bad. Mercedes SL should be the template for the next SC.

SC600H/SC-F........SL63/SL65 AMG... It would be a toss up for the buyer
Old 02-01-10, 04:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

They can do two things with the SC. Make it an S-Coupe competitor or SL-competitor.

I do hope they go with the S-Coupe competitor, seeing in that category (different price range and horsepower range) you have the RR Phantom Coupe and Ferrari 612 ... So the power of a Ferrari, the luxury of RR and the price of a Lexus... Now that be something
Old 02-01-10, 04:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I hope the new one is a looker like this rendering. If its not from Lexus it means nothing probably but I still wish they would knock it out of the park with the next one
Old 02-01-10, 04:44 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I prefer the overall idea of the 1SC over the 2SC. A true Lexus coupe should be that of a 2 door car with a hardtop not a bubbly looking convertible with a hard top. Some may disagree with me, but the current 2SC was never one of my favorite Lexus designs. The 1SC should have continued in it's true form as a real 4 seater, 2 door car.
Agreed... I hope if Lexus ever going to make another SC. Make sure it is a true Coupe with 2door, hard top, and 4 seater like the 1SC.
Old 02-01-10, 06:46 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

^ This.

I have a 1SC, and my mother has a 2SC.

While both of them are amazing machines in their own right, they are just too different to have the same name on the rear ends.

So yea, bring back the coupe. Call the hard top convertible something else or add a letter if you want. We could use both models on the market.

Either way, make history doing it the way the 1SC did.

Please?

And for the love of all things mechanical, put THREE PEDALS IN IT. Lexus really blows at this lately, and I had to jump ship to another marque to get my 3 pedals in my daily driver. I want to come back to Lexus.
Old 02-01-10, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Well we have a IS-C now.....the next IS will be around in the next couple of years and surely a coupe/convert won't be as much as an afterthought as this model. The IS is the sportiest/fun Lexus (outside the LFA).

The SC has to extend on the IS capabilities. Thus I expect it to be bigger next go round and clearly even more luxurious. I do not know if they will got the current SC route of a true "GT" or go back to injecting some sport in the SC. As I have reported, Lexus is still not sure where to take the 3SC. Hybrid SC?

I don't mind the SC staying its route IF a GS-C comes. THe SC and LS can stay the uber Lexus luxury vehicles and the GS-C can be a bigger IS-C.

It is clear Lexus is expanding their models, so we shall see.

Old 02-01-10, 07:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well we have a IS-C now.....the next IS will be around in the next couple of years and surely a coupe/convert won't be as much as an afterthought as this model. The IS is the sportiest/fun Lexus (outside the LFA).

The SC has to extend on the IS capabilities. Thus I expect it to be bigger next go round and clearly even more luxurious. I do not know if they will got the current SC route of a true "GT" or go back to injecting some sport in the SC. As I have reported, Lexus is still not sure where to take the 3SC. Hybrid SC?

I don't see why they couldn't do both
Old 02-01-10, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I don't see why they couldn't do both
good point

So maybe;
IS-C-sport
GS-C sport
SC-sport sport baby LFA?
ES-C luxury
LS-C luxury

Now the thing is coupes DO NOT sell. Only the 3 coupe and G37 coupe sell in figures over 1k a month. If you go to the monthly sales figures, most coupes sell under even 600 units a month. Benz doesn't move many coupes.

So the fight to get coupes is still an uphill battle.

Old 02-02-10, 12:13 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SC should be positioned to fight the big CL not the SL. No roadster, just a fast, comfortable, luxurious two door hard top, ala 1SC. I never really loved the 2SC. Different car, different buyer all together.

Quick Reply: Next gen Lexus SC rendered (not from Lexus)